Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

KP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
A better advert for targetism could not have been written. I'm sure we'll get some eleven-box Deals from this 22.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:11 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

MisterAl wrote:
I can't think of any other game that crashed so spectacularly and so emphatically from such a strong position! 1p Katie's was similar, having the top four all in play at eleven-box, but she didn't take all four of them out in successive boxes, neither did she end up with the worst possible finish.

Considering that Mark was probably a £20k targetist, he took that crash really well. Good on him! (And he ended up with four times as much as Katie did!)

I witnessed the final two without knowing the board earlier. I was surprised he rejected £20,000 on the basis nearly all the players in recent weeks didn't have in play offers near £20,000. Perhaps he was another who was chasing the big money glory and kept the target as a bluff, since there were stability on the red side?

Nice to see you back MisterAl. I bet you reckon the forum has improved in recent weeks.

Last edited by travis P on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuartPlymouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:11 pm    Author: StuartPlymouth    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

:shock:

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:12 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

Very interesting game today, with all the promises of the offers varying so much depending on whether Mark took out low blues or high blues. To crash like that was quite something, and whilst the top 3 were looking rather exposed, I never thought he'd wipe all 3 of them out in consecutive boxes, and in order too.

Towards the end, I was sort of hoping he'd end up with a 1p vs 10p final 2 as it'd be more memorable than a deal on a 1p / 10p vs £15k finish. Although whatever happened, I don't think I'll forget this game for a long time! The final 2 and the deal at 4p (after the increase from 2p :lol:) just made it all the more memorable.

Well done to Mark for taking it so well, especially as he was probably a £20k targetist as others have said. Had Meena not dealt at the 3rd offer yesterday, and had Noel and the banker not encouraged him to play on with talk of what the offers could be, I think he'd have been gone at 11-box for £20k. You can almost guarantee that had he gone at that point, the proveout offer at 8-box probably would've been about £30k - £35k!

MisterAl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:15 pm    Author: MisterAl    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

travis P wrote:
I witnessed the final two without knowing the board earlier. I was surprised he rejected £20,000 on the basis nearly all the players in recent weeks didn't have in play offers near £20,000. Perhaps he was another who was chasing the big money glory?

I think the lure of the £40k/£55k/£60k promised offers (conditional on an all-blue round) that persuaded him on. It would have persuaded me on too, I'm sure. They didn't want two third offer deals on the trot now, did they...

Quote:
Nice to see you back MisterAl. I bet you reckon the forum has improved in recent weeks.

Thanks! I've only just noticed the improvements that have been made here of late.

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:16 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10
Forum Games Moderator

So here come another disaster final 2. I can't believe I've missed this game. :smt019
Still, wakeyism isn't the best thing.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:22 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

This one should go to the incinerator bin, Mad Mark

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:26 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

killersbee wrote:

Ironic that his namesake gets it of all people??? :shock:

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:51 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10
Forum Games Moderator

killersbee wrote:

How right you're.
Seriously, judging by the amount of posts on this thread, I thought it will be another one of those ridiculous deals, but what do I find? Another 1p and 10p final 2.
(A 1:462 change?)

KP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:52 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

Nearly - 1 in 231.

And it's still got a 1 in 231 chance of coming up tomorrow... dare I say it.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:53 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10
Forum Games Moderator

KP wrote:
Nearly - 1 in 231.

And it's still got a 1 in 231 chance of coming up tomorrow... dare I say it.

Oh yes, I forgot to multiply it by 2 at the end :oops:

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:04 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

Ouch!! :? Has any show seen the 4 biggest amounts going in succession? I doubt it. I thought the 8 box offer might have been a bit higher to tempt Mark out of the chair. He was a great character and he took it well. I hope he and his partner prosper in the future.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:51 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

Like Travis I accidentally caught the end of the 4.15pm showing when I didn't want to. I was wondering how he could have been 1 box away from a £40k offer and imagined a £250k/10p/1p final 3. What actually happened was far more cruel that I could have imagined.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:53 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

rico7 wrote:
Ouch!! :? Has any show seen the 4 biggest amounts going in succession? I doubt it. I thought the 8 box offer might have been a bit higher to tempt Mark out of the chair. He was a great character and he took it well. I hope he and his partner prosper in the future.

Jay on the 12th last month took all the Power Five out in consecutive boxes...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

KP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:11 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

Simon F wrote:
Like Travis I accidentally caught the end of the 4.15pm showing when I didn't want to. I was wondering how he could have been 1 box away from a £40k offer and imagined a £250k/10p/1p final 3. What actually happened was far more cruel that I could have imagined.

That three-box configuration would be amazing, whether in active play or (for different reasons) proveout...

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:27 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

Well I think Mark deserved a medal for taking a crash that spectacular so well. I feel sick after that, I don't think he made a single bad decision either. They're my least favourite games - a blue win when there's a strong possibility of a big win right up until the very late stages AND it wouldn;t have taken a big gambler for the crash to have happened either, through the offers being so poor for the board.

And did anyone think the banker laughing down the phone was just totally uncalled for and unnecessiarily rubbing his nose in it? I could understand that in (say) Matty's game where he asked for it in a way but Mark was a really nice genuine guy, and he did nothing to provokt the banker into anything either. and he took it a heck of a lot better than i would.

And the possible next offer scenario is WAY overused too - please stop it NOW!

I just feel it's going to be impossible for anyone to win anything really big ever again unless it's by accident. :shock:

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Rockjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:36 pm    Author: Rockjack    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

aT Least positvely speakin he had huge huge offers, abot time we had some biggy offers..20k at 8 box was a little harsh tho then that crash...omg! arr...

Wendy47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:21 pm    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

James I agree with you about the 'next offer if' scenario, they've been used far too much recently.
What a complete contrast to meena's game eh, that was so unfair. Don't think anyone thought he would take all three big ones out. He couldn't have dealt at £20,000, not at that point, with those numbers still in play. What a shame and he was a really nice lad too.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:46 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10
Administrator & Global Moderator

Something I noticed ( :oops: ) is that when the "squashdown" of the values on the board occurred at 6-box, there was an extra little sound effect... don't think it's been used before but it sounded as though someone had dropped something (which I thought it was at first).

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:52 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Mark 01/10

h2005 wrote:
Something I noticed ( :oops: ) is that when the "squashdown" of the values on the board occurred at 6-box, there was an extra little sound effect... don't think it's been used before but it sounded as though someone had dropped something (which I thought it was at first).

It sounded like a softer version of the £250,000 "explosion" :?

[ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]