Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SrWilson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:24 am    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Warnings: 0
I just worry its becoming more like the USA one and next someone will say they would love to own insert name type car or something and then the banker offers that.

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:32 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

It is a bit odd, I know it's called the 'dream factory' but it's a strange new dimension the banker offering 'dreams' directly rather than money to fund them.

croftrock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:41 am    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

redrum666 wrote:
croftrock wrote:
cookie_monster wrote:
I really enjoyed that apart from the last offer!

You have got to be kidding!! That was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud at the telly.

It's not meant to be funny. The banker is meant to tell the truth and be honest and he didn't do that. Granted, had he said £1,800 and a postcard then it would've been fine but he didn't and therefore he lied.

It's not meant to be funny?!

It's a TV game show. It is funny. Funny and tense and exciting and interesting. That's why it's so good.

A real offer would have been irrelevant as his peak had passed and so it turned a nothing moment into an hilarious one. That's a good TV show.

basicasic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:41 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

SrWilson wrote:
I just worry its becoming more like the USA one and next someone will say they would love to own insert name type car or something and then the banker offers that.

That would be unacceptable in my opinion. The factor in todays offer which made it acceptable was the parts that that cannot really be valued or would be unobtainable by an ordinary member of the public. Such as the VIP seats, the VIP party, players jersey, video.

I hope the 'dream offers' are used sparingly though and do not degenerate to car, boat, holiday etc as they will soon become boring and ruin the show.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:53 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

yes, I agree, basicasic.
Players have to weigh up the risk when thinking about their dreams and that's point of the show. I can sort of see why it was used but i'm 99% sure, it's rare.

Mental Mickey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:45 am    Author: Mental Mickey    Post subject:

Location: Secret lair inside a hollowed-out volcano somewhere near Preston
SrWilson wrote:

I think I'll stake my claim now. My name is Mental Mickey and my dream is to own a Bugatti Veyron.

It only costs £810,000. Please Mr. Banker make my dream come true! :lol:

Favourite contestants:

50 Shows Lucy, £20 Gerry

Rich D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:16 am    Author: Rich D    Post subject:

Definitely pleased that Tom dealt when he did, he probably would've had huge regrets about missing out on that kind of once-in-a-lifetime experience...

...but, yeah, dream holidays are fine as long as they're used sparingly, maybe offered once every couple of months, rather than once a fortnight... and as long as they really are holidays you'd never be able to arrange down at the high street travel agent.

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:07 am    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Another interesting game - I really couldn't predict his decision when he got offered the New Orleans package, I had a feeling he was going to turn it down and chase the money like Man Utd Paul did and see it all crash. And as it happens, if he had gone to the end he would have ended up with £1,000 just like Paul!

I think these kind of offers are fine as long as they don't happen every week. There's never been anything that says all the offers have to be cash, and an offer specifically designed to meet a particular contestant's dream at the expense of the cash prize they were probably targeting produces one of the most difficult decisions in the game. And difficult decisions make it a great show, as opposed to easy deals or easy no-deals!

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:23 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

I think today’s game and its result can be grouped into three categories – the effect of entertainment, the effect on the show and the effect on the statistics.

From the former’s point of view, it was excellent as it provided something different that the show probably needs to prevent it from losing viewers by going stale… and the fact that Tom was offered a unique offer that was actually his actual dream was fantastic entertainment, undoubtedly.

From the effect on the show point of view – I really hope it doesn’t happen too often as it should be something that is done once every month at the very most… yet it’s happened twice in two weeks… in fact, when Brenda got a special gold offer caption I was worried as I knew if they’ve created a new graphic especially for such non-monetary offers, they may be becoming a regular thing… :lol:

From the effect on the stats – such offers are terrible as it means you can’t work out how much that trip cost and therefore what Tom dealt at, so it disrupts weekly and monthly totals.

For me, the show is a mixture of the above three factors – a great show is one where it is entertaining, perhaps with a new (but not too silly or gimmicky) twist… and as for the statistics, yes, I do like them to a large extent, but I understand that this is primarily an entertainment show… or an “entertainment drama” as Noel calls it, so the statistics won’t always be able to be accurate when we get non-monetary offers.

