Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:18 pm Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:18 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
travis P wrote:
killersbee wrote:
Well £5,000 is good, but we have been yet robbed of a £75K win again :?

Wait! Don't tell me, we were robbed of a £75,000 win because the show uses a random selection via the use of random balls in a bag. They can always use the system in March 2006... there were no random balls in a bag then.

Post of the month!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:11 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09
Administrator & Global Moderator

A fun show today with all the army references and Nev was an intriguing character! The game was a rather odd one and felt rather anti-climatic at the end when he was left with 3 reds valuing between £5k - £15k. It was even more of an anti-climax when he got the £5k and not even the £10k. Still at least he wasn't punished with a blue win for taking the justifiable risks he took... on another day we could've had a large payout with Nev playing.

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:14 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Well that was different. For the first time in a long time a player rejected offers that I thought were quite dealable. There was quite a strong case for accepting all off the offers from the third one on - right to the last. Don't know why the banker picked today to go right down the middle.

travis P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:19 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

wkd wrote:
Don't know why the banker picked today to go right down the middle.

He usually offers something near the average as he's knows something about the player. I have a suspecion that if it was a higher valued board he would've chased the glory regardless.

I do know these army chaps have decent post service pensions these days.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

A entertaining show with a lot of fun banter through out. A nice result, just a shame it wasn't the £10,000, but as there was little difference in between the final offer and final 2 amounts left it wasn't a massive increase or decrease either way. I do think we could of had a big money game today with Nev if the boxes went in his favour though.

alex xxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

that was a great game to watch in the studio, there was a LOT more army banter in the unedited version that was really funny! but he was always going to the end so good on him for the £5,000 exactly what I would have done!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:17 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Is it just me or was there a lot of tension between Nev and Noel in that show? Well it was more just Nev really...he seemed REALLY unimpressed with everything Noel said and didn't appear to like him at all...

alex xxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:20 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

its just the way nev is i think, there was no tension he just has a different sense of humour but must have just been edited weirdly, i know what you mean though the way it came across...... :ponder:

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:23 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

You could tell Nev had a different sense of humour to most others, but he was a great guy all round.

Unlucky at the end after the last two blues were found as he deserved to at least make up for the £12,500 offer he declined. But £5,000 is certainly not to be sniffed at!

Oh, and Claude's box today wasnt't exactly brilliant was it Alex? :unsure

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

alex xxx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:34 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

i never said he was perfect merely 99.9% so, thats his only big box i think, (i wont go down the road i've just been down in his fan club with large ones!)

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

I didn't really get Nev (could be an army thing) and I kind of saw some tension between Noel and Nev too, the show wasn't as loose as it usually is. But it was an OK game, another lowish win, but the banter was quite good.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:30 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Well that was different. That reminded me of a typical game from Feb - March 07 actually, player gets really good offers on a poor board and turns them down, but luckily in this case, he still went away with something decent, but I can't criticise the way he played, he was still quite happy with 5k despite being offered more than double that at one point, and was decisive in making his decisions.

I must say I did enjoy the show though, I found Nev really difficult to read, and it must have been for the banker too. Quite entertaining in its own way, especially with all the military jokes and Whitey looks like he's going to be a legend too.

I am enjoying the show much more than i did just after the summer break - and what feels really weird is that there have only been 3 players in Nev's wing position since crap-deal Richard due to him and Brian being such long-runners - if only Nev could have had Richard's game, that could have been quite something instead of the game that just didn;t seem to go anywhere, it was rooted in the mid-high 4-figures all the time. :?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Daisy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:48 pm    Author: Daisy    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Entertaining game. I love when the guys on the wings join in and there are some little jokes here and there. Nev was a teeny bit odd but nice once you got to know him.

Like me I guess. 8)

Sure, you can come up with just the right paragraph that would exactly and candidly reflect the precise emotional descriptors you wished to be utilized in communicating your ever present and meticulously cultivated thoughts. Or you can just swear.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence and insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Daisyed & Confused
Proud receiver of Maudy hugs.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:47 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Well, that was a different game and strange in many ways. I couldn't really make Nev out, but he was very decisive on his decisions (as you would expect from a captain in the army...), which made him difficult to read, which I'm sure led to higher offers than usual from the banker. £12,500 at 5 box is an offer I almost certainly would have taken, because my utility curve is fairly flat up to £20k, and then starts to climb steeply. So essentially for me, it becomes a 1 box game, and with a 40% chance of keeping the £75k, at 80% of the mean I'm taking that offer...

It was rather anti-climactic that the apparent wakeyist (discuss) had ended up with one of the most boring finishes ever of the 3 mid reds (perhaps 2nd to £500 versus £750). That was the nature of the game, having chipped away from both sides throughout.

Can't think many games have resulted in a player turning down a 5 box offer only to win exactly the same amount from the box, but given the game he was having, it seemed an inevitable, almost fitting finish.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:56 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

StatsMan wrote:
Can't think many games have resulted in a player turning down a 5 box offer only to win exactly the same amount from the box, but given the game he was having, it seemed an inevitable, almost fitting finish.

I've racked my brains trying to think of one - and finally remembered Abed - that was quite a similar game to this actually! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09
Administrator & Global Moderator

Talking of similar games... how many times have there been consecutive low reds left at 3-box and 2-box (or even 4 and 5 box) in-play? I can think of Bianca's £1k vs £3k and Tom's £1k vs £3k (that was in proveout though)... I expect there have been more. They tend to feel rather boring when they happen as at least with 2 consecutive blues it's a trainwreck... whereas with two consecutive low reds it doesn't feel like a great player win... but it's not bad enough to be labelled a trainwreck.

Today's game felt very flat when he was left with £5k / £10k / £15k at 3-box. The audience didn't really know how to react. I suppose it's because the highest amount available at 3-box was "only" £15k and the worst case scenario would still see him win £5k... so it didn't really matter a great deal what happened.

As a viewer I think it'd have been more memorable if he'd had a blue vs £5k finish, no dealt a probable £2,200 - £2,400 offer and won £5k like that.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:45 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Renee had £1k/£3k and Joanne of four-£50ks-in-a-row fame had £3k/£5k...I'm sure there've been others but I can't think of them...Oh, didn't Asma have £3k/£5k? Or was that £1k/£5k?

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:28 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Nev had the same last three as Bearded Gary who played the first game with the coloured inserts and that game sounded really good (I've never seen it, just going my reactions I've read) -- there's quite a big difference between 5k and 15k, that's for sure!!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:16 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

Bearded Gary's was actually the best game ever. "This is a photo of my wedding day, to my wife..."

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:49 pm    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: Nev 24/09

I actually found Nev quite entertaining, but then i seem to find a lot of the players entertaining at the moment, so maybe i'm just easily pleased :D Certainly i got the impression he was well liked on the wings

Good game, shame the boxes didn't work out for him

[ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]