Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:58 pm Last visit was: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

greeny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:00 pm    Author: greeny    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Big-Davey wrote:
Craig wrote:
OMG, i cant actually believe that, im going to say something now and not look at this thread again, cause i no whats coming! Unbelieveable game

Enjoy £16,5000 Anne!

Know what you mean, the Wakeys would now have a FIELD day!

Having said that though, we all would have No Dealt to an amazing finish - and I for one with Box 2 on the table, would have won £100,000 today!

Same here, given my birthday is the 2nd.

Profile E-mail  

Lewis246

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:08 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:
hahahahahahahha once again a derisory offer is taken and the player is punished massivly for it just proves once again my attitude = big money. GRAB THE MOMENT.

Your attitude = sometimes spectacular crashes.

SrWilson wrote:
I hope you dealers are happy all shouting deal to 16k at the tv and now look at whats happened

Really? I certainly wasn't shouting deal at the TV and even if I was, it wouldn't have affected Anne's decision. I doubt she'd be able to hear someone 40-odd miles away, and a few months in the future.

SrWilson wrote:
see you cautious peoples play method 99% of the time = OBW and the player looking sad and humiliated.

Your play method = Spectacular crashes and sometimes big money
Cautious play method = Happy that you still have a nice amount of money

Oh, and she deserves to miss out on £83,500 simply because she did something you wouldn't have done? Pathetic.

Some people really find it difficult to turn down those amounts of money sometimes. Not everyone's a multi-millionaire you know. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

SrWilson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:10 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

A deal with that board was horrible but dealing at a DERISORY offer is just pathetic and losing out on 83k odd is paying the piper.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Billy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:11 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject:

Ok, the show officially sucks right now. The Banker is just giving out rubbish offers because he knows they'll be taken, that was one of THE easiest ways to win £100k ever.

It's late May again, no one's winning anything huge, and it's looking very much like in a few shows time we'll get to the unprecedented situation where every single player on the 22 hasn't seen a single win above £25,000, which has never happened before ever. The only contestants left on the show who have are JC, Artak and Sarah, the last three left from Chris B's game!

At least she didn't win a blue, but come on, we seriously need a huge big-winning game to get everyone in a positive mood, right now the month with the lowest peak win is £41,000 in January 2006...so far this month it's £25,000!

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:22 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

I really warmed to Anne in her game, but oh heck, we didn't want that ending at all.

I can understand why she dealt. £16,500 obviously means alot to her and she didn't want to risk it. Just a shame she had £100,000 in her box.

Welldone Anne, enjoy £16,500! :D

“Tell me," Wittgenstein's asked a friend, "why do people always say, it was natural for man to assume that the sun went round the earth rather than that the earth was rotating?" His friend replied, "Well, obviously because it just looks as though the Sun is going round the Earth."
Wittgenstein replied, "Well, what would it have looked like if it had looked as though the Earth was rotating?”
― Ludwig Wittgenstein

KP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:04 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Ooooh dear.

Certainly looking like the Banker's getting a succession of early Christmas presents so far. I'd have gone on and won (through swapping) £75,000 there, but any time there are two blues in the final five and a non-trivial amount of money on the table the cautious player's eyes do go in one particular direction, and who says that's wrong? At worst, it's an inability to read the board!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:04 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

I expected the Wakeyists to go crazy about this one, still waiting for basicasic... have to say it was a fairly weak deal, just looked up Lance's game as he had the same final two, and he turned down more with three blues alongside them.

But she didn't want to leave with nothing and that's fair enough I suppose. It's one of those spells where the players just can't get it right and we're long overdue a big win.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:14 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Oh dear me!

I was thinking the way the bankers offers are at the moment, if anyone has big money on the table, they'd get it unless they did something like avoid all the worthless blues or leave 1p alonside it or something - or swap it away!

And while I too would have won 100k there, given she went on unpaid leave to be on the show, I can fully understand her for not wanting to go with nothing. I've seen it go completely pear-shaped for people who have given up their job to go on and stuff. Plus I think her luck had ran out after that unbelieveable start.

But I am encouraged that the following players might be more encouraged to play on a bit more and not stand for crap offers, that it can go the other way too and they can win huge. I think JC's game, which is surely imminent, is the big hope.

Fingers crossed!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

croftrock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:17 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

I actually enjoyed that game more than yesterday's.

Can't we give the banker credit when he reads someone that well? It's a two way game isn't it?

I like it when someone is bought cheap as it proves that it's not a brainless game.

Bet the banker tries for £16,500 again tomorrow. It's the new £26K !!

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:38 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

If ever there was a prime example of how not to play the game this was it. One of the most memorable feeble deals for a long while. A once in a lifetime's chance to win life changing money once again squandered away.

From the moment I set eyes on Ann I thought 'DEAL'. Obviously the Banker thought so too as the opening 2 offers were lousy for the board and they didn't get any better as the game progressed. He knew he would get her cheap but I bet he didn't know how cheap.

Still it forced her on and spared us a 3rd or 4th offer deal and by 5 box the board was looking excellent. I recognise greed when I see it and knew she was ready to grab any offer no matter how insulting. And it was insulting. £16500. Not even a years wages.

I squirmed with embarassment at the proveout and the Banker's raucous laughter at 2 box fitted the situation perfectly. He must laugh himself silly at players like this and who can blame him for offering derisory amounts when they are grabbed with such pathetic desperation. And Noel should have been more scathing too. She wouldn't have got any words of comfort off me.

