Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am Last visit was: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:03 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

Warnings: 0
What an utterly dreadful way to welcome us back to a so-called "new season" of Deal Or No Deal. Besides the new videos at the start, can anyone actually point out the difference between that hideous charade and most of the games we saw in season 3? It was the killer mix of an irritating player with a sob story, a game that started well but with a contestant that showed no promise, a slow decline and train wreck followed by one of the worst banker cop-outs I've ever seen. I never expected anything brilliant from the start of this season but that really did take the p*ss big style. Endemol must have bundles of cash saved from frivolous morons and a stream of cowardice that seemed to suffocate the last season that they feel they can just throw it around now.

If tomorrow is anything like this, I think we can kiss any hopes of season 4 restoring the show to what it once was goodbye...

old bird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm    Author: old bird    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

redrum666 wrote:
What an utterly dreadful way to welcome us back to a so-called "new season" of Deal Or No Deal. Besides the new videos at the start, can anyone actually point out the difference between that hideous charade and most of the games we saw in season 3? It was the killer mix of an irritating player with a sob story, a game that started well but with a contestant that showed no promise, a slow decline and train wreck followed by one of the worst banker cop-outs I've ever seen. I never expected anything brilliant from the start of this season but that really did take the p*ss big style. Endemol must have bundles of cash saved from frivolous morons and a stream of cowardice that seemed to suffocate the last season that they feel they can just throw it around now.

If tomorrow is anything like this, I think we can kiss any hopes of season 4 restoring the show to what it once was goodbye...

Here Here Redrum666

Old Bird

greeny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:32 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

I'm afraid that was the worst show there's been for some time. Brian was one of the most irritating players there's ever been, the game was just as bad as those we saw in season 3, a quite frankly pathetic copout by the Banker at the end of the show, and Brian was contemplating £10,000 on what was, at the time, a seriously strong board, so all in all, I thought it was absolutely appalling.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Administrator & Global Moderator

I find it amusing how 80% of the comments in this thread are negative. Unfortunately though I can see why. My heart did sink a little when dead relatives were mentioned at the start. There's nothing wrong with that in theory, but after having such a story being told almost every other day in Season 3, I was hoping the start of Season 4 would be a bit different.

Brian's system being based on one his father helped to organise was also a potential recipe for disaster, as if he diverted away from it he'd always think "What if..." (which actually happened) and likewise it'd be extra upsetting if he won a blue (see Orry's game for example where he was convinced his dead brother's birthday box contained £100k... and he swapped for it and won £1).

Also if other players win a blue now, they could quite reasonably ask the banker for extra money as he gave it to Brian (and also gave a holiday to William). Remember those shows were recorded with a space of barely 24 hours between them... so the banker's new-found apparent generosity will be fresh in the players' minds.

On the other hand, if they go into the game with the belief they'll get something out of it even if they win a blue, then they may be more inclined to take justifiable risks. If that happens and we get a few big wins, I don't think it'll be long before we get a string of exciting games with some big wins hopefully (provided the luck is there of course, which it was with people like Lance, Liam, Harvey, Richard etc. - it's just that they didn't make the most of it!).

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:51 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Ok, well not a great start to the new season. We could have done with a Rossano-like game of last year.

And to start, the contestants walk on after the opening credits..never again please...

As for Brian, he was a nice enough guy.

I think I would have been more happy if the whole added bit of £3,780 didn't happen. At least that way, there would be no sense of added gimmick. Yes, a 50p win isn't a great way to start a season, but...

jamesfish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:53 pm    Author: jamesfish    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

I reckon this season will be better than season three, if you look at Paul's picture on the Ilovedealornodeal.co.uk website he looks suspiciously like Jeremy Paxman.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:55 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

jamesfish wrote:
I reckon this season will be better than season three.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, because you could be disappointed.

Craig

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Right, i will be the odd one out here and say something nice,

People on here are making it look like the game was horrific when it wasnt even that bad, yes he was excited (and so would i be to be honest lol). He clearly was a big character for all the players there and it must have been a massive crushing blow to see Brian go away with 50p so i dont think we are going to get any massive amounts won soon! But he didnt deserve 50p and i think im the only one here who was happy to see him get the extra £3,750 (cant remember the exact amount), it made it a feel good end to the game!

Hopefully there will be better luck for tomorrows player!

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:59 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

I think the thing that most annoyed me WAS the added £3,7..whatever it was. If it had been just the 50p win, I'd be more positive I reckon..

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:13 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Please don't tell me 5 hours after Season 4 has started we're going to have to split arguments out of the this thread. I was expecting some negative comments due to the nature of today's show but hopefully it won't go OTT.

kestral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:14 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

h2005 wrote:
Remember those shows were recorded with a space of barely 24 hours between them...

