Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:19 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lewis246

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:00 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Warnings: 0
Mad Mark wrote:
Tom22 wrote:
Mad Mark wrote:
Oh boy, I hope this doesn't go the wrong way...

But obviously you'd have dealt the final offer?

Most likely. My rule is, is you're left with high red + 1p as your final two, Deal immediately..

Unless the high red turns out to be in your box. :)

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:02 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

She was a nice enough lady and there was some good banter throughout the show, but the game itself was pretty mediocre and it had mediocre offers to match. :?

Despite what Penny (and others) thought, I thought the offers were all pretty dire... and none of them really deserved to be dealt. Terrible final offer, and whilst she did the right thing as she had 1p in her box, it doesn't disguise the fact that that was probably one of the worst 2-box deals ever.

Shane84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:02 pm    Author: Shane84    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

wkd wrote:
The problem with the show these days is that everyone thinks they're entitled to win a few grand and generally won't take the most modest risk in seach of a big prize. Surely it was worth risking £5500 at odds of 11/2 on an even money chance?!

Not if £5,500 means a lot to you! Not all of us can afford to put 5K down on an even money chance of increasing your winnings.

Last edited by Shane84 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

:( :| :smt009

travis P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:09 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

I'm surprised he offered £5,500 as he could've offered £5,000 (I would if I was on the phone) and she still would've dealt. Don't forget it's £35,000 versus the psychological power that is the one pence.

wkd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:14 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Shane84 wrote:
wkd wrote:
The problem with the show these days is that everyone thinks they're entitled to win a few grand and generally won't take the most modest risk in seach of a big prize. Surely it was worth risking £5500 at odds of 11/2 on an even money chance?!

Not if £5,500 means a lot to you! Not all of us can afford to put 5K down on an even money chance of increasing your winnings.

Of course she can afford it, it's not her money she's risking! It's Endemols! The very worst that can happen is that she goes away with 1p more than she arrived with. I think for most people it was well worth taking the risk (as opposed to yesterday when I thought it entirely reasonable NOT to risk 17 grand when the odds were less than 2-1).

I repeat, this is what's wrong with the show - people have the cheque mentally banked and the cash spent before the first box is opened.

wkd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:18 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Taken to the most extreme there was the bloke (Michael was it?) who took a £1000 when the hundred grand was still on the board. No doubt it meant a lot to him and no doubt he daren't risk going away with a low blue but it remains, against strong opposition, the most absurd deal in the history of the show. I would put today in the top twenty though.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:28 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

If Box 23 had a WTF? label, you'd be seeing it now.

Still, I can't blame Penny for dealing when she did, despite the fact that the final offer, and practically all the other ones were awful. I'd have offered between 10 and 15 grand at this point, though.

Shane84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:36 pm    Author: Shane84    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

wkd wrote:
Shane84 wrote:
wkd wrote:

Of course she can afford it, it's not her money she's risking! It's Endemols! The very worst that can happen is that she goes away with 1p more than she arrived with. I think for most people it was well worth taking the risk (as opposed to yesterday when I thought it entirely reasonable NOT to risk 17 grand when the odds were less than 2-1).

I repeat, this is what's wrong with the show - people have the cheque mentally banked and the cash spent before the first box is opened.

Are you telling me that that £5,500 was not real money? Real money which this lady could walk away with? At that moment Endemols give Penny over 5 grand. That was hers. And more importantly it was hers to risk!

I'll state it again most of us can not afford to risk £5.5K on the 50:50 chance of increasing her winnings!

And by afford I do not mean to imply that anyone goes on DOND to make a living, simply that the money was very really Penny’s and so was the risk!

I don't begrudge anyone for taking the money and running for the sake of sensationalism. In any case that's not why I watch the show.

travis P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:22 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Shane84 wrote:
I don't begrudge anyone for taking the money and running for the sake of sensationalism. In any case that's not why I watch the show.

Don't blame you at all, which is why this forum features people who sits on the fence (including myself), but the majority would rather gamble nearly anything, with the minority being ultra careful.

Saying that, many people on this forum who would gamble nearly everything are yet to be in a financial position simply on their age.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:14 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

I can understand why Penny dealt when she did when faced with the prospect of going home with 1p (ironically she actually had the 1p) and in the end it did prove to be a good decision, but it was a poor offer nevertheless, hence the groans from people.

The Banker played on the psychological aspect of the 1p - "Avoid going away 1p, Penny, by taking £5,500" - and I guess that's why he felt he could get away with a low offer, but then as the offer was dealt you could indeed say it was a "clever offer" on the Banker's part.