A shameful game. A kick in the teeth for all the brave and courageous players that have gone before but haven't had the luck with them. And to see this. My heart goes out to them.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:44 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Being an environmental planning student and having spent three hours in a lecture with 30 architects and 5 planners this afternoon, listening to some of the "dream world" stuff the architects come out with, I get home to see DOND. I've come to a conclusion on a new perspective on the dealing / no dealing thing, one which is personal to me.

Dealers = planners - they look at what might happen and try and do the best thing to make sure that things don't go totally wrong in the future (not to mention the negotiation and dealing that is required in the implementation of planning!).

No dealers = architects - they have dreams about what they want to do, even if it may not be achievable.

The classic crap Noel was coming out with makes me think he's secretly an architect. He was acting as though he had applied for planning permission for an overly ambitious design, and it had been refused.

Some Noel trash from today: "We have to find the £100k, otherwise she's made a huge mistake" "NO! NO NO NO!"... "This is a complete disaster if the next box is £50."

The words "squander", "self-belief" and "courage" came into it often too. He says £86,500 would be extremely useful in her life - maybe £16,500 is useful to her too?! Don't forget she could've ended up winning £50 at the point she dealt - Noel forgets that, well how convenient!!

He also went on about making the most of the moment, and the big money can be won if you have "the ounce of bravery", which "[Anne] didn't have".

Anyway, well done to Anne for focussing on what she wanted and doing the deal she needed. Yes, it is fact that once in a while a no deal produces an exciting game and a huge win, but what gets me the most is Noel's attitude which seems to be creeping back. It just confirms to me that Noel and / or Endemol just want the show to be about no dealing rather than board analysis or anything else.

Me? I may well have gone on, but fully respect Anne for dealing when I did. I was not shouting "deal" at the TV, and before people say I love dealers... no, I disagreed with Michael's and Tink's deals recently, so nerrrrr.

Profile E-mail  

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:53 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

h2005 wrote:
It just confirms to me that Noel and / or Endemol just want the show to be about no dealing rather than board analysis or anything else.

Are you honestly saying that an analyst type player would have dealt for £16,500 today?

Surely board analysis is needed exactly for times like today? She described £16,500 as a 'good' offer despite it statistically being derisory.

It was the fact that she wasn't an analyst that cost her dear.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:56 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
h2005 wrote:
It just confirms to me that Noel and / or Endemol just want the show to be about no dealing rather than board analysis or anything else.

Are you honestly saying that an analyst type player would have dealt for £16,500 today?

Surely board analysis is needed exactly for times like today? She described £16,500 as a 'good' offer despite it statistically being derisory.

It was the fact that she wasn't an analyst that cost her dear.

Not today in particular, maybe I should've made that clear. Board analysis would surely have won her £100k today. But there have been other examples (particularly in the early part of 2007 - use Alex's game as an example) where board analysis would rather be forgotten by Noel.

Profile E-mail  

croftrock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:57 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
Yes, it is fact that once in a while a no deal produces an exciting game and a huge win, but what gets me the most is Noel's attitude which seems to be creeping back. It just confirms to me that Noel and / or Endemol just want the show to be about no dealing rather than board analysis or anything else.

Why do you think this though? It doesn't make sense. Noel MUST ALWAYS say "it's not enough" "disaster""biggest mistake of your life" etc etc otherwise there is no incentive for viewers to watch post deal in future shows. It has to build the importance of the proveout to give viewers the biggest possible incentive to watch post deal in the future.

There's nothing sinister about it. It's just presentation protecting the latter part of the show.

Today's deal was a dreadful decision/brilliant offer though. So I enjoyed the rub in more than I should!

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:05 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

croftrock wrote:
enjoyed the rub in more than I should!

Fair enough. I personally don't like seeing the players noses being rubbed into it.

Profile E-mail  

croftrock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:11 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
croftrock wrote:
enjoyed the rub in more than I should!

Fair enough. I personally don't like seeing the players noses being rubbed into it.

But there's no alternative. That's my point. He has to do it. If he paints the proveout as unimportant/unexciting then why watch post deal?

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:19 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

I think there's a way of doing it though without sounding so aggressive. I agree he has to keep the average Joe Bloggs viewer watching... but if people get so bored during proveout that they would switch off, then should they be watching a show where the title is DEAL OR no deal?!

And anyway, Noel's inconsistent, which makes it even stranger... :?

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:23 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

croftrock wrote:
I like it when someone is bought cheap as it proves that it's not a brainless game.

Now that I'll actually go with. These deals are, perhaps, best seen as victories for the Banker, successfully reading the player.

As for an alternative to a Wakeyistic proveout, here's one. Straddling games. That allows games to last their natural length rather than every one lasting 36 on-air minutes. But in the absence of that; well, I think most people do stick around for the proveout and would regardless of its nature. It's only natural to want to know what might have been, I'd have thought!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:31 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

Wow. Well that shifted about quite a bit.

I respect the fact that Anne dealt when she did, i personally wouldn't have but still, it was the decision that felt right for her..it just didn't work out.

And it isn't fair to call her pathetic...she went on UNPAID leave to be on the show...

Well done though Anne! £16,500 is a nice amount of money.

Profile E-mail  

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:33 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

Another game where the player disregarded the probabilities but for a change dealing when the odds were in her favour.

Yes, £16.5K is a nice amount of money but with only a 30% of the offer going down, I'd have wanted £20K minimum to even warrant considering the offer.

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]