Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:13 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:13 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

greeny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:35 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Warnings: 0
I'd rather we didn't, I like seeing every player play their game. It'd be ridiculously stupid if they scrapped every player who won a blue. I don't care if their games are craptastic, that's the nature of the UK game at times, unlike the US show where it is a lot easier to scrap a game as we don't see the player prior to their game, unlike in the UK. You really don't have a clue Mark.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:38 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

Mad Mark wrote:
if it were up to me, I'd have scrapped both shows and made both players play over again. I'm sorry, this winning of serious chump change is a deplorable trend, and it must not continue. If I were a network executive and I noticed that contestants on this show were winning next to nothing, I'd either cancel the show immediately, or have said players play again. Anyone who thiught these past 2 shows were exciting serioiusly needs to rethink their words.

What!!!!! :shock: As others have said, the whole point of the UK version is that the characters make the show as well as the winnings. Scrapping shows because they simply won low would be absolutely ridiculous. The only time a show here would be cancelled is if there were unforseen circumstances preventing it from being shown (i.e. someone dying or being arrested).

Yesterday's show was very interesting because of the gameplay from both the contestant and the banker (and to some extent Noel) due to the promises of the offers. It was very tense and frustrating seeing Mark's board being destroyed as he opened the boxes after he no dealt the £20k at 8-box. Today's show was very entertaining due to Pete and the banter. The last 2 shows have been very good as they have been interesting and tense, and in the case of today's show - fun and entertaining. If they were scrapped then we'd have lost 2 great shows. That's shows, not necessarily game outcomes.

Also it'd be ridiculous to make people play again just because they won low, it'd ruin the whole point of the show where you only get one chance to play. :? The fact that overseas versions scrap shows when they win low and let people play again makes UK's DOND stand out as a superior version really!!

Mad Mark wrote:
We need people who know how to win decent sums of money.

Most of the time though it's the luck that dictates that... not to mention how Noel and the banker often encourage people to play on in order to chase the high money with promises of higher offers etc (such as yesterday)! The players cannot (most of the time) help it if they win a low amount. There have been occasions when people have gambled and it's gone wrong in which case it is their fault, but even then it's an exciting and tense game - e.g. Orry winning £1!

Daisy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:42 pm    Author: Daisy    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Mad Mark wrote:
I'm glad that the US version scraps episodes occasionally. It prevents us from seeing some real craptastic shows.

Dude for real, Pete's game wasn't "craptastic", it was very entertaining. He was a funny guy most of us enjoyed the game for that alone.

We watch the UK version for the ups and the downs. If they started dropping the low money shows then we'd always know that the player would go away with £5,000 or £10,000 plus. Where's the fun in that?

Sure, you can come up with just the right paragraph that would exactly and candidly reflect the precise emotional descriptors you wished to be utilized in communicating your ever present and meticulously cultivated thoughts. Or you can just swear.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence and insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Daisyed & Confused
Proud receiver of Maudy hugs.

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:50 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Well, like Tom said, the stats would be completely messed up if we heard that a few episodes have been scrapped :eyes:

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:58 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

I remember once on the US version where no one won more than $100 for something like a month. These shows weren't scrapped, but they should have been because the contestants were idiots. What I like about your version is that the contestants are normally likeable folk who we get to learn more about as time progresses. US contestants just get on and play, and the majority of them are quite dim. I'm sure Pete was one of those likeable guys, and it's unfortunate that his game went the way of the US stock market. Yes, you only get to play once, and most people capitalize on this chance. If I were given one chance to play, I'd try to win the most money possible. A lot of people who play need this money for stuff, and yet some of them end up with next to nothing.

All I can say is good luck to Pete, and hopefully he can make some money on eBay selling that 1p cheque. Or do 1p winners get their winnings in cash? Wouldn't really be that hard to do that, you know. Let's hope for a better run of shows soon. From here on in, anything less than 5 grand is unacceptable. Bearing that in mind, I can't wait for that "unknown" Power 5 winner's game...

And according to what I've read, it's some chap named Kieran...

Last edited by Dr. Hindsight on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

Mad Mark wrote:
Or do 1p winners get their winnings in cash?

They get a cheque.

Tom22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:04 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Mad Mark wrote:
I'd try to win the most money possible.

Ok there we go!!! Thats where the UK contestant have all been going wrong! Someone ring Bristol and tell them to win as much money as possible from now on! Everythings going to be ok...

