Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Warnings: 0
Oh for goodness sake, the "Bad luck Era" is back! :smt009 :smt011

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}
International Forums Moderator

'I'm praying Mr Banker that the offers will be high'

Banker's offer:

£6,000

Apparently, sans poetry, Banker's offer would've been:

£3,000

Noel spins this as a result for bravery.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Last edited by KP on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

I'd agree with you there, KP - that's the only reason I'd have gone on!

And Betty is being rewarded with a brave offer. I'd deal here.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

killersbee wrote:
Oh for goodness sake, the "Bad luck Era" is back! :smt009 :smt011

It's only one game though.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:09 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

It's only one game though, KB - she could still get a TPW here anyway!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:10 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Big-Davey wrote:
It's only one game though, KB - she could still get a TPW here anyway!

Not with a peak offer of £24k. It's a TBW.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Betty says DEAL

She has £250 in her box 17.

Box 12 with Sandie contains the £15,000.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Last edited by KP on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:11 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Well the "great timing" era continues...

I liked Betty - a lively lady, she definitely carried a gambling tendency throughout her game...and she was only denied a more fitting reward by "that blasted bag of balls!" :lol:

Great end to a great week on the show!

EDIT: So it was Simon! :oops:

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:13 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Big-Davey wrote:
Well the "great timing" era continues...

No it doesn't. By the look on her face she was strongly considering the fourth offer let alone the fifth, and the edit strongly hinted at a decision that was not entirely her own (although that said, she kept it together well afterwards if it was such a decision). I could tell from her face - and I'm rubbish at reading body language - that she wanted to go at that fifth offer.

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:15 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Agree with KP on this one

Because of the highest offer being ignored, followed by a small deal I'd give this one a No Decision

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:19 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

She chased the money - in a manner that would have been entirely valid for a younger contestant than herself on that board with those offers, but arguably not right for her - then got out at an unexpectedly generous fallback offer and did indeed avoid a crash. Too ambiguous for Box 23 to come out right now.

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:25 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Betty was from my home town (and my mum even sort-of recognised her!!). So was Les - both have ended up crashing from being unexpectedly gmabling when I thought they were both cautious!

I was stunned at that 24k no-deal too, I had her down as being cautious, at least she still went home with something decent though. Noel does tend to overplay it as being a big player win when teh player deals too late but beats the box value - if she'd dealt 6k with a £250 box but had a proveout offer of 24k I doubt he'd have been the same!!

Really surprised there was no conditional 2-box guarantee from the banker with the 250k still in play at 5-box. Maybe it was edited out becuase she hit it first box. :(

You don;t half have it in for Noel sometimes KP - we probably only saw about 25% of what he really said!! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

travis P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:26 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {player TBC}

Today's game, Betty clearly showed she is a glory hunter and wanted the £250,000 but decided to cut her losses at the final. Just a shame she didn't have the courage to deal at £24,000. Yet another contestant who couldn't care less what Noel says.

£24,000 was the right offer on that board, given The Banker's trend this season. That funeral offer was tempting though as it would lift the burden off her sons/daughters backs.

KP wrote:
No, I will not be commentating tomorrow or any other time this week. That was not what I wanted to see while I was ill.

I assume today's show has put you off from watching it again and continue to read the results on here? Hope you get well soon, I felt rough myself this week,

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:37 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Travis, yes, it has. I was only here for this one because I'm too ill to be able to sing with my choir, which really hurts me - I wanted a distraction. I got one, but not what I wanted.

James, yes, that game was very clearly heavily edited (they all are, but that one had a lot of sharp edits so I wasn't at all shocked at the five-box No Deal). I do probably overcriticise Noel at times based on the edit, but it is the edit that all bar a few thousand people are judging him from at all times, it is the edit which influences the watching millions, it is the edit which projects the show's attitude towards gambling (and, to a lesser extent, other things that the show can and does touch upon, such as in this case the inevitability of death and the cost of funerals).

Oh well, Miljoenenjacht's on tonight. Although it won't be up online until tomorrow, or at least until after I've already gone to bed.

travis P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:42 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

KP wrote:
it is the edit which projects the show's attitude towards gambling (and, to a lesser extent, other things that the show can and does touch upon, such as in this case the inevitability of death and the cost of funerals).

I do know Channel 4 would like Deal or No Deal to have a new sponsorship for 2009, so don't be surprised if it will be a bingo website.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:49 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

Wouldn't have ever expected anything else.

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:13 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

KP wrote:
Too ambiguous for Box 23 to come out right now.

Careful, you'll hurt Box 23's feelings ;) ;) ;)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:16 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

An entertaining show with some good banter through-out. I was a little surprised Betty no dealt £24,000, but with the quickness of the decision made and how they didn't spend that long focusing on the offer (due to editing no doubt, as mentioned) it wasn't a total shock.

It's a shame it didn't work out and Betty didn't manage to keep high reds in though. However at least she got a decent 2-box offer of £6,000. Which whilst isn't near £24,000 she declined is at least a nice sum of money.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:55 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

I found the game quite entertaining with plenty of humour both from Betty and the wings. The Banker's unique offer of a fully paid funeral - though obviously offered in jest - has to be one of the more bizarre non-cash offers as well

It was also something of a nail biter, it's a shame that she didn't get out at the peak of the game but at least she got a fair reward. Personally i think i would have been seriously tempted to back out at 5 box myself and was surprised Betty didn't. Don't know if she was seduced by the board, the atmosphere in the studio ir if she genuinely believed she had big money in her box

KP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:50 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: 30/11 {Betty}

While I don't think I'd have gone at £24,000, I agree it was a surprise she didn't, and a decision that probably didn't match her likely utility function (that my own utility function causes £24,000 to be a ND on that board, I doubt hers did). This was definitely one decision I'd like to have seen unedited.

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]