Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:08 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:08 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I think this has to be one of the worst tactical games on the banker's behalf... the fact he has now just done that totally makes a mockery of the show's "deal" element if he can now make players change their mind.

Did Endemol learn nothing from PJ's show and how no-one particularly liked the banker's tactics?

Phyllis was happy with £10,000 and all this tomfoolery has put a total dampner on the game and made it look as though she could've won £50,000. It's not just a case of her having it in her box, either. It's a case of the deal being undone and a hypothetical swap. I wish the proveout final offer had come up on screen - "BANKER'S OFFER: UNDO THE DEAL"... because that's what happened.

Endemol clearly want to FORCE no deals... so why not just rename the show "NO DEAL"? Or, to save money, why not make it like a lottery and have 4 minutes of dancing, hugging, crying, singing and fiddling with props and 1 minute opening the player's box?

I think today's show is one of the worst ever in my opinion... I didn't particularly like the stuff with the woman in the audience either but luckily I did like Phyllis so at least all was not lost. And let's face it, she *beep* beat the *beep* banker... she had took the peak offer of the game and had 1p in her box! She sold a 1p box! Well done Phyllis and enjoy the money!

Clearly Endemol just thought they'd try and make her cry even more as she was obviously an emotional lady.

I'm probably just in a bad mood after cycling home and getting totally drenched. Still, nothing like a good rant on a Tuesday afternoon.

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject:

Well, the ending was unique shall we say

That would have been very heartbreaking if she had accepted the offer but not swapped. We would have been going apopleptic if she had sacrificed 10,000 for 1p

But thankfully Phyllis had the good sense to turn that offer down and well done to her on £10,000

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

Last edited by richie4eva1 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:06 pm    Author: Zell    Post subject:

I agree with you H. Phyllis seemed a nice lady, but that game was among the worst ever... :(

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:06 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

when 1p is in the final two anything goes :D

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

redrum666

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:07 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Tom22 wrote:
redrum666 = KP...

Well it seemed pretty illogical to me that it was just a gimic she'd have never that last offer, it would take a bigger gambler to carry on than to deal when she did, so she was never going to take it and the Banker knew that.

Good game!

Well, I'm sorry but it's true. It was a pointless gimmick that proves how desperate they are getting simply because of the run of low numbers on the table and low wins. Can't they just leave the format alone for god's sake?

Lucky me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:18 pm    Author: Lucky me    Post subject:

:) That was certainly a very tense game. I wouldn't have wanted to play that one. Her age dictated she should sensibly deal, a younger person would probably have gambled. Bridget was the star of the show :lol: Brenda.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:22 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject:

I loved that... Aussie Deal in the UK. I want to see that happen again. It's one of those times where everyone else disagrees with me.

SrWilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:24 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

When the 1p is in final two it should happen or a PJ type thing like I said when 1p is in final two ANYTHING GOES. :-D.

They should not have tried this on phyliss though since she clearly was having none of it.

AND PACK IT IN WITH HYPO SWAPS IT RUINS THE GAME END.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

Billy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:30 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject:

I'm still in shock!! Really, really didn't see that coming! I can't believe that guy solved the Countdown Conundrum just in time, really lucky!

Oh, and something interesting happened on Deal or No Deal too! The game was really fun with a very entertaining contestant, although it ends the run of 13 shows without a fourth offer Deal, just a few more shows and a new record would have been set (we're still so close to a new record run of no third offer Deals, though), but with £10,000 it's a great sum to have.

And then the final twist happens, I couldn't believe it! I definitely knew that a PJ situation would be on our hands and the forums would go crazy, and just think if she had actually gone on and did it...heck, imagine if she had done it and *won the penny*, the whole internet would be in total meltdown, and the Banker wouldn't be able to phone back and say she could have what was in the Viewer's Box as that's now impossible!