Mad Mark wrote:
All I can say is good luck to Pete, and hopefully he can make some money on eBay selling that 1p cheque. Or do 1p winners get their winnings in cash? Wouldn't really be that hard to do that, you know. Let's hope for a better run of shows soon. From here on in, anything less than 5 grand is unacceptable.

There is more to life than money... I'd say that the 1p cheque from DOND is worth more sentimentally than you'd get for it on eBay.

If everything under £5k is unacceptable why dont they just get rid of all the blue amounts and the £1k and £3k then?! They wouldnt because thats what makes them game fun and exciting that things can go badly after risking a no deal. No amount is unacceptable and thats what makes the UK version of DOND so good!

Keep spoilers out of here as well please... you've spoilt that game for me now really.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

KP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10
International Forums Moderator

To be honest,
that someone evidently wins a power 5 at some point between now and where tapings have happened

is not a shock spoiler. I guess I'll find out when it happens :P

Utterly unavoidable trainwreck though. This one I feel more sorry for than the last one, as there were no opportunities to Deal.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:13 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Ok it was a rubbish result, but I thoroughly enjoyed today's game and thought Pete was a great character. The show entertained through out (thanks to Pete) and i'd much rather see a low value win game that entertains than a big win game that doesn't (Colleen for example). Of course if we could marry the two together - fun characters & big wins - that'd be great.

October hasn't got off to a good start for the show. Yesterday Mark wins 4p and today Pete gets 1p. One thing's for sure, tomorrow's result can't be any worse.

Rockjack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:53 pm    Author: Rockjack    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Sometimes i think the producers but money in there special boxes sometimes...Like 1p in petes,s

1p and 10p in marks yesterday (table and his special number)

They do ask which numbers are importnat to you in audition..

Hmmm :ponder:

taff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:55 pm    Author: taff    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

When I saw the spoiler on Pete's fan club I thought he would win either 1p or 100/250K.

Pete is a legend - that was great entertainment - who cares about the result?

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:20 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

If Mark's wish to scrap all the shows with winnings of less than 5k (and prsumably those where a big money box has been sold for not very much in comparison) than we'd have had about 4 shows aired thus far in Season 4! :)

Just as well pete was a legend becuase of it had been someone dull playing that would have been one of the worst shows ever, not even any excitement becuase the offers were so poor, no difficult decisions to agonise over. Be forced to the end and win either the blue you randomly drew or the even lower one we put in your lucky-number. :)

Just shows that characters can make or break a show. And at least there are no stupid handouts, though why Brian was more deserving of one than Mark and Pete who took their misfortune in great spirit I'll never know.

Remibnds me of the start of March 06 - Mark was the equivalent of Trevor and Pete the equivalent of Mike - just the 1p came the other way round. And they were the same days of the week too (Wed 1st and Thurs 2nd!!) :shock:

(Thank goodness he didn't leave Judy until 3-box though - she'd have took revealing the 250k at that point worse than Marilyn!)

They might as well just remove the power 5 from the board at this rate as nobody ever gets near winning one of them, even when people make sound decisions!!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

MisterAl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:30 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Mad Mark wrote:
Yeah, and if it were up to me, I'd have scrapped both shows and made both players play over again.

So, what's at stake then? If unlucky players know that they'll get the chance to play again, where's the tension coming from? Where's the jeopardy? In fact, why should a player even bother consider taking any offer? They may as well just play on to the end, safe in the knowledge that they can keep on trying again and again until such time as they happen to have decent money in their box.

It'd kind of defeat the entire point of the game, really...

tr4962

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 pm    Author: tr4962    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Mad Mark wrote:
I remember once on the US version where no one won more than $100 for something like a month. These shows weren't scrapped, but they should have been because the contestants were idiots. What I like about your version is that the contestants are normally likeable folk who we get to learn more about as time progresses. US contestants just get on and play, and the majority of them are quite dim. I'm sure Pete was one of those likeable guys, and it's unfortunate that his game went the way of the US stock market. Yes, you only get to play once, and most people capitalize on this chance. If I were given one chance to play, I'd try to win the most money possible. A lot of people who play need this money for stuff, and yet some of them end up with next to nothing.

All I can say is good luck to Pete, and hopefully he can make some money on eBay selling that 1p cheque. Or do 1p winners get their winnings in cash? Wouldn't really be that hard to do that, you know. Let's hope for a better run of shows soon. From here on in, anything less than 5 grand is unacceptable. Bearing that in mind, I can't wait for that "unknown" Power 5 winner's game...

