Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 7:29 pm Last visit was: Sun May 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
Noel reckons people will have been inspired by Claude, who then says it's all worthwhile if he's helped even one person...

Noel has nothing more to say. Except to say the weekend show is on Saturday, which is duly corrected on voiceover.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Maud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:58 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

What a *beep* game... I hope Claude found a way of getting his chair in the end.

Shane84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:58 pm    Author: Shane84    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

How can anyone say DOND is rigged after that game? An absolute gutter. i didn't like the way the banker tied the sweetener into the offer, it should have came at the very end! :smt019

Last edited by Shane84 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:59 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Claude deserved more. It's unfortunate when the good players don't have luck on their side.

*Edited for content*

Last edited by Dr. Hindsight on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:01 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Mad Mark wrote:
Box 23 calls it an

for Claude today.

He should have taken the £6,500. He deserved more for his chair or whatever.

Seriously Mark... dont be like Divvy.

That is totally uncalled for and IMO very tasteless.

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:01 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Mad Mark seriously... argh you really need to watch the shows before you can call someones game an 'Banana Sandwich'... argh there are so many reasons box 23 is not needed tonight.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:03 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Tom22 wrote:
Mad Mark seriously... argh you really need to watch the shows before you can call someones game an 'Banana Sandwich'... argh there are so many reasons box 23 is not needed tonight.

Perhaps you're right. I'll call for the post to be deleted, then. Mods, can you give me a hand with that?

Maud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Tom22 wrote:

ITA... the show was moving, even Noel looked a bit choked up, box 23 is a stupid idea anyway but this show is the show for it today.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:04 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Awful game. You gotta see it from his point of view; £6,500 was amazing for the board but it just wasn't enough for what he needed. Had he remembered Karina had "the Death Box", I think we all would have been singing a completely different tune! :(

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Shane84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:07 pm    Author: Shane84    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Hold the phone a second to all the box 23 nay sayers; Do you think Claude would have seen his game as anything but an Banana Sandwich?! Please don't feel sympathy for Claude just because of his illness. If you do that you reduce this person to nothing more than their disability and from what we've seen today there is a hell of a lot more to Claude than that!

The game was an Banana Sandwich and I'm sure in hindsight Claude would have dealt at 6.5K!

I'm reminded of another Wilde quote here: 'One can always be kind to people about whom one cares nothing.' The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Last edited by Shane84 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Craig

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Maud wrote:
Tom22 wrote:

ITA... the show was moving, even Noel looked a bit choked up, box 23 is a stupid idea anyway but this show is the show for it today.

*This isnt a spoiler by the way*

I read in a magazine about the Halloween shows and they mentioned something about Noel being extremely emotional after filming one of the shows the previous week...so im guessing this is the show they were talking about!

A really gutting end! Really wanted him to win the £10,000 in total! But it just wasnt going to happen! Is it me or was that added bit with the banker doubling Claudes winnings made the ending even worse??

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10
International Forums Moderator

There was a very good logic for saying Claude's true preference would have been a £6,500 Deal, but it's a logic that's not remotely obvious and he can't be blamed much (if at all) for not following it...

...on that board, Claude had a 40% chance of getting to his target amount (and, having revealed it, I doubt it'd have been much more), a 30% chance of disaster and a 30% chance of, well, what he got, two grand (which he turned down courtesy of a twist, but that wasn't in anyone's plans at this point).

£6,500 may not have been the chair, but would two-thirds of its value have been two-thirds as useful to him? If so, and the offer on £75k/blue would either have been the value of the chair or the excess wouldn't have made much difference, then that was a clear Deal because it was a 40% chance of what he wanted and a 30% chance of a consolation prize against a 100% chance of 60-70% of what he wanted.

But that logic is much harder to apply when your 'target' is the cost of a single item of expenditure.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Shane84 wrote:
Hold the phone a second to all the box 23 nay sayers; Do you think Claude would have seen his game as anything but an Banana Sandwich?!

Oh believe me I'm not saying it just because the illness... (I say it for a lot of games...)

