Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:08 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:08 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:47 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Warnings: 0
Aaron Brock wrote:
It's starting to get quite monotonous now is this show... :( Shame really, used to be a great show, used to be really anxious about missing it, but the magic's definitely gone now.

While I am definitely enjoying it at the moment, I can actually completely empathise with that point of view, I mean Ryan and Rhys' games were almost carbon copies of each other and would have been exactly had Rhys left Box 11 rather than Box 10 at the end. Also lots of deals that have appeared fairly poor for the board at 5-box since Keran's game have usually paid off completely for the contestants (Jean was another one), indeed the two that gambled with 250k in the last 5, Betty and Jackie, also had very similar games by taking 4-figure get-outs at 2-box as well! :)

And there has actually only been one blue win (Tina) in the last 3 weeks too, so at least we're not getting a large variety in that sense! :D

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys
International Forums Moderator

We're certainly seeing plenty of the same type of game right now. Fortunately the worst such type of game we're seeing repeating itself is the 'Cautious Luck-Out' for an OPW!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Yet another nasty set of offers...even the dream offer at 8-box was undervalued as the board was deserving of a lot more than £15,000 spending money to go with it.

Still, an OPW is an OPW...and he definitely deserved it. Sandie's comments before she opened her box touched me...as it did Noel too!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:06 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Interesting game today. Given yesterday's offer at 5 box of £23k, you would have expected that replacing yesterday's £20k with £50k would have meant an offer close to old faithful today.

It's impossible to know whether the trip to the Leeds Rhinos was paid for by Endemol or offered by the rugby club but compared to some of the sporting VIP packages before (i.e. the Old Trafford one), the monetary value would have been quite a bit less.

As a Leeds Rhinos season ticket holder, I know that compared to Premiership football, Super League is relatively cheap.

Match tickets for 4: £112
Pre Match Meal and drinks for 4: £276
Shirt: £40

So that would probably be around £500 max (with possibly a night at the Headingley Lodge thrown in)

foxxy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:12 pm    Author: foxxy    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Yeh but Simon.... it was a VIP visit!, and a day he will surely remember!

I got pretty emotional at the end!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:48 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

foxxy wrote:
Yeh but Simon.... it was a VIP visit!, and a day he will surely remember!

I got pretty emotional at the end!

True. I guess living in Wales, he wouldn't be able to get up to Yorkshire that much.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:42 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Good feel-good game today - I had a feeling the banker might throw in the trip at the end. Sure, it is unfair in relation to previous equally deserving contestants not receiving extra bonus, but the main appeal of this show is that it has no rules, the banker can decide to do what he likes. Some would argue that is a flaw in the format - not me.

The offer of £20k was indeed poor if we compare it to yesterday's 5-box offer of £3k more with (essentially) £20k instead of £50k as back-up. If yesterday was a borderline ND (and it would've been almost certain for me), today was a cast iron ND. In fact, I would have not been too disappointed with the £15k box win.

He took a bad offer and got lucky, so Endemol get the best of both worlds - a feel good player win, and the ability to make future players on the wings think that the offers are good when they're not, just because the player got a positive result from taking them, and caution went unpunished.

Anyway, we shall see. I do have some foresight on events, after all... (see below). Look out for Noel dressing shockingly smartly next week!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:09 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

I know it's all down to the editing but does anyone else get a bit thrown by the way the ramp suddenly appears between Noel's introduction and the call up for the player (when said player is in a wheelchair)?

I'm probably one of the more cautious people here but even i thought some of the offers today were a bit stingy especially at 5 box and i would have been tempted on for that reason alone. Still Rhys was proved right and that's what matters, whether you think he was overly cautious is immaterial, He pulled out at the perfect moment

No idea what to make of the dream offer as the only Rhinos I'm familiar with are the ones at Longleat Safari Park, I have no judgement to make on the Banker's random acts of kindness either though i'm inclined to believe on this occassion he was being sincere and it was the other party who insisted on bestowing the dream offer on Rhys after he turned it down (did they even know he was in a wheelchair?)

Think Noel missed a trick not offering to accept the 1p kiss on Rhyss's behalf - maybe if it had been Cassie :-D

Oh and speaking of Sam Noel did a show count for her at the start of Ryan's game said it was her 29th Show, so this would be her 30th, not quite in Lucy territory yet but still a long term commitment

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:50 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Well the offers were poor through out, but for Rhys £20,000 is clearly going to help him out a lot and so it was the right deal for him, and it also turned out to be the right deal for the game as well. So it was a good result all round.

