Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:58 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:03 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

Warnings: 0
Seeing the offer being £29,000 i thought the £750 would be in his box, i don't no why i just thought it would be. But after seeing the £35,000 in 22 it just makes you think the banker played that very well! I would have dealt £29,000 so i don't grudge Leon one single bit!

A great game as it turned out and i hope Leon enjoys £29,000! :-D

KP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:04 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials
International Forums Moderator

Craig wrote:
I would have dealt £29,000 so i don't grudge Leona one single bit!

Neither do I, she had much more of a career than Leon :D :D :D

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:05 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

KP wrote:
Craig wrote:
I would have dealt £29,000 so i don't grudge Leona one single bit!

Neither do I, she had much more of a career than Leon :D :D :D

I'm listening to Leona Lewis thats why i typed that :lol:

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:09 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

Hey, I'll take this over yesterday's disaster. Enjoy £29,000, Leon!

killersbee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:21 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

Yeah I thought £29K was good but it was only £1,000 short for me, so I would've carried on and dealt the next offer, making it an Epic Win

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:23 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials
Forum Games Moderator

killersbee wrote:
See what I mean, it was the Scrooge that did it :(

Today's game in two words: Moderate Fail

Me in three words: Absolute Total Fail.
Today's game in I really dont care how many words: Good IMO. Looking at the final five, even I can't blame Leon for taking the £29k. I didn't think the offer would be that high, it seems the Banker really did...want...a useless...cardboard box for £29,000. I wouldn't go as far as £10 for one myself, but there you go. Each to his own.
An interesting final two, and ONLY because it looks nice I would have taken £65,000. Welldone Leon.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:29 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

The scrooge games certainly are far more fascinating than the santa games. I think the best thing to do is ignore the fact that the banker knows what's in your box and just play the board and the offer.

A high offer could mean either:
a) You think it's been offered because you have a big amount in the board.
b) You think it's been offered by the banker to make you think there's a big amount in your box and no deal when in fact the banker knows you have a blue and is bluffing you.

Then you have to decide if you no deal whether the banker is bluffing at 2 box and whether you should swap. It's a heck of a lot easier to just take a good offer at 5 box.

In the end, the banker was gambling that there would be a red left with the £35k and luckily for him, it was the £100k. Had it been a £35k/blue finish, it would have been a much better feeling at the end of the game.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

The Scrooge certainly produced some fascinating gameplay at the end there. I think I would've carried on despite the generosity of the offer, as I thought he would be buying a red with that offer, and there was a 60% chance of that. Just a hunch. It's equally reasonable to presume that he's double-bluffing you though, as we saw spectacularly with Em earlier in the year, so we'll see what his tactic is later in the week!

Basically, if you're in doubt over the mind games, the best option is to deal, and I can't blame Leon for that, and as he said, he was practically 3 times his target anyway, which is a great result for him.

On another note, they seem to be showing more of the audience this week, which can only be a bad thing for when my shows come round! I can't help laughing considering they were dressed up like this in June, it was ridiculous enough in October!

Anyway, stay tuned!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:10 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

When the Banker said he really didn't want Leon to get to 5-box I presumed he was just joking and suspected that we'd still get the usual low offers to try and 'force' Leon on to 5-box. Instead there was actually some very generous offers in the game (I never expected £18,000 at the second offer), and i'm struggling to remember the last game that had 5-figure offers for the entire game.

In a way I was kind of glad to see the 'Scrooge' bauble today and it did provide for an interesting situation. The offer of £29,000 was generous enough to think that perhaps a red was in the box, yet by just being under the £30,000 it was also an offer that would tempt some people into a no deal, especially due to the three Power 5 amounts remaining, in order to chase a Power 5 win.

It was by no means a bad deal Leon did, just unlucky that he didn't find the £100,000 during the last round. However, trying to work out Banker's mind games and what he's up to is always tricky and not knowing if he's bluffing or double-bluffing etc, so it's always best to consider the game board & the offer itself at the time and try to ignore his mind games.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:27 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

Good game, shame about the result. Though £29k is tasty money in anyone's language

I have to say I wouldn't want to face off against the banker knowing that he knew the contents of my box, I'd be constantly second guessing myself, so i don't blame Leon one bit for getting out when he did.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:05 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

I liked Leon, he seemed a decent grounded chap who thought the board and offers through instead of just bailing at the first sign of trouble and he attracted better offers than the average 2008 player.