(After Gameweek 22)

Tom22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:10 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Craig wrote:
A really gutting end! Really wanted him to win the £10,000 in total! But it just wasnt going to happen! Is it me or was that added bit with the banker doubling Claudes winnings made the ending even worse??

Yeah I thought that too! Well he just lost the chance of winning an extra £9,800 to previously only losing the chance for £4,900... could have gone either way and £10k would have felt alot better than the £5k but thats the game.

(After Gameweek 22)

Maud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:11 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Shane84 wrote:
Hold the phone a second to all the box 23 nay sayers; Do you think Claude would have seen his game as anything but an Banana Sandwich?! Please don't feel sympathy for Claude just because of his illness. If you do that you reduce this person to nothing more than their disability and from what we've seen today there is a hell of a lot more to Claude than that!

The game was an Banana Sandwich and I'm sure in hindsight Claude would have dealt at 6.5K!

I dont feel sympathy for him because of his disability thank you... dont judge me.

I feel for a man that went there to get something important, not a holiday or a new sofa or whatever... he went there for something he badly needed and he couldnt get it, I think he was a great contestant and if I had the money he would have a new chair by now.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:13 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

Thanks to KP for doing the commentary today! :D A phone call did come through for me towards the end of the show, so it's just as well KP was doing it today.

Claude was a great bloke I thought, because he was funny and amusing, and had been on the wings. Some people have been saying his laughing and joking etc was fake, but I don't think it was... he clearly genuinely enjoyed being there and has a genuinely bubbly and fun sense of humour.

The game was pretty awful though, although I guessed it would be due to the slow pace of the game earlier on in the show. At least it allowed for a lot of Claude's banter to be included in the final edit though. To be honest, if the banker is going to do these handouts, then I'd rather he did it with players like Claude who really need the money to help with their day-to-day life, rather than giving it to people like Brian just so they can pay their mother's loan off. :?

Profile E-mail  

alex xxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:17 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Here you go then, in the lingo if the man himself:
If we were thyer ag-eyan we woulda done same thing. We med choice at time and thats warrhappened.

If you would like the translation If we were there again, we would have done the same thing. We made the choice at the time and thats what happened.
In my opinion, things were just bad luck really, at the end of the day we didn't have a system, and Claude picked the boxes at random, I know it may have seemed quite greedy that we didn't take the £6500 but like Claude said, we needed the money for his new chair and we did not and have not got the money to match it or to make up the rest. The whole thing about the chair they have edited it incredibly badly, the context of the conversation was nothing like that, he didn't just come out with that about the wheelchair, it took us a while to decide and that was why Claude said that about it because people were wondering why we were taking ages.
I can seriously understand why it was an Banana Sandwich too. Simply because it wasn't a big money win and there was never big money there, but thats the way it goes. On the subject of the swap, it was given and we obviously said no, because neither box meant anything, box 22 was special and it had the big money it haha ironic really, especially because they have edited out the fact that I said that we shouldn't have kept special numbers. HAHA!
The fact that the Banker doubled the box value made the decision an awful lot easier for us, because we could have made up the defecit in the money to buy a new chair. (JUST LOL)
All in all, it was hard but we made the right decisions for us.
Thanks for reading the whole load of pointless drivel that I have just written xxxxx

Profile E-mail  

travis P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:18 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: 17/10

KP wrote:
I've not heard the introduction in that form yet, and it sounds stilted beyond belief. Also, these graphics look all too... slick...

Seriously, when was the last time you actually saw the show live?

Maud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:18 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Anyone else curious as to who H was getting a call from?

MisterAl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:19 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Claude 17/10

Shane84 wrote:
i didn't like the way the banker tied the sweetener into the offer...

It wasn't even a sweetener though. It turned a good £2200 offer into a stingy £2200 offer, which ultimately encouraged Claude on to his blue win. Things would have been much 'sweeter' if the producers had simply stuck to the original box values. Claude would have been far more likely to take the offer, thus avoiding a total heartbreaking finish.

(Even if the £5k had have been in Claude's box, winning £2200 from a game that never delivered an offer above £6500 is nowhere near the 'feelbad' ending we actually ended up with...)

Profile E-mail  
 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]