Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:00 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
killersbee wrote:
Matty did a PJ, but worse

No, Matty did a PJ but £25,000 better, effectively. How is swapping away £50,000 worse than swapping away £75,000?

And if I'm honest, I laugh in the face of Matty for accepting the swap, because his game just goes to show you should NEVER swap. And why did he even receive the offer at all?

Most painful game of 2008? Not by a long way. We're only in March, and there will no doubt be more "painful" games than this.

Like I always say, NEVER SWAP, £35k would've been over the average and actually never happened anyway and Matty, quite frankly serves you right for swapping.

Also, what's all this about an "expected" £25k? Was he not offered £20,000?

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:28 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

I believe £25,000 is the calculated value of the 1 in 3 lottery. As £35,000 was up for grabs on a 1 in 3 chance, plus the guaranteed £20,000, the overall value of the whole offer is £25,000... I think.

Muinimula

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:07 pm    Author: Muinimula    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
I believe £25,000 is the calculated value of the 1 in 3 lottery. As £35,000 was up for grabs on a 1 in 3 chance, plus the guaranteed £20,000, the overall value of the whole offer is £25,000... I think.

Yes - 1/3 chance of £35k, 2/3 chance of £20k, gives an average or expected value of £25k.

I didn't see the game, and from what I've read on here, I'm glad.

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:45 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

You're right h2005. With the eggs, though, it's less attractive than a real offer of £25,000, but that's what it's worth on average.

My two cents (pence?), that was a painful game to watch, memorable for all the wrong reasons. I can only imagine what it must have felt like in the same room at the time.

I felt awkward before the collapse to see Matty jumping around carefree, dismissing a good 2nd round offer and fair 3rd round one, though with that board and opportunity, I can't blame him. The game turning with how much he personally invested emotionally... horrible.

Rather than dismiss it as Noel does, saying it's only one game, I took the time to check the stats on how likely it was to happen.

Matty's game:
11 to 8 box, 3rd worst possible round out of 165 combinations.
8 to 5 box, taking 3 reds out was 4/56.
11 to 5 box, taking 6 reds out was 7/462.

With the eggs, missed an 8/15 chance of receiving another offer with 35k in play after 5 box.
(1/3 good egg * 4/5 chance of keeping 35k, + 2/3 bad egg * 2/5 chance of keeping 35k)

11 box to 2 box, having worst 2 finish was 1/55.
11 to 4 box, all 4 blues kept was 1/330.
All 4 blues kept from 11 to 4, and worst 2 finish: 1/1980.

No wonder the players are scared, after seeing that.

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

Thabks for the stats, crazyeddie and Lewis :D

lovingit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:47 pm    Author: lovingit    Post subject:

hi everyone.. Hayley here.. (played new years eve) i haven't been around for a while.. gone a bit quiet however i had to come on and say that this game was ssssooooooooo funny!! I was in stitches.. not cos he won 1p but because of his reactions and how Noel really didn't know what to say... when matty said 'Noel can we call a break' and noel said 'umm no we can't' it was just so funny.

Sorry Matty i'm sure you are a lovely man if you're reading this, but thanks for making me laugh xx

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

lovingit wrote:
hi everyone.. Hayley here.. (played new years eve) i haven't been around for a while.. gone a bit quiet however i had to come on and say that this game was ssssooooooooo funny!! I was in stitches.. not cos he won 1p but because of his reactions and how Noel really didn't know what to say... when matty said 'Noel can we call a break' and noel said 'umm no we can't' it was just so funny.

That's so cruel, but I can't disagree with you, Hayley!

lovingit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 pm    Author: lovingit    Post subject:

ha ha ha good on ya crazy chair (sorry matty!!)

[ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]