And according to what I've read, it's some chap named Kieran...

If under 5,000 is unacceptable then stop watching, its bound to happen sometimes and i would hate for you to get bored (note the sarcasm)

And don't write spoilers outside of the spoiler boxes (which i think you did on purpose just to spite people who disagreed with you, maybe i'm wrong)

travis P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:13 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

tr4962 wrote:
If under 5,000 is unacceptable then stop watching, its bound to happen sometimes and i would hate for you to get bored (note the sarcasm)

And don't write spoilers outside of the spoiler boxes (which i think you did on purpose just to spite people who disagreed with you, maybe i'm wrong)

That's the thing, he cannot see the show live due to being in another country. So all his thoughts are based on this commentary alone.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:23 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

I wish I didn't know the result in advance, so I could enjoy the game to the max! But it was definitely a funny game, he was a great guy and definitely is, as Noel put it, the comedian on the barge now! :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:42 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Well, I'm glad I didn't read the spoiler section in advance, because that enhanced my enjoyment of that game. Pete was another likeable contestant for who the boxes didn't work out. Reminds me of the early days of the show with Geordie, Lucy, 'tingly' John, 1p Nick (and countless others) all contributing greatly to the show, but ultimately leaving with blues. It's one of those horrible injustices (and the reverse is true e.g. Richard, Colleen), but of course perfectly possible in a random game.

On the whole, I find the low money games just as interesting as the high ones. I'm not sure why - maybe it's the (forlorn?) hope of a last gasp comeback with the remaining reds or that there is a greater jeopardy and therefore greater tension with the boards and real sense that they have to 'earn' their offers, rather than being given decent sums to take on 'safe' boards (oh, Richard again).

I'm sure this has changed from the past, because now when a player has a strong stable board at, say, 8 box, most are likely to deal (even if the offer isn't that good), whereas in the past there was a greater unpredictably over the decisions. The strong games often unfortunately have flat finishes, whereas arguably the weak games are exciting throughout (and I don't think it's entirely down to the wakeyist nature of these games).

It's mainly due to an entertaining contestant, like today's. I don't see any need to scrap a show that is entertaining, whatever the result (and even if it isn't entertaining, the player still has a right for their show to be aired, surely, having invested perhaps... ooh... 40+ hours of filming time for the company, plus the hotel stay).

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:50 pm    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

Rockjack wrote:
Sometimes i think the producers but money in there special boxes sometimes...Like 1p in petes,s

They must ask about special/lucky/favourite numbers. Like most of you, I thought Pete's game was so enjoyable. If only he'd had a big number. I also agree with most of you about airing low wins. There needs to be lows to make the highs seem even better.

Wendy47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:55 am    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

I don't remember being asked about lucky numbers, but then I don't have any. Even if they put 1p or £250,000 in your lucky number, how would they know when you would pick the box? Would you keep your lucky number till the end or open it when you feel you need some luck?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:16 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Pete 02/10

CrazyChair wrote:
Rockjack wrote:

They must ask about special/lucky/favourite numbers. Like most of you, I thought Pete's game was so enjoyable. If only he'd had a big number. I also agree with most of you about airing low wins. There needs to be lows to make the highs seem even better.

Wendy47 wrote:
I don't remember being asked about lucky numbers, but then I don't have any. Even if they put 1p or £250,000 in your lucky number, how would they know when you would pick the box? Would you keep your lucky number till the end or open it when you feel you need some luck?

I'm not sure if it was on the application forum you filled out Wendy, but the latest application form DOES ask you if you have any lucky numbers between 1 and 22. So CrazyChair has a good point.

But yes, you're spot-on - even if they did engineer a big amount in your lucky number, what if you suddenly decided "sod it, I need some luck, I'll go with my lucky number!" - that'd be game over, and the bag of balls blamed yet again! :lol:

Mark Olver once suggested the same thing in a joking fashion; that the lucky numbers are saved til the end on purpose coz the show producers try to rig the games. This was before dear Reg played in February - who opened his lucky number in the opening round and revealed...you guessed it...the £250,000! :P

Come the end of the day, it is ALL random, and you wouldn't have it any other way because by keeping it random and not rigged in ANY way, you can end up with countless conspiracies! :P Because as small as the odds are, what if the same amount came to the table on 5 straight shows? Many people on here would naturally thing "what the hell is going on???" but you must not forget that it is random, and can easily happen! :P

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]