With a board as strong as it was though I would have at least expected one of the offers to eclipse £20,000, even with the Banker's tendency now to offer lower amounts than he used to.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:21 pm    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Aaron Brock wrote:
It's starting to get quite monotonous now is this show... :( Shame really, used to be a great show, used to be really anxious about missing it, but the magic's definitely gone now.

thoroughly agreed with this point (ie, if i miss a show due to computer/digital tv failure, i dont care!), but recently there's been some good games, and, dare i mention, an almost total lack of the real barrel-scraping sob-stories we were getting for about a year there (and the players partners are tending to stay in their seats more often too, thank god)...good games, but the offers are still leaving a LOT to be desired. I have been finding the offers terribly disappointing for the past year. Lack of sponsorship and viewers competition, not to mention credit (cringe :evil: ) crunch. :smt019 Pah.

maggieq

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:38 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

:D well done Rhys you did the perfect deal.really enjoyed this game and l know how much the money will help!

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Yes, the offers were poor. There's no denying that.

Rhys was great, a really nice guy who I'm happy to see get £20,000. I hope the money will be/has been a great help.

I also have to admit Sandie's comment left me with a bit of a lump in my throat as well.

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:46 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

I missed this game, so thanks for the commentary. Well done to Rhys and I hope he enjoys his £20k and the trip to see the Leeds Rhinos.

eastwingkate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:37 pm    Author: eastwingkate    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

tr4962 wrote:
I like what Kate said...

"You've got to think big to be big"

Judging by the look of her she's obviously thought very big

I'd like to take the time (as you so generously did) to thank you personally for your utterly insightful comment above.

You are clearly far more intelligent than I and I feel I simply must respond as you have shown such wit, understanding and insight almost bordering on psychic ability..I'd like to thank you on behalf of the other forum members for pointing out that I am a Fat Girl - some of them may have missed it and without your useful words we all would have been totally lost and our enjoyment of the show hindered.

Thank you once again, from the big fat bottom of my heart - and I am sure that you're positively perfect in every single way X

P.S. If you were wondering, the line I used was quoting from my favourite movie 'Hairspray' - an uplifting positive tale where a fat girl with a big heart gets to live out her dream & make it onto her favourite daytime tv show - sticking a MASSIVE two-finger salute up to those who pre-judge with nastiness. Enjoy the show X

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:38 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

I gotta admit. That was quite nasty...just don't take anything negative on here to heart Kate.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

eastwingkate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:48 pm    Author: eastwingkate    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

thank you - haha! It will take far more than that to get through this big fat skin of mine! :)

i have read other posts by the same person who clearly is a bitter and miserable soul, you gotta feel sorry for them,eh? poor thing.

i guess i am just a little disappointed as I genuinely thought there was a greater deal of intelligence and compassion here. My bad.

KP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys
International Forums Moderator

Some of us have it. And the proportion is greater since we banned a few people. Mostly people who don't understand the value of money... who ironically would actually have praised you to the skies for that particular line as it encouraged No Dealing!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

binnie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm    Author: binnie    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

Im so with you kate, i think your great, a pure inspiration, and lets be honest they picked you for being so fab, not being small minded like some!!!! you go girl HELL YEAH!!!!!!!! :P

eastwingkate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:46 pm    Author: eastwingkate    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

i normally wouldn't have even bothered to respond - i've heard it all before (are you surprised??!! :) ) and i fully expect far more to come, but after speaking to a few of my new friends last week who have been upset and hurt by certain personal comments that have been made on here, i felt i simply couldn't leave this nastiness and negativity go unnoticed.

rant over now! :D Enjoy the shows everyone - santa is coming sooooooon! X

Feliciter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:31 am    Author: Feliciter    Post subject: Re: 11/12 Rhys

eastwingkate wrote:
thank you - haha! It will take far more than that to get through this big fat skin of mine! :)

i have read other posts by the same person who clearly is a bitter and miserable soul, you gotta feel sorry for them,eh? poor thing.

i guess i am just a little disappointed as I genuinely thought there was a greater deal of intelligence and compassion here. My bad.

Too right, Kate. Just one glance at tr4962's posts and you can get a picture of their outlook: snide, smarmy, scolding. I do hope they weren't ever a contestant.

It was lovely to see you last week, by the way. Thanks to the organisers for such a lovely evening. Given that we only live 3 miles away from each other, we should have a drinky more often. Love xxxx

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]