Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:01 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:13 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

Warnings: 0
Yep, a decent get-out of something like 10k - 12k at 3-box would not have gone amiss there. Tony would have gone home a lot happier with a good consolation having tried for the huge cash and failed, and the banker would have been relieved not to have had to pay out massive, and the other players could be more tempted to go on on decent boards even if there's only one blue left, they won;t necessarily win it.....

The producers don't half show how to shoot themselves in the foot at times. :(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:16 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

I couldn't believe how spectacularly the game crashed today. It was all going so well. I enjoyed the game, up until the £50k was revealed. It's not nice to see someone get so upset. I thought Tony seemed like a good guy too. At least he got a holiday and £750 out of the game.

ciderduck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:18 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

worst no deal ever!! imagine turning down 35k.....(and can thoroughly understand why-but had it been normal game play without the treat element, he would've dealt)....and going home with £750 (and a trip to greece :oops: ). never mind a car-crash game, this was a sickening thud! the poor guy.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week
International Forums Moderator

The biggest ever trainwreck that has ever occurred - has ever been possible - without reckless gambling.

In fact, I'd have turned down every offer without the slightest hesitation. They were that bad.

Wonder if this'll mean someone will now walk away before this week's Acceptable Deal Point, which is not 8-box or even 11-box as normal, but 5-box? In a way I really hope so just to see how the proveout would work.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:34 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

KP wrote:
The biggest ever trainwreck that has ever occurred - has ever been possible - without reckless gambling.

In fact, I'd have turned down every offer without the slightest hesitation. They were that bad.

Wonder if this'll mean someone will now walk away before this week's Acceptable Deal Point, which is not 8-box or even 11-box as normal, but 5-box? In a way I really hope so just to see how the proveout would work.

Thanks. I was about to have a huge family argument about the show that he did take an acceptable gamble and wasn't greedy. I think the person concerned in my household is a targetist who sees any large amount as not worth gambling whatever the board but I resign myself to not bothering argueing any more.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:56 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

That was an unforgettable game. To go from such a strong board to win just a few hundred pound is terrible and i don;t blame Tony at all for his reaction, I think i would have been just as gutted.

FWIW i think if that had been me on a normal board without the extra offers at 4 & 3 box then i would have been seriously tempted to deal, but the extra offers were too good an incentive to pass up, I just can't believe he wiped out the reds in quick succession like that

It was all set to be a mighty banker spanking as well.

Ooh, i didn't know it did that when you type the S word

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:20 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

Well wow, what a game.

That was just harsh bad luck. I thought we were going to have a decent result considering the 5-box situation and the trick. And then it just went wrong, wow.

However, I do not agree with Tony's self-evaluation of being a stupid person, given those circumstances, no dealing the 3 offers was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It's just bad luck that the big 3 rather than the little 3 went. Yes, it would obviously hurt during your time there but as a viewer, I cannot blame him for going on.

That game certainly had a lot of tension, and despite it being a poor result, it was one amazing game.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

KP wrote:

As we know, that's precisely what did happen, and the proveout... didn't work. ;)

It sure wasn't stupid. Unless he had particular designs on 35k that meant his utility curve really flattened out in the Power 5 bracket - or he made the decision under outside influence (four-box and three-box offers don't count, they were the rules he was playing by) - he can have no realistic regrets whatsoever as those offers were insufficient for a rational player with a close-to-normal attitude towards money.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:35 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

Yet at the end he was in tears and saying "That's going to haunt me for the rest of my life"...so in my book it was kind of stupid to carry on. (Unless of course he'd have had an even worse reaction to dealing and then having £250k in his box...)

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:44 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

You can never, ever tell what these players really think.

I think any collapse from a Power 5 to a blue is going to haunt the players but if they look back and realise the gamble was quite justifiable...

I suppose this is why there are targetists - people who utterly refuse to contemplate this kind of thing happening to them. I don't object to that so long as they realise that this attitude severely restricts their winnings... if they do, and go in fully aware that they're here for a significant shot at twenty grand or whatever and the Power 5 are there to secure offers above their target rather than being winnable amounts for them, that's fine by me (though not by basicasic...) - it's one way of playing the game. Problem is that some people with such an attitude then get sucked in by the board, or by the atmosphere created by pilgrims, contestants and Noel, or possibly something else... and even if their targetism does remain, they end up regretting it more than they would if they were entrenched in their conservative strategies.

trickymahonia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:32 pm    Author: trickymahonia    Post subject: Re: Tony 29/10 Halloween week

Tony very unlucky. With Pammy I wanted her to go on, with Tony I thought It was time to stop. It is a shame he didn't. What a big drop. Happy holidaying, and best wishes for the baby, not sure if it would have been born, if 12 weeks when recording.

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]