Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:08 pm Last visit was: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:08 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lucky me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:16 pm    Author: Lucky me    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
:D OMG I had to get the tissues out. Great game and well done Shaz. ooooh and did you notice the plastic no deal water cups debut :D Brenda.

Analyst

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:31 pm    Author: Analyst    Post subject:

Well done Shaz!

You did make me laugh with the way you went from crying to jumping about afterrevealing the blue in your box! Yeah, well done, you're under my wing now which is cool.

Big D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:56 pm    Author: Big D    Post subject:

the banker is a total ars*hole for offering her 25k when Stevie Wonder could see she was gonna take the 20.how many times in the past has he really astuck to the nice contestants having really bad luck with the boxes, and this idiot "oh, I couldn't possibly drink out of a glass with the rim too thick" gets rewarded for it. I wish I was the banker, she'd have gone home with 50 quid.

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:00 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

I'd never have predicted that outcome at the fourth offer - like Michael's game recently I was expecting to see the first all-blue squashdown in ages (who has done that, just out of interest, can't have been many!) But she held her nerve, avoided the remaining big one and resisted the desperation deal, and was well rewarded for it.

Jay didn't help with his feelings about his box though, just as well she didn't allow that to influence her - wish contestants in the wings would avoid that kind of thing at a stage like that, especially when it makes the player rethink their game plan.

And that was the first stone-cold deal final offer we've seen in ages. Remarkably generous when she would have snapped his hand off at the guaranteed £20k. I was expecting an offer of something like £20,000.01!

KP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:23 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Power5 wrote:
I was expecting to see the first all-blue squashdown in ages (who has done that, just out of interest, can't have been many!)

Remarkably, nobody! We've only ever had two one-colour squashdowns, the all-red ones of Matt The Day Before Lance and Jeff Who Dealt At Offer 3 - neither in active play!

Closest we've got are the three all-blue final fives, I don't think there's been any more of those - we are overdue some!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Power5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Power5 wrote:
I was expecting to see the first all-blue squashdown in ages (who has done that, just out of interest, can't have been many!)

Remarkably, nobody! We've only ever had two one-colour squashdowns, the all-red ones of Matt The Day Before Lance and Jeff Who Dealt At Offer 3 - neither in active play!

Closest we've got are the three all-blue final fives, I don't think there's been any more of those - we are overdue some!

I knew Geordie, Emi and Jeannie (post deal) had all-blue final fives, but couldn't remember if any of them had all-blue squashdowns, or if there were any more I'd missed.

Anyway, all-blue final five is a 1 in 57 shot (we would expect to have seen 10 by now) and all-blue squashdown a 1 in 161.5 (we would expect to have seen 3 or 4 of those, or by symmetry about 7 one-colour squashdowns - quite remarkable if we've only seen two and both red.)

By the way I think you mean Nick the day before Lance, rather than Matt (that confused me for a minute!)

KP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:33 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Yup, you're right, I got thrown too. I had memories of Matt in my mind but no.

And yes, quite remarkable how few one-colour squashdowns we've had. Closest the other way was of course Daniel's famous not-a-squashdown with the Power 5 and £750!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Lewis246

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:47 pm    Author: Lewis246    Post subject:

Enid also had an all-red squashdown.

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:56 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject:

Talk about a tense game!

I couldn't believe the £750 offer from the Banker and it was of course no dealt swiftly, but then when he played the emotional tactic with the envelopes and the kids I thought that Shaz may have dealt as it was literally all or peanuts and the Banker played on that with emotion. However a brave no deal from Shaz provided one of the most tense end games for a while and when Jay mentioned his feeling about his box I was shouting at the screen telling him to 'shut up' as it nearly could of ruined her game if she had decided to leave him because of his feeling.

Now if that was me and I had a feeling I would keep my mouth shut at that stage as I would not want to influence the player like that and I would feel devestated if I was responsible for changing someone's mind.

Luckily Shaz ignored him anyway, and then we got the rather generous offer of £25,000 when it was pretty clear she would of dealt at £20,000 and I think we all knew she would deal there, as would I today.

So well done Shaz on your £25,000 and for giving the Banker a right good spanking :)

basicasic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:26 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Well I didn't particularly like Shaz on the wings but quickly warmed to her as her game progressed.

A bit of a tear-jerker of a game too. A one-box disaster by 8 box she was given no get out comfort there or at 5 box. Both offers I thought were easy no-deals and presented no dilemma whatsoever. Even Michael last week would have no-dealt them :shock: ......... well perhaps not. :?

So the Banker deserved to be stung for being so mean spirited though quite why he was so generous at 2 box is beyond me. If he'd been half as charitable at 5 box she would have leapt at a deal and he'd have saved a fortune.

The ending was a bit of a damp squib with a guaranteed inflated offer which again presented no challenge especially after all she'd been through. Having had strong feelings for John's box 10 Shaz should have had the courage of her convictions and no-dealt £25k and swapped for it.

