Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:33 pm Last visit was: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:33 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Big D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:44 pm    Author: Big D    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

Warnings: 0
Simon F wrote:
So obviously crying about your family is a good idea if you win a blue.

I'll start by saying I was hoping she'd go on and find the 3k, and I was disappointed that she didn't do better, but this was a pile of sh*t. You win what you win, or what's the point?

Joey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:45 pm    Author: Joey    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

For once, I thought the increase to £1200 was entirely justified.

The banker seemed to be really nasty in the later stages of that game. Much moreso than necessary so I think a feelgood ending was appropriate.

travis P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:46 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

killersbee wrote:
I think Mark will give this one an Banana Sandwich? :ponder:

Probably after what The Banker did at the end. Although she did beat him by having a £100 profit on selling her box.

killersbee wrote:
So that's 9 blues in a row appearing on the table. What's the record?

I noticed a trend in 2005 where 15 consecutive shows had 1 red value on the table.

Big D wrote:
I'll start by saying I was hoping she'd go on and find the 3k, and I was disappointed that she didn't do better, but this was a pile of sh*t. You win what you win, or what's the point?

That's why game shows have consolation prizes but it's a matter that many shows don't do them these days. Like in Play Your Cards Right where couple crashes on the final round, Brucie still gives out a case of champagne just for the sake of it.

Last edited by travis P on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Simon F

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:47 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

Big D wrote:
Simon F wrote:
So obviously crying about your family is a good idea if you win a blue.

I agree 100% with you. I don't see what makes her more worthy to get more money than the 2 players who won the combined 5p early in the week.

killersbee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:54 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

Simon F wrote:
I don't see what makes her more worthy to get more money than the 2 players who won the combined 5p early in the week.

I think it was the trainwreck and Judy being the Black Widow that did it, I can imagine the heartbreak, Judy will have to go through if she plays tomorrow and ends up with a blue :(

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

A bit of a strange show today. It started off well with a fun first part with lots of interaction with Noel and the other contestants, but the over-reaction of Judy later on when she revealed the £250k was slightly odd. :? As I said earlier, I think she chucked her box under the table in temper as there was a loud crashing sound and people were looking at her, but the camera was on Claire so we didn't get to see what the noise was. :?

This game was rather similar to Jo's 2 years ago today - she had £250k & £100k at 11-box (and not much else), turned down £20,250 (note that Claire was offered £5,000 on almost the same board :roll: ) and ended up winning £500 from her box - the same value Claire had in her box! Normally dealing for a blue amount puts you in a unique club but not for Claire - she joins Nicola in the "£600 by dealing" club! By that point, the game was all but over, so dealing or no dealing there didn't really have a huge difference either way.

At least she didn't crash to peanuts, but as others have said, I'm not sure why the banker doubled her winnings when others recently haven't had their winnings doubled or added to. (Although doubling 1p or 4p wouldn't do much, but you know what I mean. :lol:)

Profile E-mail  

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:04 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

Joey wrote:
For once, I thought the increase to £1200 was entirely justified.

The banker seemed to be really nasty in the later stages of that game. Much moreso than necessary so I think a feelgood ending was appropriate.

Completely agreed. What a nasty show, and the life was sucked out of it by 8-box. Even Claire said she felt dead. A small consolation for her winnings to be doubled - after a nasty game like that it was the VERY least she deserved!

I know banker "cop-outs" aren't loved on here, but I think there is a time and a place for them, and after such a traumatic game, today was a good time to use it!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

Big D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:29 pm    Author: Big D    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

The premise of the show is, you go on, you open your boxes. If you win 1p that's what you get. If you win 250k (like that'll ever happen again) that's what you get. No consolation prizes, no wee gifts to make up for being spoken nastily to, we've seen just as bad a lot of times. If you don't want the banker to be rude and nasty to you, stay at home. There are a lot of players who had worse luck, won less than 600 quid, and got nothing extra at the end. There shouldn't be exceptions, end of.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:27 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

killersbee wrote:
I think Mark will give this one an Banana Sandwich? :ponder:

You called for it, you got it.

Box 23 says

Crying also warrants an Banana Sandwich as well. Don't expect a win of £75,000 or more for the next 10 years. You heard it here first.

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:01 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

9 blues on the table in succession and counting.....

Claire also seems to be one of the most perenially unlucky names on the show - the most any of them has won is £6,500 and even she could have had 75k if he's played to the end and hypo swapped for the box 8 she had an eye on...

What else can you say? I'd be picking Judy first given how stressed she seems to get - I know £1 Mike did that for Marilyn after her taking the 250k reveal in Trevor's game badly.

She just had the sort of board it's really hard to make the right decision on - either you hit the last big values and have a trainwreck or deal and end up looking an idiot when you sell a 6-figure box for a few thousand!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

KP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:18 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10
International Forums Moderator

Wake me up when there's a game... mind you this was entirely down to the boxes, and did someone say they'd have dealt 5k with the top two at 11-box even with naff all else? Ten grand is the right offer on that board in my book and I'd want something in the teens to deal. It just got rubbish after that.