Compare that to yesterday, with Chelsea, where she was offered £17,000 on a 50p vs £50,000 final two. A much more generous offer on a similar board (whether that was due to the Banker's earlier prediction who knows). Despite the fact that Chelsea would of likely dealt a smaller offer at that point (and according to Noel today about £9k - £10k would of been sufficient). So not such a "clever offer" on the Banker's part yesterday.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:34 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10
International Forums Moderator

The Banker can have an Epic Win for recognising Penny would be that cautious! Even with her reaction to the five-box offer I doubt I'd go lower than Fadil's.

Chalk another one up for the 'this wouldn't have happened before the recession' files.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Shane84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:36 pm    Author: Shane84    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

mike wrote:
I can understand why Penny dealt when she did when faced with the prospect of going home with 1p (ironically she actually had the 1p) and in the end it did prove to be a good decision, but it was a poor offer nevertheless, hence the groans from people.

The Banker played on the psychological aspect of the 1p - "Avoid going away 1p, Penny, by taking £5,500" - and I guess that's why he felt he could get away with a low offer, but then as the offer was dealt you could indeed say it was a "clever offer" on the Banker's part.

Compare that to yesterday, with Chelsea, where she was offered £17,000 on a 50p vs £50,000 final two. A much more generous offer on a similar board (whether that was due to the Banker's earlier prediction who knows). Despite the fact that Chelsea would of likely dealt a smaller offer at that point (and according to Noel today about £9k - £10k would of been sufficient). So not such a "clever offer" on the Banker's part yesterday.

Ahh but that's where gamesmanship and bravado on the players part plays a crucial role. If I ever got on DOND I would play it very cautiously, but do you think I’d let the banker know that?! Not a chance, or at least I’d try (and probably fail) to convince the otherwise.
I think the difference in offers was down to the fact that Penny blinked, Chelsea didn't. I don't think anyone who watched Penny's game today would have believed she could have turned down a substantial offer (i.e. anything over 3.5K, for me at any rate) in the final round. Chelsea played a different, much more confident game which I think was reflected in her offer.

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:46 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

I suppose it was only a matter of time before a contestant called Penny brought their namesake to the table (although it's only taken 3 of them for it to happen). The final offer today was laughable (it was only a small step lower on the ludicrous scale than the non-offer that produced the £75k win last week).

KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:49 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10
International Forums Moderator

Simon F wrote:
I suppose it was only a matter of time before a contestant called Penny brought their namesake to the table (although it's only taken 3 of them for it to happen). The final offer today was laughable (it was only a small step lower on the ludicrous scale than the non-offer that produced the £75k win last week).

And yet it was taken... not sure who that says more about.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:10 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Ok, I didn't see anything wrong with her taking the final offer. Yes, it was poor but I'd have done exactly the same.

A nice enough game, some good banter and a nice player. Not the best of games but still..

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:28 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Got mixed feelings about that one. I'm not happy about her taking a really low offer like that one, and will only give the banker more reasons to do it, but on the other, I'm please she avoided the 1p club which the vast majority of us on here apart from avid swappers would have won. I hate games where a really low amount is won through terrible offers!! :)

Funny how Penny's offers were very low when she had 1p at the table and Chelsea's were good and she had 50k. (But I suppose Pauline's game is the flip side of that) ;-)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

ciderduck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:41 am    Author: ciderduck    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

i'm glad others are very unhappy with the offers recently, seems financial worries have hit endemol hard too. the offers in this game were derisory, and since roughly the start of this in most games i have been horrified by the rubbish 'offers' being applauded and 'oooooh, that's a good offer'.... :smt019 i spose in retrospect some of the offers from last summer were probably ridiculously high, which makes it seem all the worse when something crap like £5k is offered. gah! :smt011

had things worked out better, that would have been a great game, good contestant, no sob stories and good banter in the wings.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Bit of a so-so game really, Penny just didn't seem to have the luck,just one so-called 'perfect round' in the middle of that game could have made all the difference with regards to offers.

Yes the final offer was dissapointing to say the least but at the same time on a 50/50 chance of joining the 1p club it was still worth considering, the first rule of gambling is knowing when to fold and Penny cashed her chips in at the right time and made a profit on her box (of course in an ideal world she would have cashed her chips in at 8 box and taken the maximum amount out of the game but for £10k on the board she had then it did seem worth the gamble)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:26 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Penny 16/10

Mixed feelings for this one. That was a diabolical offer, but it wasn't a diabolical deal; as H has already said, she won £5,499.99 more than what he would have! Nasty offer but with the 1p still in play, the Banker really can offer absolutely anything, and as long as it is a good few bob the player can never be begrudged for bailing out with £5,500 more than what they came with...ESPECIALLY when it turns out that any ounce of bravery would have been rewarded with a place on the ever-growing barge! :D

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]