Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Muinimula

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:57 pm    Author: Muinimula    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Is that normal with the Banker's Gamble - saying she'd HAVE to swap to box 1?

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:58 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Tom22 wrote:
Maud wrote:
Urmmm... wtf is the Bankers Gamble???? How long aint i seen this damn show?

Basically the player gives their winnings back and they get to play on and open their box...

Its completely pointless as there is no-one on there remotely interested in gambling.

Jo wouldn't have gambled if the £250k had been in her box.

Unix eight

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:59 pm    Author: Unix eight    Post subject:

Uchh I don't like that Banker's Gamble and thought it was especially inappropriate today. All it seems is the Banker's sly way of making it seem she lost the game either way..he knew Joanne would never take it. Now it seems that whatever happened, she should have gone on..

Mind you it will be very interesting when someone does that opportunity.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:00 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Hang on, I've just realised the banker's gamble was an offer to open the other box and not her box. :? Did she say at any point she would've swapped to box 1 had she gone on?

Craig

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject:

Well, i must say im very happy for her! You can tell how much £5,000 meant to her when she was offered it and when she no dealt i was praying for an all blue round but it was a good enough round to get double the last offer! It must have been the quickest deal theres been and i was really happy it was the right deal!

I could see the bankers gamble coming and i knew she wasnt going to risk it. For once i was happy to see the bigger amount in the box as she said she was going to swap! So in my eyes i think it was the perfect game as she wasnt going to get more than £10,000 in the game!

Well done Joanne, enjoy £10,000! :-D

SrWilson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:01 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I agree Aaron it was bloody disgusting total greed! I want 10k and im going with that regardless of the board all that much more money I could have gained Im just going to grab 10k as soon as we get to it or near it.
Pathetic!
And the bankers gamble is also pointless NO ONE IS EVER going to take it! Unless its a 15/20k like finish.
Meh SOS!

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Muinimula

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:06 pm    Author: Muinimula    Post subject:

Craig wrote:
For once i was happy to see the bigger amount in the box as she said she was going to swap!

I must have missed that - when did she say she wanted to swap to box 1?

I thought normally the Banker's Gamble was to undeal, and have the option to swap. Unless she made a fuss about box 1 (which I don't remember), I don't know why today's Banker's Gamble included a definite swap...very odd.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:07 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

imagine that was £10 vs 250k they have dealt 10k the banker offers the gamble everyone would still yell DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT and the player in their greed goes NO IM KEEPING MY 10K and thats that, completly ignoring the golden oppotunity.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:
imagine that was £10 vs 250k they have dealt 10k the banker offers the gamble everyone would still yell DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT and the player in their greed goes NO IM KEEPING MY 10K and thats that, completly ignoring the golden oppotunity.

Totally agreed. This is the start of something now...

Maud

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:11 pm    Author: Maud    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:
I agree Aaron it was bloody disgusting total greed! I want 10k and im going with that regardless of the board all that much more money I could have gained Im just going to grab 10k as soon as we get to it or near it.
Pathetic!
And the bankers gamble is also pointless NO ONE IS EVER going to take it! Unless its a 15/20k like finish.
Meh SOS!

How can someone taking 10k be greedy? Surely the person that no deals all the way is greedy.

I dont get how her talking about her son is a sob story, bringing up a chiuld with any disability is not easy, its bloody hard work and those that knock her mentioning it should maybe give it a go one day, it will probably ahve you sobbing like a baby withing the hour... PATHETIC.

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:11 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Anybody remember the good old days when the show was happy and played in an atmosphere of fun and gaiety. And the contestants were happy and grateful for a chance to try and win a life-changing amount of money?

Yes I know it was a long time ago, but I used to love Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. :P

Anybody with depression watching that for inspiration or to uplift their spirits would have been reaching for the tablets before the first break today. That was just ghastly.

Setting aside the poor deal (by that time I'd given up the will to live and was just grateful to get the purgatory over) I've never seen anybody bawling their eyes out at the prospect of winning £5000 because it wasn't enough. The pathetic way she grabbed the £10k without so much as a cursory glance at the board just summed it up. It was just the height of greed and quite disgusting.

I was beyong caring about the proveout but I'd guessed she'd probably have missed out on a power5. And so it proved.

That was one of the worst shows I've ever witnessed and there have been some stinkers lately.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:11 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Muinimula wrote:
Craig wrote:
For once i was happy to see the bigger amount in the box as she said she was going to swap!

I must have missed that - when did she say she wanted to swap to box 1?

