Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:02 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:02 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:24 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Warnings: 0
stupawley wrote:
To all the people who moan and groan 'at another sob story' - have a heart will you !?! I'm sure Tim would rather not have his 'sob story'. Maybe you have been lucky enough to sail through life without anything nasty happening to you or your family - there are plenty of us who haven't been that lucky. Meeting new people with all kinds of stories only helps to make the majority of us into kinder and more appreciative people.

I'm sorry but I don't tune in to hear about deaths. To most of us, it is just another 'sob' story, yes, I understand that it must've been a terrible time for people as it was for me when a family member passes away, but dare I say it, other people's losses who I don't know doesn't really mean much to me. When you get about 4 a week it gets quite tedious and I don't want to tune in to find people crying everyday because it's all the same! I think that variety needs to be used, for example, one 'sob' story, 2 funny stories, 1 postive story and 1 'spooky' story? I appreciate that contestants have little control with what gets shown, but it's almost like you've got to have a 'sob' story to get on. These stories were very rare in the early-middle years of the show.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

i liked tim and was saddened when he went all the way and was rewarded with a blue. tim seemed a nice guy.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:19 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Suffice to say I'm starting to feel like Billy and Power 5 were at the start of the year - I'm neither a dealer nor a gambler but these games are really making me question whether I want to keep watching my favourite programme of the last 2 1/2 years. Blue wins where only the most extreme cautious players or committed swappers like KP would have won a red are the worst kind of shows in my book (unless they're that bad they're spectacular like Derek brown and Nikki), and nearly ever Season 4 show has been just that. :shock:

I'm only bothering with the last 10 mins on I Love DOND until we get a big power 5 win or a huge OPW where the board is destroyed after a deal, or any feel-good game really.

What sort of offers were those? Maybe the banker offered low becuase of how Tim came across (as backed up by Wendy), but I can't see how 4k would test anyone with £750 as a safety net. And 6k with 250k still up there with a couple of fall-back reds. I can only think he didn't swap becuase he remembered what happened to Orry when he swapped for his dead brother's number. :(

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

dougal18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:37 am    Author: dougal18    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

stupawley wrote:
To all the people who moan and groan 'at another sob story' - have a heart will you !?!

Four players out of ten this series have mentioned dead relatives.
Do Countdown contestants mention illnesses and death? No. Do contestants say "oh my auntie died 3 YEARS AGO" on Wogan's Perfect Recall? No. So why must DOND subject us to tales of death on an almost daily basis?

People on here are fed up with it.

Shame that Tim couldn't win the £20,000. That last offer was awful.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:43 am    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Not again! I really got into this game, more than I have with other games (which is odd). The £4,000 offer was dismal. It would have been perfect it was the £20,000 but alas, that didnt happen.

Moxx of Balhoom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:45 am    Author: Moxx of Balhoom    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Well it's like Deja vu at the moment isn't it? It does seem that the only way to win more than £5k is to deal early at the moment.

As someone who is fairly neutral with regard to the Sob story aspect of DOND can i just interject and say that i'm sure that everyone here can sympathise with those who have gone through a bereavement or tragedy. The objection seems to be more with the producers feeling such a need to emphasise this aspect of the players background, not with the players themselves

I don't know how much the players talk about themselves at the top of the show compared to what we see but by the time it is broadcast it often seems Noel goes straight for the juggular and starts asking immediately about their dead spouse/granny/ budgie. It would be nice to hear about the positives in players lives as well as the negatives

Personally i found Tim's story moving as i do 99% of the stories that open the show, but sometimes - just sometimes - it can feel a bit mawkish.

Wendy47

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:06 pm    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Tim was (is) a really lovely bloke and we all felt genuinely sorry for him when the gamble didn't pay off. I agree that the offers recently have seemed very low. I don't think any of us would have considered the £4000 enough to walk away with when there was still £20,000 on the board. We had a tremendous run of bad luck while we were there and he was very brave to go on though.
Like I've said before, I think the production team pick out (from the info you have given them) which bits they think will give the audience more of an insight into your personality. Bear in mind you only have a couple of minutes for the audience, especially the one in the studio, to get to know you enough to cheer you on. Even the tv audience doesn't get to see what people are really like on the wings because so much is edited out.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:36 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09
International Forums Moderator

Ultimately, Endemol are picking contestants we have a reason to feel sympathy for, and their increasing dominance is creating the impression of mawkishness. Is that what the audience wants? It well may be.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:58 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

dougal18 wrote:
stupawley wrote:
To all the people who moan and groan 'at another sob story' - have a heart will you !?!

Four players out of ten this series have mentioned dead relatives.
Do Countdown contestants mention illnesses and death? No. Do contestants say "oh my auntie died 3 YEARS AGO" on Wogan's Perfect Recall? No. So why must DOND subject us to tales of death on an almost daily basis?

Exactly; it's called Deal or No Deal, not Dead Relative or No Dead Relative!

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09
Administrator & Global Moderator

dougal18 wrote:
Shame that Tim couldn't win the £20,000. That last offer was awful.

It's such a shame he didn't... I'm sure had he won it it'd have been as good as when Ron won it in autumn of last year.

By the way, I just saw the very end of it again and towards the end of the credits whilst everyone is hugging Tim etc., you can clearly see Lee, Wendy (I think it was her) and Ray start to walk back to the west wing and then suddenly stop, turn around and walk back to the crazy chair... :ponder:

Duffer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:13 pm    Author: Duffer    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

h2005 wrote:

By the way, I just saw the very end of it again and towards the end of the credits whilst everyone is hugging Tim etc., you can clearly see Lee, Wendy (I think it was her) and Ray start to walk back to the west wing and then suddenly stop, turn around and walk back to the crazy chair... :ponder:

Where's Hugwatch when you need it, eh?

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Duffer wrote:
h2005 wrote:

Where's Hugwatch when you need it, eh?

Whatever happened to Hugwatch?

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:53 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

It relocated to Barnsley...

Wendy47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:19 am    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Think it was lunch time and because his show had gone on soooooooo long, we just wanted to get off.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:59 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

How long did this show actually take to film Wendy?

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:29 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Tim 04/09

Here's Box 23 with the results:

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]