As much as some dislike it, I think things like this have to be done to keep the show fresh, as I stick by what I said after PJ's game, it made really exciting TV. Let's not forget that she's also £10,000 richer, so well done on that, Phyllis!

Muinimula

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:51 pm    Author: Muinimula    Post subject:

This gimmick reminds me of what basicasic often says when players no deal large amounts and go on to win less: they never actually "had" the money when they said "no deal". I guess this is the debate - some people think that as soon as a player is made an offer, that money is actually theirs until they say "no deal"; other people think they only actually have the money once they say "deal".

On this occasion, Phyllis accepted £10k, but then had the chance to give it back. I wonder if she had done, and won the 1p, some people would have still been saying "she never really had £10k"...

I still think it's dodgy of the banker to do such things. It's just like ringing back to bump up the offer, if the player looks like they're going to no deal. If the contestant has made up their mind, the banker shouldn't be allowed to mess about to try and force a certain outcome.

Oh, and the £3k offer was too low with the £50k still on the board.

basicasic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:11 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Phyllis was so full of emulsion it brought a tear to my glass eye. :smt022

A show completely ruined by a pointless gimmick if you ask me. Initially I thought 'GREAT - another chance to gamble'. Then after I thought about it I realised I would never have dealt in the first place and anyone who did is unlikely to take such a risk anyway.

So a seemingly innovative strategem that really is a pointless gimmick. And it runs roughshod over the whole premise of the show. Once you've dealt that's it. Tough luck if the proveout is unfavorable or good judgement if it's favorable.

Phyliss seemed a nice old dear but turning on the waterworks every few minutes soon made me fed up. She was an obvious dealer from the off so it was a matter of when rather than if. She didn't seem the sort of person to take the slightest risk and after she had dealt and then the ludicrous 'offer' at 2 box I couldn't care less what happened after.

The whole game was pure pap.

Zeddie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:13 pm    Author: Zeddie    Post subject:

Haha, I love the negative reaction here. I liked the extra tension that the twist brought. I hope the Banker does it again, not in the near future, because that'll make it less unique, but it's kind of like the double or nothing thing they have/had on Aussie Deal. :)

EDIT: Oh, lol, I see Aussie dond has already been mentioned ^_^ Fun :D

Simon F

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:27 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:
And let's face it, she *beep* beat the *beep* banker... she had took the peak offer of the game and had 1p in her box! She sold a 1p box!

The peak offer was £13,000.

The first thing I thought of when the reversal of the no-deal was mentioned was the thought of this forum spontaneously combusting.

The banker must have known she was never going to gamble - I bet it was just to introduce the idea for future games.

I was actually more annoyed at the return of the hypothetical swap today. I wish I was in the audience, I would have cheered when the £50K was opened.

crazyeddie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:11 pm    Author: crazyeddie    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Here's the analysis for Phyllis' game, and an interesting one, too. :)

Boxes: 14 ( 0.01 1 5 10 50 750 1,000 3,000 5,000 15,000 20,000 35,000 50,000 250,000 )
Offer: 13,000 ( 48% )
Average: 27,130
Balance: 259 to 54,000
2-box average: 20% of time above current, 41% of time above offer.

A curious board. Though a good one, is only going to improve at 2-box 20% of the time.

There are 5 amounts higher than £13,000, and with a good backup, is a clear no deal.

Boxes: 8 ( 0.01 1 5 10 50 5,000 50,000 250,000 )
Offer: 10,000 ( 26% )
Average: 38,133
Balance: 4 to 76,263
2-box average: 25% of time above current, 46% of time above offer.

When 5 reds were removed in the last 6 boxes, the board became much more dangerous. The risk of the board collapsing from 14-box was 40%, now it's 54%.

When the fallbacks are removed, the relative value of the board, different from the offer and the average, changes. When this happens, you must be more prepared to risk it all, knowing that there's a smaller chance of having the large amounts in your box. Otherwise, the risk to the banker is reduced from slim-but-possible, to virtually nil.

