Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:46 pm Last visit was: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:46 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

jonny

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:58 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
basicasic wrote:
jonny wrote:
[Out of interest, do you ever enjoy this show?

Why thank you for your interest. :)

Yes. Betty's show was fantastic.

So is it literally just the big wins that please you? Or bravery resulting in a big pay-off?

Do you not enjoy the shows where someone wins say £5,000 but there's a lot of wing banter and banker comedy etc? Have you always felt this way?

:)

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

James1978

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Well here's a turn up for the books! I completely agree with basic. I thought that was a pointless twist, but if you're going to do it, then why not just say what you'll deal and if the banker disagrees and just says SWAP, then it doesn't matter as you'd have no-dealt anyway, it'll just make going on easier.

Usually on any given board I have two sums in my head - a lower one, say x, that if it's definitely less than, I'd no-deal. There'll be a higher sum, y, that I'll definitely deal if it's higher than it. If the offer is greater than x but less than y, then I'd be unsure. In this case I'd have said "y" at every offer to make the decisions easy!

With this banker at the moment, probably 6 swap offers for me then! :)

What was in Box 1 again? I always think it'll have a big one in so I'd have swapped for that.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

James1978

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Oh, box 1 had £750. Only a bit better then!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

daniel4389

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:33 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

I didn't see the game; is there any particular reason why she had to make all her own offers or did it just come about randomly? Anyway, I agree with James...I don't see the point in offering yourself something you're not going to deal anyway. :?

Profile E-mail  

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject:

I found that a really fascinating game and I thought that the making your own offers twist was a good idea and certainly made the game more interesting. Perhaps Janie wasn't the best person to try this out and I suppose if you're not going to deal the offers you ask for then you may as well risk saying a bigger amount that you would at least consider dealing. Because it wouldn't really matter if the Banker offered you the swap if you were planning on no dealing a lower offer anyway.

Perhaps this is the type of thing they should do at auditions. Get people to read some boards and make their own offers for the board. They could also ask them questions about the board and why they would offer that amount and ask them about the averages of the board.

This is actually what I would of offered myself today. But thinking about it now I doubt I would of dealt any of these offers. Which kind of contradicts the point I just made.

Offer 1: £10,000 - £12,500
Offer 2: £7,000 - £7,500
Offer 3: £10,000
Offer 4: £7,000 - £7,500 (had the £75,000 remained I would of offered around £15k - £16k)
Offer 5: £5,000
Offer 6: £1,000

Profile E-mail  

greeny

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:19 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

Just watched this one on More4+1 after coming home today from university for the summer, and didn't really enjoy it to be honest, the game never really got going and Janie herself was quite dull.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
I
What was the point of making herself offers she wasn't going to deal? She might as well have gone over the top and got a chance to swap if the Banker said no. She wouldnt have lost anything and would have made it plain that she wasn't going to be fobbed off with a lousy deal. Instead of which a succession pointless low self-offers (which she didn't take) telegraphed to the Banker she could be bought cheap and lacked any sort of ambition or guts.

Was thinking exactly the same myself today. I'd have set offers maybe £1k below the amount I would be willing to deal on each board. If the baniker accepted the offer fine, if not then I may as well go on (seeing as I'd never take a swap).

£7k was a ridiculous prediction. The banker wouldn't even offer that in a proveout these days.

harryfielder

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:31 pm    Author: harryfielder    Post subject:

I fell asleep while watching...(sounds like I didn't miss much, :roll:

Aitch,

KP

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:22 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

mike wrote:
Perhaps this is the type of thing they should do at auditions. Get people to read some boards and make their own offers for the board. They could also ask them questions about the board and why they would offer that amount and ask them about the averages of the board.

Now that's a very, very good point. And almost certainly the best way to spot the gamblers, conservative players and board readers. And we need the lot if you ask me.

Quote:
This is actually what I would of offered myself today. But thinking about it now I doubt I would of dealt any of these offers. Which kind of contradicts the point I just made.

Offer 1: £10,000 - £12,500
Offer 2: £7,000 - £7,500
Offer 3: £10,000
Offer 4: £7,000 - £7,500 (had the £75,000 remained I would of offered around £15k - £16k)
Offer 5: £5,000
Offer 6: £1,000

I'll offer two figures. The ones I'd have offered if I was the Banker, and the ones I'd have called for.

Offer 1: £10,000 / £26,000
Offer 2: £6,500 / £14,000
Offer 3: £9,999 / £19,000
Offer 4: £7,499 / £9,500
Offer 5: £3,001 / £4,300
Offer 6: £1,000 / £1,337 (I'd call for this just to see if any of the students in the audience laughed...)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Well that was certainly a different game, although I didn't quite see how non-stats person Janie got to set her own offers; seemed it was more by accident than design, as she said what she wanted the opening offer to be, and the banker agreed, and it went on from there. The result was that is wasn't as interesting a psychological battle as it might have been with a stats person, as Janie seemed to demonstrate a loose grasp of mathematics.

Unless, as people have suggested, she was forcing herself on. She certainly wanted to go to the end from the start, but worryingly thought the offers she was giving herself were generous, when they plainly weren't. Other contestants missed the point by negatively reflecting on the board, rather than trying to big it up, which is surely the skill in this version of the game.

Anyway, she totally missed the point by not giving herself a dealable or generous offer, playing right into the banker's hands. So what if the banker gives a swap? If you're not going to deal the offer anyway, far better to emphasise that you're not a push-over rather than a weak minded individual who can be bought cheaply. What was the point in downplaying the offers, tell me...

But overall, I liked the idea, but poor choice of contestant to use it against.

Profile E-mail  

Big D

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 pm    Author: Big D    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
I thought the show was deadly dull to be honest. Janie was quiet on the wings and really gave us little entertainment value during the show. The only thing that salvaged it was the self-offers twist but even that was completely pointless really. It was apparent she had little clue about the board and by the seems of it neither did most of the wingers.

What was the point of making herself offers she wasn't going to deal? She might as well have gone over the top and got a chance to swap if the Banker said no. She wouldnt have lost anything and would have made it plain that she wasn't going to be fobbed off with a lousy deal. Instead of which a succession pointless low self-offers (which she didn't take) telegraphed to the Banker she could be bought cheap and lacked any sort of ambition or guts.

By the end of it I was beyond caring what she won and was grateful for the end so I could get my tea on.

Just about sums it all up. Totally pointless. Just wanted it to end. As Catherine Tate's Nan would say..."Whorra load of old sh*t!"

Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:41 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

Ok, so what was the point of her making the offers?

The game wasn't that great...

Profile E-mail  
 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]