£75k after all that really would have been a sweet result!

Simon F

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:31 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

What was the banker thinking today? I was thinking that £7-8K at 5 box would probably have been enough to get me to deal but £3K was a no-brainer.

I didn't like Noel's remark about Shaz being courageous today. I think it was more common sense than courage.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:54 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

Wow, what a game!

I hadn't really warmed to Shaz during her time on the wings but she was a really nice player, who deserved the £25k. Well done!!

elliecat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 pm    Author: elliecat    Post subject:

I really enjoyed the game and, like others, feel the banker was a bit odd with the unnecessary extra £5k.

Fun to watch though. I like it when people win money that you know will enhance their lives a lot.

croftrock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:32 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

elliecat wrote:
I really enjoyed the game and, like others, feel the banker was a bit odd with the unnecessary extra £5k.

Fun to watch though. I like it when people win money that you know will enhance their lives a lot.

The extra 5K was to squeeze out an extra "gasp" when people new it would be 20K. The banker is actually Mr producer man don't forget.

I'm sure they will do they guarantee offer again. Even though in reality the banker, if playing purely to save cash, shouldn't, the fact is it produced such a great game they'll be bound to!

Top top telly again today. Figures have rocketed recently btw and are now peaking at 3 million plus every single day like the good old days! Yay!!

NoDeal!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:54 pm    Author: NoDeal!    Post subject:

I think the banker's guaranteed 20k was smart because he knew it'd make her carry on. He was probably expecting a trainwreck but no. Also, why did she get 25k if Chris B got 15k with 1k/75k??

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:55 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Great game today, recovering from that one box game situation at 8 box to win £25,000 and claim a fantastic OPW! Although I have to agree that the banker rather handed her the money on a plate after £750 at 8-box and only £3,000 at 5-box with £75,000 in play... very strange, indeed.

Anyway, on another matter, I *think* the banker may have his stats on box 19 slightly wrong, in terms of appearances anyway. Previous to today, I think it has only appeared 25 times on the table (shows 8, 33, 62, 144, 164, 179, 185, 198, 226, 228, 254, 375, 381, 406, 408, 411, 421, 424, 435, 459, 483, 510, 551, 553 and 584 if you want to check...), not 29 as the banker said.

Not that it matters, really!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:05 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

NoDeal! wrote:
I think the banker's guaranteed 20k was smart because he knew it'd make her carry on.

He made the "promise" after she'd no dealt though, which makes it even more interesting...

NoDeal! wrote:
Also, why did she get 25k if Chris B got 15k with 1k/75k??

He had a final two of 1p vs £75k, so the £15k offer was more understandable due to the stigma of the 1p.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:22 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject:

Wouldn't the banker have been better saying about the guaranteed £20k for an all-blue round BEFORE she said "No Deal", or did he really consider £3k as a walking offer for her?

Saying the next offer beforehand would certainly add a new dimension to the game if contestants effectively knew what they were gambling for if they carried on. The banker could make the gamble tempting for a gambler, or even over-generous for a cautious player (I suppose that was the ploy today for a dramatic finish. I don't really see the point in saying it after the no deal though - anyone with a fair grasp of maths will know the offer will be around £20k after an all-blue round, anyway...).

The banker could also be pressurising the player into thinking they should take the offer, because the next offer won't be as generous!

I should add that the show probably shouldn't use this tactic of announcing the next offer early because it's clearly meddling too much with the format I fear, but it's interesting from a purely hypothetical point of view!

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

Billy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:23 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject:

Gimme an A, gimme a W, gimme an E and gimme a SOME!! That is my Show of the Month for November so far, best game since Chris B's!

I warmed to Shaz incredibly quickly due to being a fellow Londoner, but it looked like one of those horrible 'slow trainwreck' games where a big amount goes every round. After the £250k went and especially the £1k, I was terrified in the run-up of every box, and so hoped she wouldn't 'do a Michael' and take that £750. Getting to the final stage and keeping the last actual big sum of money left totally rocked, and when that £25,000 offer was announced (I too thought that it was going to just be £20,000 so was stunned when it wasn't!), I hadn't wanted someone to Deal as much as her since Tom's New Orleans Dream in September! She did and she got a stunner of an OPW in the process!

What a legendary game, really really really well done Shaz, you 'ave to admit she spanked the Banker, innit!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:53 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Is that the worst Banker performance of the season so far? It's up there for sure - £5k too much on the final offer, stupidly low at 8- and 5-box, and basically almost anyone would have won an OPW there.

Although I'm very glad she got the Banker at his most incompetent!

I know the banker is so stupid giving easy no deals. Still I guess it's the inverse and paypack for september really.
If you give people high offers like April they don't work for their money but this is as bad - no tricky decisions.

Going from mean to generous - bizarre. I probably would have offered 2K, 7K and 19/20K.

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]