Even though the loss of the £250,000 would be bad, £50,000 is still a fallback, and even the £5,000 can be considered a reasonable amount of money to win.

Interestingly, the loss of the reds can make a player more cautious, or more determined. Dealing may be the correct decision for Phyllis, though maybe it was too cautious.

Boxes: 2 ( 0.01 50,000 )
Proveout offer: 10,000 ( 40% )
Replay offer: 0 for second chance ( 100% )
Average: 25,000

An unprecedented situation, offering a second chance of playing. Essentially a risk-free pass to 2-box, as half the time the board would have already collapsed. Risking a secure and very good deal for the banker like this requires a lot of confidence!

It was unlikely she would have willingly gone to the end with her board at 8-box. Now, with a 1 in 2 chance of winning £50,000, even she was tempted by a simple 4:1 return on money.

And the banker, knowing how likely Phyllis was to decline the second chance, made the offer. He would have probably only made the offer with these two boxes in play as well. The offers at 2-box with 1p in play are certainly proving to be wildcards.

Overall good game, and perhaps a taste of what could happen in the future if there's ever a first or second round deal... if the dissenting crowd don't lynch the studio first. :shock: :P ;)

And just to say, I'm happy that you won £10,000 Phyllis. Enjoy the money. :D

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:15 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Welldone Phyllis! Enjoy £10,000! :D

Last edited by "The Banker" on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James1978

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:30 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

I just thought that tactic was used to ruin what should have been a happy end to the game with the reveal of the 1p in her box and Noel being all like "YES!!! You avoided going in that caravan!! WELL DONE!!" but instead we got THAT!!!

I would like to see it used on someone who may actually may decide to undeal - I think Ed would be a good candidate out of the current 22, die to him knowing what is and isn't a good offer - not a nervous emtoional old lady. I think they had it in the pipeline for a while, just the opportunaity never arose until today, as the "offer" would have to be more or less the same as the amount dealt for - 20% of the all on all or nothing is about right I feel, so it smacked of a gimmick they were desperate to use!

I will say it was definitely better than what they did to PJ though - at least with this you have some element of choice in the matter!

And about the 8-box deal - it was actually the first one for MONEY since Stephen's game over a month ago - only Tom went at 8-box since, and that was for a one-off "money can't buy" prize - so indeed the Wakeyists have had it good in that respect! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

croftrock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:24 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:

Did Endemol learn nothing from PJ's show and how no-one particularly liked the banker's tactics?

PJ's show is one of the most popular of all time according to Channel 4. You may not have liked it but the vast majority of ordinary viewers love anything that raises the stakes.

Get a grip. It was brilliant. The show is a living breathing thing. That's what makes it so exciting.

Duffer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:34 pm    Author: Duffer    Post subject:

What an odd game. Call me old fashioned, but I was under the impression that the show was about 'dealing' and 'no dealing'. Silly me.

I'm not usually one who minds them playing with the format a bit as I appreciate that everything needs a refresh every now and then but, without being unkind, the actual game itself has never exactly been the most mentally challenging. You could let a gorilla loose in the studio and eventually it would manage to open all the boxes and win a prize. The one part where the players do have to think, however, is when it comes to choosing the point at which it is best to deal. That's the only brain engaging decision that they have to make during the entire game. Take that element of the show away and you might as well take the whole show away as well...

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:45 pm    Author: Craig    Post subject:

croftrock wrote:
h2005 wrote:

PJ's show is one of the most popular of all time according to Channel 4. You may not have liked it but the vast majority of ordinary viewers love anything that raises the stakes.

Get a grip. It was brilliant. The show is a living breathing thing. That's what makes it so exciting.

I completely agree with you here Croftrock, if somebody had actually accepted this offer it would make the ending so much better!

22identicalboxes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:04 pm    Author: 22identicalboxes    Post subject:

Well, that was a bit different! I liked Phyllis, but I thought the twist at the end was silly.

Last edited by 22identicalboxes on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]