Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
That was a much better round.

[b]Board

£0.50

£50

Offer: £18
Mean: £25.25
Offer (%) 0.00%
Fair Deal: £15.13

kestral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Author: kestral    Post subject:
Site Owner, Administrator & Global Moderator

Noel opens box 20 and reveals 50p

Box 5 with Hayley contains the £50

Last edited by kestral on Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Well...

...the Banker played it well and Ronnie got what he came for.

Unfortunately this was one of those bad matches of player and board. (See also: Kathleen, Fin.)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject:

Now that's what I call a TBW

Last edited by killersbee on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:56 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I'm off to cool down. I don't want to listen to any more 'wheelchair waffle' or excuses.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:57 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

WooHooo! He beat the banker and the banker admitted it! :D

Well done Ronnie, I thought it was going to go wrong then. Hope you get over to Australia, and you sold a 50p box for £18,000!! :-D

greeny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:57 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

killersbee wrote:
Now that's what I call a TPW?

No, it's a rather large TBW.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

And I doubt we're ever going to see a £425,000 sixth round ever again.

killersbee, it's a TBW.

But what an outrageous game - all the big numbers were there to be hit after the Deal, but he never did until right at the very end!

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

jjcocherfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:01 pm    Author: jjcocherfan    Post subject:

Well, as soon as he found out he could have had 70k there was no saviour for that game whatsoever.

He could have just as easily had a big number in his box and blew it all. So he should count himself lucky it was just £70,000 he missed out on...

Horrible game, horrible deal and plenty more horrible things I will not say for my own sanity.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:04 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

He blew it big time, shock horror, im dissapointed we did not get the dream finish, but still nothing to cheer even when the biggies went he squandered 70k through a really really and i hate to say this cowardly fashion.

No one on here can CONDONE that deal or defend it for that board even H thought it was a grave error.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:05 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

Right, let's get started.

Quote:
OMG YOU'RE TAKING THE PISS? SERIOUSLY WHAT A WASTE VIEWING TIME. This is only the second game I've turned off. The second offer went down, and he WENT AND DEALT? I think this has gone way too far. He may as well have said, take £18,000 home and piss off. But this seriously is enough. People are scared to go on because of trainwrecks. Thats because no-one has the guts to turn down money that isn't even theirs. "£11,000 is a good offer!" I was like WTF?! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A GOOD OFFER WOULD BE? In my opinion, he should've gone to one of the charity shops and asked for sympathy, this was clearly taking the piss. I'm out.

£18,000 is great money Ronnie, I hope you do some good things for your son in his wheelchair. Enjoy it!

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

That proveout was pretty painful but when he had that sixth round I imagined just how much more painful it would be if he'd gone all the way and done that in active play...suddenly it didn't seem like such a bad game after all!

And if the Banker was so absolutely certain that Ronnie had come for £20k, why on earth would he have offered him £41k at the fourth offer? Especially as once the third offer had been lowered, he wouldn't even have turned down £20k by that point...I could seriously see him offering £26k there.

greeny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:06 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

There have been some stupid deals in DOND, but this takes the biscuit. With a board that strong, it was well worth going at least one more, probably two more rounds and gained a LOT more money than he went for.

Dhale750

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:07 pm    Author: Dhale750    Post subject:

Well another coward of a player today (so what if you need the money, this show isn't for you in that case). The offers may have been infalted after the deal but theres no doubt he blew a whole load more than he got.

killersbee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject:

I dread to think what will happen in tomrrow's game...

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:
No one on here can CONDONE that deal or defend it for that board even H thought it was a grave error.

Erm... I can. :? Yes, I wouldn't have dealt at that point, but don't be so single minded. He needed the money and he didn't go on the show to please people, he went on there to get to Australia. And the end result, he sold a 50p box for £18,000...

travis P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:08 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject:

cookie_monster wrote:

In the production eyes, they don't use the system (and couldn't care less) that has been used on here and Bother's Bar by the fans (well, I said fans, I actually mean the critics ;) ) Where OBW/OPW/TBW/TPW is used on here, the show only uses three main game results.

Beating The Banker - Where a contestant decides to sell their box for an offer which is more than the box value. Regardless what the other offers are in the game.

Spanking The Banker - Where either a contestant decides to sell their box for the highest possible profit on their box value or decide to open their box to reveal the biggest available amount in their game (exactly as an OPW).

Banker Victory - Where either a contestant sells their box for an offer which is less than the box value or opens a box which is the lowest compared to the offers.

Back to today's game. Yes, the offer on the board was clearly a "play on and see next offer" as it was strong board but Ronnie was after £20,000 and he got it, all but £2,000. The flip side was the odds to remove reds later in the game were increasing at that stage.

If you were in Ronnie's shoes and had the same board and boxes. Would you pick the same ones he did?

Last edited by travis P on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:

I wouldn't have gone at the third offer today but I think the only thing he did wrong was stick too rigidly to a target. And if he stuck that rigidly to a target it can only mean he had a very clear use for that amount of money, which made it almost as useful to him as something several times larger - which does seem to be the case.

He got what he came for. I'd play the game in a more analytical manner, because my valuation of money is a bit more... continuous, if you like, with no really big kinks in my utility curve. That would have produced a £41k win with today's offers, and maybe a £55k+ OPW with realistic offers, or maybe even a crash to 50p (I wouldn't have been able to bear to swap after that) if the offers were really mean, who knows?

He valued £18,000 that much, he took it! Good for him for resisting all pressure to adopt an alternative approach, even if it would more often than not work out for him (and indeed, today it would have done). He knew what he wanted and he got it.

suszie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:10 pm    Author: suszie    Post subject:

It was just unlucky he missed the big three, as it could have went the other way like matty game.

But that is the thing about deal or no deal, once you have dealt you could have got more, but turn down the big money and you go home with peanuts.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:10 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

travis P wrote:
cookie_monster wrote:

Beating The Banker - Where a contestant decides to sell their box for an offer which is more than the box value. Regardless what the other offers in the game.

So it was a TPW? Because he sold the box for more than it was worth?

[ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]