I agree with the sentiments about the banker knowing the box contents makes it more attractive to deal at 5-box, it was approx 75% of the mean too on a board where it was still possible to get an all-blue finish from a 29k offer, so even though it was a below-median deal, I don't think there was much to be gained in the offers unless 2 reds remained to 2-box, and even then you're likely to no-deal and if it's 35k in the box that makes very little difference utility wise over 29k. I was expecting old faithful to pop out!

With the banker knowing the box contents, it was a 50:50 chance of an all-power 5 finish against a 50% chance of 35k/blue, the average of which I value at about 29k (65k for 100k/35k, 42k for 50k/35k) and high 4-figures for 35k/blue, totals just over 120k and divide it by 4......

Whatever happened to the idea of the banker looking in one or two remaining boxes on the wings? That was a really interesting twist too, it was intended for use at Halloween 07 but never happened, and only happened on poor boards last Xmas, since then it's died a death. That possibility has loads of possible permutations too! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:33 am    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

A great game with 3 Power 5 amounts in the Final 5, but I think
it was the right decision to deal at 29K as lost Leon only lost 6K
but also could have gone home with a blue.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:14 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

Here's an article about Leon and his appearance on DOND. One of many game shows that Leon has appeared in over the years apparently.

Hudedrsfield Examiner wrote:
HE’S the undoubted TV quiz king of Huddersfield.

Now a Kirkheaton man is poised to make his 20th TV appearance on a game show.

Viewers will see Leon Wilczynski compete on Deal Or No Deal today.

The father-of-three is a veteran of TV quiz shows, having first appeared on Bob’s Full House back in 1986.
Since then the former local football referee has appeared in shows including Double Cross, 15 to 1, Brain Teaser, Wheel of Fortune and The Weakest Link.

His latest brings him into the spotlight on the hit show starring Noel Edmonds.
Leon, 52, said: “It was a fabulous experience.”

The sales manager applied to appear on the Channel 4 show and was invited to an audition at Newcastle in March.

Leon said: “They whittled 300 people down to 50. They wanted a demographic mix – some men, some women and people from different parts of the country. Luckily for me they wanted a funny Yorkshireman.”

Leon spent two weeks in Bristol in June as 22 shows were filmed.

He said: “They put us up in a nice hotel and really looked after us. Noel Edmonds was fantastic. He was very good with every contestant and he made me feel at ease.”

Leon is pleased with his winnings.

He said: “I’m not allowed to say how much I won, but I think it’s well worth watching. I wanted to win enough for a good holiday and I did that and more.

“I took my wife Casey to Turkey for two weeks in August and we’ve had a few weekend breaks as well.

“We really enjoyed the money.”

You can see Leon compete on Deal Or No Deal on Channel 4 at 4.15pm today.
http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-we ... -22483404/

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

First of all, there were some very generous offers in this game. Like Mike, I never expected the second offer to be £18,000.

I don't blame him for dealing at £29,000. The Scrooge added a nice little twist to the game, and would certainly have made me think for a while about what the banker saw in the box. It's just a shame he left the £100k in play. But he didn't seem too worried about losing £6,000 which isn't too bad.

Two fairly decent games to start of the week, lets hope the rest are like this.

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials
Forum Games Moderator

Simon F wrote:
The scrooge games certainly are far more fascinating than the santa games. I think the best thing to do is ignore the fact that the banker knows what's in your box and just play the board and the offer.

Does he? :shock:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:04 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

daniel123 wrote:
Simon F wrote:

Does he? :shock:

He does if you the player picks scrooge rather than santa.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:46 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa Vs Scrooge Specials

Simon F wrote:

A high offer could mean either:
a) You think it's been offered because you have a big amount in the board.
b) You think it's been offered by the banker to make you think there's a big amount in your box and no deal when in fact the banker knows you have a blue and is bluffing you.

I agree with all that except for the first sentence...if there's no real way of knowing what the Banker's trying to do, and the best way to play is just to ignore the fact that he knows what's in the box, then why does that make the game more "fascinating" at all? Personally I just think it's a waste of time; as you say, there are so many possible reasons for why the Banker's made a certain offer that it's pointless trying to work out what he's doing, and the actual gameplay is therefore identical. All this twist changes is the fact that Noel and the people on the wings can blather on about "bluffing" for ten minutes.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 16/12 Leon - Santa or Scrooge Specials
International Forums Moderator

On the other hand you can't help guessing and as soon as you think it's impossibly not-obvious, there'll be an obvious one :P

I still find Santa better though. I've always loved one-at-a-time endgames to be honest.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]