By the sound of it, this was a better example of incinerator food than games Mark has actually given the distinction to...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:52 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

KP wrote:
Wake me up when there's a game... mind you this was entirely down to the boxes, and did someone say they'd have dealt 5k with the top two at 11-box even with naff all else? Ten grand is the right offer on that board in my book and I'd want something in the teens to deal. It just got rubbish after that.

By the sound of it, this was a better example of incinerator food than games Mark has actually given the distinction to...

No, no... Incinerator Food games feature idiots winning less than 100 quid. But of course, if you feel the need to redefine the term, go right ahead. Just post your new definition somewhere where I can see it :) .

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:32 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

There's no idiots on the show, it's all down to the bag remember ;)

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:47 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10
International Forums Moderator

My definition of Incinerator Food: games which had no significant redeeming features making them worthy of air.

Today's was one - no decisions to make whatsoever except at (don't make me laugh) £600, and no special comedy either. The 4p game with Mark: big decisions at twenty grand and some genuine drama until late in the game. Redeeming feature. Let it air. If only because it illustrates the danger of listening to Noel and the Banker's attempts to drag you on... and I say that as someone who would have done the exact same thing, but it clearly wasn't right for Mark.

I digress. Ugly game today however you call it.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:34 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

KP wrote:
My definition of Incinerator Food: games which had no significant redeeming features making them worthy of air.

Today's was one - no decisions to make whatsoever except at (don't make me laugh) £600, and no special comedy either. The 4p game with Mark: big decisions at twenty grand and some genuine drama until late in the game. Redeeming feature. Let it air. If only because it illustrates the danger of listening to Noel and the Banker's attempts to drag you on... and I say that as someone who would have done the exact same thing, but it clearly wasn't right for Mark.

I digress. Ugly game today however you call it.

Wrong. Mark's game was Incinerator Food material, and was full of fail. That game DID NOT make for good telly, and SHOULD NOT have aired. Plus, he was an idiot for listening to Noel and the Banker, and he desecrated the Mark name.

However, I will say this - I like your definition of Incinerator Food, KP. Well played, sir :) .

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:39 pm    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

h2005 wrote:
the over-reaction of Judy later on when she revealed the £250k was slightly odd. :? As I said earlier, I think she chucked her box under the table in temper as there was a loud crashing sound and people were looking at her, but the camera was on Claire so we didn't get to see what the noise was. :?

I was wondering what the crashing sound was. To anyone who was there, was she OK after the game finished? It's not nice to see someone get so upset. I don't know why, but I couldn't get into Claire's game today. It was just one of those games that doesn't seem to get off the ground.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

Not really sure what to make of this show. There wasn't really much of a game and then halfway through the atmosphere just changed and unlike some trainwrecks wasn't great to watch (some can at least be entertaining in their own way. Like Derek or Pete to name a couple).

The whole Judy situation seemed rather dragged out, with Noel first going on about the £250,000 and bringing her the tissues before the break. Then, ironically, revealing the £250,000 and the Banker going on about how evil she was for ages. At least Judy seemed to smile about it in the end, but her initial feeling was clearly being upset about revealing the big number, soon followed by frustration/anger.

I've just watched the scene again and this is what I heard & saw after Judy revealed the £250,000.

Malc: "Come here, come here. It's not your fault, it's not your fault, sweetheart."
Judy: "It's not the 250k, is it?
Malc: "Come on, it's not your fault, darling, honestly. You know, come on...
Judy then kicks against the bottom of the wing twice.
Malc: I know, I know.

Then when the camera is focused on Claire, Noel can be heard to say "what a..." followed by a loud audible banging noise. Presumably of Judy, forcefully, putting her box under the wing. With Noel then saying "I think i'm going to need these [tissues] over here as well".

I think the Banker then going on about how evil Judy was etc...perhaps went a bit far.

I'm not sure why the Banker decided to double the prize money when Claire had decided to deal at £600. It's not like she even went on to the end to win a blue. She choose to take the money. I guess after what happened through-out the show they wanted to end the show on a high and prove that the Banker isn't all that evil (even though he supposedly is meant to be).

Last edited by Michael DeVere on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:17 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

Now that they're resuming filming again tomorrow (and presumably the editors are back in the building) I wonder if they'll make an effort to edit the weekend shows properly so Noel gets the right day? It does seem rather sloppy that since the start of season 4 he's been saying "Saturday" instead of "Sunday". If they don't edit the remaining shows, then Noel will still be getting his days mixed up until Christmas, as they already have all shows up until Christmas "in the can".

Profile E-mail  

killersbee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:00 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

Big-Davey wrote:
There's no idiots on the show, it's all down to the bag remember ;)

Yes, the bag which has been useless for big wins since the Season started :(

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:15 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: Claire 05/10

Well that was a real train wreck wasn't it? Not a glimmer of hope from the second round onwards. Just red after red after red came tumbling out of the boxes.

I was a little surpised when Claire dealt but i think the game just defeated her, she couldn't really see any respite (and as it turned out there wasn't any) so she got out with at least a few hundred.

I don't really have a problem with the Banker doubling her winnings at the end either, though i can understand why it would upset purists. For me though those Random Acts of Kindness the Bankers occassionally exhibits just add to the unpredictability of the show, and as long as he doesn't do it too often it's a nice little surprise.

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]