Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:30 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:30 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

Warnings: 0
travis P wrote:
But is that "it should've been around £31,000-£37,000" for you??? Don't forget The Banker plays with the contestant and not just the board.

I know that, but we've seen better offers back in 2006 and they were at least sensible :?

travis P wrote:
If you was playing the game for real today, then you wouldn't had an offer no where near above £30,000 for a £5 Vs £100,000 final two.

Then fair enough, I would've won £100,000, simple

travis P wrote:
Remember you will not see offers to suit some people as he has got his trend with the offers spot on and you will need to readjust.

Then the Banker's trend has gotten worse since Mike's £1,000 deal :(

Just my opinion :-)

tr4962

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:35 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

Mad Mark wrote:
This game did not contain win.

Thus, it's an

How the hell is it an Banana Sandwich, Kate won £20,000 for goodness sake, not to mention bravely turning down good offers along the way.
Fair enough she didn't beat the banker, but she certainly didn't fail

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:35 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

tr4962 wrote:
How the hell is it an Banana Sandwich?

It's because she blew £80,000, which is a lot more than £20,000 :|

It'll be a shame that she'll never have the chance to win £100,000 again in her life :(

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:37 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate
Forum Games Moderator

I'd say moderate fail - £20,000 was good money, it is better than nothing!

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:38 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

Yeah actually, I'd say it's a Moderate Fail, she dealt at her highest offer in the game but she lost to the Banker

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:16 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate
International Forums Moderator

Well, she did turn good offers down on a dangerous board with Box 4 in her mind and then just to remind us she wasn't Wakey, she deals at the end.

Not a clue what I'd have done at two-box, probably taken it. Hope so as I'd have swapped :D

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

God. Nobody called Harry stupid when he dealt for less on a similar last pair becuase he had the blue in his box. Clealry these people don't risk 20 grand with a 50:50 chance of winning a fiver. If the blue had been in Kate's box you'd have all called her fantastic (or even if there'd been a hypo swap at the end) :)

It wasn't as if she left really early on an excellent board!

I thought that was very well played actaully - I thought she was going to deal at 5-box so it's not as though she didn't take any risks beforehand, and that last box was really tense knowing the wrong pick would mean a last offer of less than ten quid. It's uncanny how often big money is at the table but with no sort of back-up there, and winning a fiver after working hard to get to that point would have been horrible.

And also good play at the end, reminded me somewhat of the end of Stacey-Anne's game - I too am very reluctant to gamble large sums when one of the boxes is worth pocket change, but would also be very reluctant to deal 17.5k, so she did really well to get an extra 2.5k out of him. And she played the game in a happy cheerful manner as well despite the 250k going first box - in a way I think she might have been relieved that she didn;t have the "Laura" thing hanging over her!

And the moment with Kerrie should get shown in an end-of-season montage!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

daniel4389

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:54 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

Argh that "Mystery Offer" is the most stupid twist yet...I know I should just stop trying to see any kind of logic in what the Banker does as he's really just a producer wanting to make a good show, but if we're supposed to see him as a mean guy trying to save as much money as possible then why on EARTH would his "Mystery Offer" be £20k? She had to have it whatever it was so all it had to be was more than £17.5k...I was expecting £17,500.01 'cos that's the only thing that would make any sense if we're meant to actually believe in the Banker's motives...I guess the answer to that is that we're not...

KP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:03 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate
International Forums Moderator

I'm reminded of how someone said on the Bar aaaaaaaages ago (2005!) that the Banker's role isn't so much buying the box as being the equivalent of a 'games master' on roleplaying games - he's actually there to create challenges for the player and make it 'interesting'. To me, this was interesting, but you do have to buy into that belief to accept that.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

tr4962

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

killersbee wrote:

It'll be a shame that she'll never have the chance to win £100,000 again in her life :(

Theres always the lottery, who knows?

mallard2007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Author: mallard2007    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

interesting show today! I was a bit confused about what the banker was doing at first, but I understood it eventually! lol :oops: Imagine how much more exciting it'd have been though if the banker had said that he might decrease the offer, or he might increase it - what would Kate have done then? :shock: well done to her though - it doesn't matter that she had £100k in her box, as the banker could've increased the offer a lot, and then it'd have been a very good deal! I thought he'd either incrrease it by a 1p as a joke, or increase it by a lot, so it was a bit of a shock to see it only go up by a mediocre amount. A good game nonetheless, I think this first week of January has had more twists and turns than some of the whole months of 2008! :-D

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

killersbee wrote:
tr4962 wrote:

It's because she blew £80,000, which is a lot more than £20,000

Yes, she did blow £80,000, Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The important thing is that she got £20,000. There was a 50:50 chance of her winning a fiver. She had two options, and took the sensible option. She wanted to buy a house. She couldn't buy a house with a fiver. £20,000 is at least some of a deposit. I really enjoyed her game. I was fully expecting her to deal at £8,000.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:33 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

Reasonable game today, with an odd twist at the end which is open to fair amount of manipulation on the banker's part - I mean, on a technicality, he could've offered £17,500.01 and she would've had to take it, and she should be prepared for that. But I think she was fairly content with the £17,500, and the banker rewarded her initiative (although some might call it cheek :P ). It's a twist that has limited shelf life for me.

I've thought of a better working of this twist, though. If the player asks to increase the offer, the banker says they can toss a coin or something - if it's heads, the initial offer is doubled (in this case £35k) or increased significantly, but if it's tails, the offer is a swap. That creates some extra jeopardy over asking for an increase, and players would have to think carefully before they asked.

The current twist is always going to be a bit flat because the banker is still settling for an amount he is comfortable at buying the box at for the player, otherwise he wouldn't suggest it...

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:45 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

A good game today. The people who think the banker is going to offer £30k on a board like that are living in a fantasy world in my opinion.

The twist at the end seemed a bit odd and I'm glad the increase wasn't a joke one (although a little extra would have been nice)

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:43 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

killersbee wrote:
tr4962 wrote:

It's because she blew £80,000, which is a lot more than £20,000(

i do wish people wouldnt say 'blew' or 'squandered' a certain amount of money since they never actually had the cash in the bank or in their hand or elsewhere for that matter. the 'money' in the box is never a guarantee and has to be fought for so you cant blow or squander a metaphysical amount before you've even got it! :? it isnt possible!

just a minor irritation ;)

Maud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

I wanna be an Banana Sandwich and have 20k in my bank, I'd much rather it to a fiver thats for sure.

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate
Forum Games Moderator

Agreed Maud ;)

It's just that boxes think different

Last edited by Skyline on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:42 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

What? Why is the response so bad to this game?

I really enjoyed it, Kate was a brilliant charcacter who brought loads of energy to the game. I have no problem at all with her deal and that sort of offer was expected. I'm afraid those who want a £30,000 offer on similar final twos wont be seeing that.

Well done Kate, you were brilliant!

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:01 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

Simon F wrote:
The people who think the banker is going to offer £30k on a board like that are living in a fantasy world in my opinion.

That wasn't the case back in Early 2006, though was it? :?

Tom wrote:
Why is the response so bad to this game?

It's because we had a run of huge wins recently, we were expecting another one and then this happened :?

I hope 2009 doesn't turn into last year all over again... :|

greeny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:16 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: 07/01 Kate

KB, you need to learn to be patient, you can't have big wins all the time, and if they did happen all the time, they'd get boring as they'd be so frequent. Variety is what makes this show so good, so stop moaning.

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]