Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:36 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:36 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

croftrock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:34 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
h2005 wrote:
I think there's a way of doing it though without sounding so aggressive.

Sure, I agree. But Noel overstates everything. My point is that it's not about encouraging No Dealing it's about encouraging not turning over.

KP wrote:
croftrock wrote:
I like it when someone is bought cheap as it proves that it's not a brainless game.

As for an alternative to a Wakeyistic proveout, here's one. Straddling games. That allows games to last their natural length rather than every one lasting 36 on-air minutes. But in the absence of that; well, I think most people do stick around for the proveout and would regardless of its nature. It's only natural to want to know what might have been, I'd have thought!

Exactly; rollover format and there's no need to play out the game with drama. But as it is they have to keep it exciting.

I think you're right that people might watch anyway if it was sold less hard but it's not in Noel's nature is it? The most AMAZING game ever. EXTRAORDINARY! Never before in the HISTORY OF THE GAME!!!!

He loves his hyperbole!

NoDeal!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:05 pm    Author: NoDeal!    Post subject:

Anne's offers today were disgusting. 16.5k should have been 26.5k!! However, I repect Anne's deal if she needed the money. It could just as well have gone the otehr way. I would have NDed but that's me. You should never begrudge someone else's financial decision. A bad point to this is that if people keep dealing these offers, the banker will make them lower and lower.

maggieq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:11 pm    Author: maggieq    Post subject:

:? that has to be one of the most disappointing games ever.Anne lost the chance of a lifetime.l think Noel was right to say what he did,we all felt like a deflated balloon after that.she lost BIG TIME.

StuartPlymouth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 pm    Author: StuartPlymouth    Post subject:

I imagine Anne felt bad enough about dealing when she did following the proveout - without people on here having ago about her not analysing the board enough.

I don't think she should've dealt with a board like that, and because I didn't feel any great empathy for her I was rather hoping she had thrown away a good amount.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and not available when you are in the crazy chair.

Box 22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:31 pm    Author: Box 22    Post subject:

I hate wimps like this. Anne started the show by saying she was a Leo and "as brave as a lion."

Empty and meaningless words, she got exactly what she deserved, that has to be the worst and most pathetic deal of all time. Where have all the 'real' brave people gone? This show is becoming increasingly boring with the amount of gutless wimps who have no intention of playing the game and who's only feeble intention is to limply wimp out with 10k for a new kitchen or something like that. Hardly exciting viewing any more when you just know that some of these contestants have got no bravery at all.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:33 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
h2005 wrote:
It just confirms to me that Noel and / or Endemol just want the show to be about no dealing rather than board analysis or anything else.

Are you honestly saying that an analyst type player would have dealt for £16,500 today?

Surely board analysis is needed exactly for times like today? She described £16,500 as a 'good' offer despite it statistically being derisory.

It was the fact that she wasn't an analyst that cost her dear.

i agree - should have been mid 20s for a tricky decision.
My gut reaction would have been 'Julie was offered 27K here'

It was a grand less than lance was offered and he had a blue instead of 10K as well and his courage got him to 87K.

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:09 am    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

I think Anne made a good decision when she dealt in the fifth round. She decided that the 30% chance of the offer dropping considerably, outweighed the 30% that it would be much higher.

When the banker makes the offers, it isn't the offers themselves that are the most important thing. It's the reactions to the offers that helps him do so well.

When Anne no dealt the £15,500 in the second round, she made a brief face gesture, indicating that she was uncomfortable with the decision. This gave away that she found it difficult to risk the money, even on a stable board.

When the board started to collapse, the banker kept the offers low, knowing that either the board would fall apart, or she would deal if it recovered.

The key to the banker's strategy is reading everything a player does. This information prevents wasting money when making higher offers.

If the banker makes a much higher offer in that scenario, effectively he could have cut his savings in half. Making the most efficient offers possible mirrors the workings of bankers in real life.

Of course, sometimes he gets it wrong. Observe when Mario repeatedly rubbed his hands, indicating that he wanted more money, which was ignored. Only the board collapsing saved the banker that time.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:34 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

crazyeddie wrote:
I think Anne made a good decision when she dealt in the fifth round. She decided that the 30% chance of the offer dropping considerably, outweighed the 30% that it would be much higher.

She didn't analyse the board at all she just saw 16.5K and based her decision on superstition.

i just get annoyed when players get bought cheap, if the offer was 10K more I wouldn't have got so annoyed at the deal even if she'd had that proveout.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:50 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

What alexandercbrown said, but crazyeddie's point is entirely rational explanation for playing safe there.

Although it wouldn't be the same for me.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:53 am    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Well, that was certainly a speculative deal, to say the least, and most people would've carried on with that board. But when you're in the studio, the offers feel so much more real than at home, and under the pressure of the lights and faced with a significant sum of money (which it was to Anne), I can understand a deal. Sometimes, the player's too caught up in the game to even consider board analysis. The banker read her perfectly, and it was a skilfully judged offer.

A rule I usually use at that stage when determining whether to deal is to take the top value away and imagine the next offer with the 2nd amount and a blue remaining, in this situation say £50/ £75,000. As I'd expect a greater offer from this (£20-£25k), I would carry on.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:14 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

I can understand why Anne dealt today. I always sensed she was playing a target based game. However, I thought she was brilliant. I was really pleased when she dealt, I was starting to sense a blue win.

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:27 am    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

StatsMan wrote:
Well, that was certainly a speculative deal, to say the least, and most people would've carried on with that board. But when you're in the studio, the offers feel so much more real than at home, and under the pressure of the lights and faced with a significant sum of money (which it was to Anne), I can understand a deal. Sometimes, the player's too caught up in the game to even consider board analysis. The banker read her perfectly, and it was a skilfully judged offer.

A rule I usually use at that stage when determining whether to deal is to take the top value away and imagine the next offer with the 2nd amount and a blue remaining, in this situation say £50/ £75,000. As I'd expect a greater offer from this (£20-£25k), I would carry on.

The way the red/blue offers have been for the final 2, 30% of the red is about as high as the banker is going. 20% has been offered so £15K may have been offered on a £75K/blue but the loss of £1,500 on the previous offer should have been worth the gamble.

Aramid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:54 pm    Author: Aramid    Post subject:

VERY BAD DEAL WELL I CANNOT BLAME HER

yoozel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:48 pm    Author: yoozel    Post subject:

NoDeal! wrote:
Anne's offers today were disgusting. 16.5k should have been 26.5k!! However, I repect Anne's deal if she needed the money. It could just as well have gone the otehr way. I would have NDed but that's me. You should never begrudge someone else's financial decision. A bad point to this is that if people keep dealing these offers, the banker will make them lower and lower.

This is what I don't understand... if she dealt the 'disgusting' offer of £16,500 why should it have ever been as high as £26,500????

Why should the offer have been £26,500 when she still dealt £16,500 in the first place?

You're not the first to say this, it's confusing me :?

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:50 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

Wow. I was pretending my pillow was Noel's face. He was awful for poor Anne :(

yoozel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:40 am    Author: yoozel    Post subject:

cookie_monster wrote:
Wow. I was pretending my pillow was Noel's face. He was awful for poor Anne :(

That's a bit excessive, don't you think? :shock:

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:08 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

NoDeal! wrote:

£26,500? :shock: I'd love you as a banker mate :-D

Anyway, er, welldone Anne.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]