Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:14 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:14 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

Warnings: 0
Well I didn't expect another big win game like this. I also didn't think Billy was going to get that far in the game and thought he was going to deal earlier in the game, but at the final offer it seemed like Billy was actually going to no deal it and go for the £250,000 win. Luckily he didn't as it turned out and took, what I considered, to be a generous offer when the Banker could have easily offered less on that final pairing.

Scrooge & Santa this year is certainly producing some tense & exciting games.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:45 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials
International Forums Moderator

Power5 wrote:
Like it or not the show needed some Wakeyist games with good outcomes! I lost interest because it got to the stage where virtually every game was either someone settling for an easy £15k or having a game that never got going and winning a blue. There's no excitement in that, and looking at the stats it has continued throughout most of the year with nearly every week being towards the bottom of the money table.

It's a shame these games have come in a bunch, really - they'd have been so much more exciting were they spread out as monthly occurances.

Quote:
So it's good to see that the show hasn't been "credit crunched" for good and there are still players willing to take a chance and not settle for easy target offers on decent boards.

Will we, in time, come to see this show as a show of its time, an emblem of the economic bubble, with contestants winning fortunes in a game of gambling on the value of decidedly abstract and volatile products, aided and abetted by the regulator falling asleep on the job and positively encouraging the risk-taking practices? Does this show work in a recession, in particular in its current Noel-fronted guise?

Let's not forget that these two games came from one-box-to-open rounds where a spiral of 'just one more' can easily be triggered, and the two huge box wins last week came from insult offers (that one was on Scrooge with a knowing banker makes no odds here, it's still a forced No Deal and the only decision's the swap!). Let's judge the show when we're back to regular games to see if we have a new Wakey Winter on our hands. For this game to come right after a filming break is massively significant though - there was every chance the effect of Lauren's game would have evaporated over the summer, but judging from the Wakeyism of both Noel and Billy today that is apparently not the case.

Quote:
By the way is this the best ever total win over 2 days excluding Laura's game?

Yes.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:11 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

Oh yes, this is the show that led to hundreds of pilgrims standing outside the holding area waiting for it to finish - it was truly an epic, over 3 hours to record I believe, and was contributory to the reason I arrived back home about 1am that day....

Anyway... being as I was on the premises during this game, I heard a whisper that Billy won 'nearly 70 grand', so after the offer pattern, I presumed £69,555 would be the deal on an all-or-peanuts final 2. However, Noel's sense of round would differ largely from mine. Anyway, it was another hefty win, so no complaints!

Of course, it made it less nerve-wracking to know he wouldn't hit the biggie at the end there, that would've been awful to suddenly lose £26k like that, and to only have £10 in the box was awesome!

What could tomorrow bring, I wonder. I literally have no idea. All I know is that someone resembling me will be sitting in the 3rd row in a silly santa hat close to a contestant's relative :P

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

taff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:14 am    Author: taff    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

Grrrrrrr! I was hoping to go down on the first day of filming after the summer break but something cropped up and so had to postpone the visit. That game must have been fantastic to watch live.
I think that's the first Power5 that Mary has had in her box and I was quite relieved when he dealt as I suspected that's where the 250K was.
Can we take any more of this excitement?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

She had the £250,000 last week too...apart from that, none others.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

KP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:53 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

StatsMan wrote:
Oh yes, this is the show that led to hundreds of pilgrims standing outside the holding area waiting for it to finish - it was truly an epic, over 3 hours to record I believe, and was contributory to the reason I arrived back home about 1am that day....

Now that's one heck of a way for the pilgrims to get value for their no money!! I wonder how long he took to decide at £26,555 and how he came to the No Deal...

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:54 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

KP wrote:
We have a new Wakey Winter, folks! Except this one's needed to be triggered by low offers rather than insanely high ones.

If he'd gambled at £68,555 and not swapped I'd have been in absolute hysterics though - what result could have more irony than a complete Wakeyist game producing the biggest collapse in DoND history on the show airing on Noel's 60th birthday courtesy of a player who was anything but a Wakeyist on the wings but seemed from this text commentary alone to be heavily swayed by the host?!?

Still, it's great to see Endemol losing all this money!!!

I don't think he was "anything but", I believe he did show signs of being a gambler, and indeed he said so at the start pf the game before Noel had said much at all - I had him in the mould of another 1p Adam/Les/Swappy 20k Derek who seemed to be advising others to deal but not giving away they wouldn't do so themselves....

And and great to see another familiar face (Power 5) back as well! :)

I bet Sr Wilson would still have called him an idiot for dealing the £68,555 and not swapping though.... ;-)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:57 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

Nah, Wilson hates the swap! :D

And I'll take your word for it, you've actually seen the edited shows, I've only seen the commentaries! Although I do think Billy may have been influenced by Noel talking him down as Captain Doom, causing him to try too hard to disprove that - and look at how Noel apparently did a Wakeyist pep-talk at 14-box!!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:56 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

I'm so they glad they mentioned it being Noel's birthday! I was at pub quiz last night and one question was "Which celebrity's name gives away the fact that he was born on Christmas Day?"; everyone said Noel Edmonds and I was like "Noooo he's 22nd or 23rd or something, they mentioned his birthday on the show and it definitely wasn't Christmas Day"...then the answer was Noel Edmonds. :| I knew it was wrong but didn't complain too much as it would have looked rather sad...

KP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:15 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

Banana Sandwich!!! It was only proven wrong hours earlier!!!

(As, indeed, was any notion of his neutrality.)

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:34 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

Haha...quite low at £68,555 and he can go to Florida...oh about 10 or 11 times with that! :lol: :lol:
About 100 if he went on his own...

Enjoy the money Billy

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

KP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re:

daniel123 wrote:
Haha...quite low at £68,555 and he can go to Florida...oh about 10 or 11 times with that! :lol: :lol:
About 100 if he went on his own...

He could buy an apartment in Florida for that now their property bubble has burst. Seriously.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:24 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

Something must be wrong with me...because I found this game just really flat, even with the massive win...

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:30 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 22/12 Billy - Santa or Scrooge Specials

Another great game with a brilliant result, I would have hated to see Billy blow all that money so it was a huge relief when he finally said Deal.

I think you'd have to be a pretty reckless gambler to risk £68,000 odd on a 50/50 chance where the losing hand would reward you with just £10. Excellent stuff

[ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]