This is why I can't see how the regulars who post here daily expected a sudden turnaround in the show that they have been slating so much recently!

The regulars here know that there wasn't really a 4/5 week break between William's show and Brian's show, yet somehow seemed to expect or hope for a massive transition in the show :? Can you really expect such a thing in what is really just a continuation of season 3 and not a large break in filming away from the studio?

Endemol have certainly shown recently and especially with today's show that they looking to aim the show at a different demographic in the viewers at the moment. With the current shows playing the more emotional and "sob story" approach, and today with the "feel good" ending that this demographic would find an uplifting ending to the show. This of course will not please the purists or "gameplayers" that we have here, as it more often than not provides the type of game that goes against everything they are looking for.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:15 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Exactly Kes - that's what I was getting at earlier...with all the bad luck lately, they're at least trying to offer some kind of generosity on the show.

I know its not the way we'd prefer it, but it's better than a 50p opener for the new series, isn't it?

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:16 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

Big-Davey wrote:
Exactly Kes - that's what I was getting at earlier...with all the bad luck lately, they're at least trying to offer some kind of generosity on the show.

I know its not the way we'd prefer it, but it's better than a 50p opener for the new series, isn't it?

No- he won 50p fair and square, he shouldn't get rewards for it.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:19 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

kestral wrote:
h2005 wrote:
Remember those shows were recorded with a space of barely 24 hours between them...

This is why I can't see how the regulars who post here daily expected a sudden turnaround in the show that they have been slating so much recently!

I think it's something that's easily forgotten when Noel et al talk about how they've had "weeks off" etc. but regulars should surely know it's a much shorter break in reality as I often mention filming dates. :P In 2006, the on-screen summer break was a few hours in reality, last year it was 2 weeks luckily as it coincided with their Easter filming break but this year it was about an 18 hours break.

kestral wrote:
Endemol have certainly shown recently and especially with today's show that they looking to aim the show at a different demographic in the viewers at the moment. With the current shows playing the more emotional and "sob story" approach, and today with the "feel good" ending that this demographic would find an uplifting ending to the show. This of course will not please the purists or "gameplayers" that we have here, as it more often than not provides the type of game that goes against everything they are looking for.

The show certainly has a very different feel to it than it did this time last year for example, but I suspect a lot of it is due to the editing. I wonder how many "sob stories" were edited out of the shows at the start of season 3 last August? And it's not something that's unique to DOND - "sob stories" are making appearances everywhere even in shows like The X Factor, so Endemol are surely only responding to trends in TV land... or whatever you want to call them.

flamedtresses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:21 pm    Author: flamedtresses    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Pj had a simular game and was offered something at the end of his game but i cant remember what :ponder: and len for his cardigan
also 50 shows lucy also got a job behind the scenes of dond so i think that brian isnt the first to be rewarded after

Tom22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

kestral wrote:

I think we were expecting a different attitude somehow :? a new start sort of thing but obviously the production team didnt want to do that and were left in the same state we were before the break... Whens the next actual filming break where we might get some change?

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

flamedtresses wrote:
Pj had a simular game and was offered something at the end of his game but i cant remember what :ponder: and len for his cardigan
also 50 shows lucy also got a job behind the scenes of dond so i think that brian isnt the first to be rewarded after

Those two were very OTT and I didn't like them. I liked Kay's TV and Derek's drinks though, but I hated all the other free give-away ones.

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4
Permanently Banned

kestral wrote:

This logic is somewhat flawed as the show never relied on this in the beginning and still managed to pull in fantastic viewing figures everyday. Endemol underestimate the general public. As followers of the game to a greater extreme than most, we don't (as a whole) seem to like this approach and the general public may well do, but the games from the early days never used this approach and they were still very popular...

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

flamedtresses wrote:

PJ had a final offer of a SWAP on a 1p vs £75k final 2, and then the banker offered him the viewer's prize which happened to be luckily £15,000 that day. That was more understandable as PJ was forced into no dealing at the end. 50 shows Lucy wasn't given the job as part of the broadcast show though (and presumably not only because she won a blue) and Len selling his cardigan only raised a few extra hundred pounds. There have been other instances - e.g. plane tickets being offered for Natasha, Glen's £100 being doubled to £200 and Rose being given an extra £400.

But today's game is the first where the player has been given an amount as large as almost £4,000 for simply having a trainwreck game.

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:26 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Brian 25/08 Season 4

Tom22 wrote:
kestral wrote:

I think we were expecting a different attitude somehow :? a new start sort of thing but obviously the production team didnt want to do that and were left in the same state we were before the break... Whens the next actual filming break where we might get some change?

The last show filmed before the summer break was the December 20th episode (I think). So the episodes just before Christmas will have been recorded in October, after their 4 month filming break.

[ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]