I thought normally the Banker's Gamble was to undeal, and have the option to swap. Unless she made a fuss about box 1 (which I don't remember), I don't know why today's Banker's Gamble included a definite swap...very odd.

I just had another look at the end and there's no mention about swapping to box 1, except Noel who mentions it to the banker for some reason during the phone call at 2-box... :?

Craig

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:12 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:

Yes i see your point, a 50:50 chance of winning £250,000. But in honesty your only looking at one side. You would have to give £10,000 for a chance to win £10. I would gamble it as you could get £250,000, but some people might need the money and £10,000 is a shed load of money for some people and im sure some people wouldnt turn that amount down for a 50:50 chance of winning £10.

And when has it ever been greedy for somebody to deal on deal or no deal, im sorry but that is really pathetic. Somebody says deal and immediately there greedy...yeah that makes sense. I remember when people go on by saying if people no deal there greedy, so if im right..you deal your greedy..when you no deal your greedy...So basically everybody who goes on the show are greedy!

h2005

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

I classify "greed" on DOND as people no dealing very good offers with the hope to try and get that little bit extra. However, I can see where people are coming from when players take very poor offers and they're called "greedy" as it's clearly a way of ensuring they leave with something and don't really read the board properly. I don't think that's the true definition of "greed" though.

Craig wrote:
So basically everybody who goes on the show are greedy!

You could say that, yes... and I suppose in essence, anyone who goes on the show and no deals past the first offer is greedy because they're trying to get more money... which makes every player greedy!

KP

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:38 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Two things we've learned from today's game. One, the origin of SrWilson's Wakeyism. Proof indeed that life isn't fair. Two, that the Banker can get his Gamble right, even if he's... never? used it on anything other than blue/£35k since it was taken on £10k/£20k...

The enforced swap was just to make it a guaranteed £35k 'squandering' either way, and should be seen for what it is, a blatant attempt at engendering Wakeyism.

I suppose I should applaud the player for not going with it. £10k wasn't the worst Deal I've ever seen by a long way, although £5k would have been a contender for one. Players like this should be part of the show, but they shouldn't be the definition of the show. That's as much of a route to monotony as never-ending Wakeyism, but with less drama on the way...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:43 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I missed the show, read what happens and see sparks fly!

Come the end of the day, if she had her reasons to deal at £10,000 then well done her for managing £10,000 out of the game.

As for the Banker's Gamble, people will take it; just not people who were elated with the money they already won and with a huge risk of losing all of it is just a little too much for them.

A good game...but the Gamble wrongly used...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

SrWilson

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:44 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Even if I did not have plenty of Money KP I'd still just go for it and try win the life changingi money for a much better future.

kestral

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:49 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject:
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

SrWilson wrote:
Pathetic!
Meh SOS!

:lol: I think you have got your possible definition of greed right at your second attempt there, even though in your mind you will never see that... Playing on after you have reached your target could certainly be classed at greedy, but sticking to your target and taking it cannot be classed as greedy (even though you will slate anyone for taking their target and not going all the way), you'll just have to accept that not everyone in the world is as comfortably off as you and can always risk what is a significant sum of money to them.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:55 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

kestral wrote:
SrWilson wrote:
Pathetic!
Meh SOS!

:lol: I think you have got your possible definition of greed right at your second attempt there, even though in your mind you will never see that... Playing on after you have reached your target could certainly be classed at greedy, but sticking to your target and taking it cannot be classed as greedy (even though you will slate anyone for taking their target and not going all the way), you'll just have to accept that not everyone in the world is as comfortably off as you and can always risk what is a significant sum of money to them.

A standalone target is greed in pure form. You should be there just to play the game that's there to be played.

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Craig wrote:
So basically everybody who goes on the show are greedy!

Well yes.

The dictionary definition of greed is 'excessive desire for something, such as food or money' You won't see a more glaring example of that than looking at any of the contestants on the show, other than the miniscule minority who play for charity.

I also think that because the contestants are on the show for such a long time and spend many days watching others play and then staying together overnight in the hotel they almost become cocooned from reality. Its like a 2 week holiday where the sole focus is winning money and you can see they get completely wrapped up in it all. I can imagine them sat in the hotel bar every evening discussing how they are going to spend their winnings. They almost become a pack.

By time they come to play they are hyped up and desperate not to go home with a blue, having long-ago lost sight of the fact that they came with nothing and anything they win is actually a plus. It is naked greed.

But that's the nature of the show and we're all guilty of it to greater or lesser extent. Who wouldn't want something for nothing?

[ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]