Overall, I’m really glad Tom dealt when he did as it was clearly his dream… however, I thought Noel was slipping back into his Wakey ways of March 2007 when he started saying it was a disaster when the 10p went in the first box of the first proveout round! :shock: :? Noel’s Wakeyness probably encouraged the banker to inflate the fifth offer to £20,000, which I thought was too high – he probably would’ve offered 10% of the highest remaining value as he so often does and offered £10,000.

People say they didn’t like the final offer – I didn’t mind that to be honest, as whilst a postcard is clearly worth less than £1,000, it did provide a humorous twist to the end of the game and provided an alternative to the comedy offers we’ve been having of late – and it didn’t have an effect on anything as it was post-deal and in a rather boring position of two low, consecutive reds where the offer would’ve been a rather dull £2,000.

As I said, well done Tom on winning your actual dream… but I hope these non-monetary offers don’t happen too often as whilst I like to see the show evolve, I don’t want to see it becoming too much like the USA version, and essentially becoming a showroom for new cars!! :shock:

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:33 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

The next step for us to adapt to the ways of the US version is to start getting phonecalls from celebrities wishing players good luck. (e.g. That woman that was obsessed with Hanson and they actually PERFORMED live on the show!!!)

God forbid it doesn't happen over here!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

SrWilson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:08 pm    Author: SrWilson    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Or WWE wrestlers in the audience LOL

Proud founder of WILSONISM = the real way to play and the term SOS for the show!

basicasic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:13 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Bearing in mind the show is aimed at entertaining the general public and not nerdy enthusiast like ourselves its unlikely that Endemol are that bothered about upsetting the statistics.

Tom's dream deal did have entertainment value and if truth be known rescued an otherwise dull game and made it memorable. Used sparingly and done properly I think the 'dream offers' will add to the entertainment value of the show.

In my heart I just know they are going to milk this for all its worth and eventually degenerate the 'dream offers' to cars and holiday etc.

Oh well. Sigh .......

Lucky me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:10 pm    Author: Lucky me    Post subject:

:D OMG :( Wish I'd had all those extras tagged on to my New York trip but it is the Dream Factory and those are contestants' dreams. I would certainly have dealt, sorry stats guys :D

alex1333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:14 pm    Author: alex1333    Post subject:

i dunno about this game but i just HATED it so much

1) the dream offer was a clear cut deal for him so there was no decision and it was flat and untense

2) the next offer was inflated (not the worst thing)

3) the final offer was deflated and its as bad as an overinflated offer

Bring back the tough decisions and real money offers not these b*llocks gimmicks which get people to instantly deal, it puts viewers off, well it certainly put me off

redrum666

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:17 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

alex1333 wrote:

1) the dream offer was a clear cut deal for him so there was no decision and it was flat and untense

Bring back the tough decisions and real money offers not these b*llocks gimmicks

Wakey up and smell the roses. He was seriously contemplating a no deal at the 8-box stage so it was in no way a clear cut deal. And, the 2nd point is the worst thing by a country mile.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:18 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject:

Hey, that was an interesting game. These kinds of sports fan dream packages are always being offered on US DoND, especially when the contestant is a huge sports fan, like Tom was. The only diffrence between this dream package offer and the ones offered on the US version are the fact that on the US version, the contestant is always given the value of the offer, even if it's not an all-cash offer. However, the US dream packages almost always contain some cash. Recently, a big NFL football fan was a contestant on US DoND, and the dream package that he was offered also contained $50,000 in cash. However, for some strange reason, on the US version, these kinds of offers are rarely ever accepted. I wonder why your Banker didn't throw in some cash here as well. Anyway, since the value of this offer was not given - I assume it's in the neighborhood of £10,000 - £15,000 - how can we classify this game (TPW, OBW, etc.)? Regardless, Tom's game was evidence that the UK DoND set really is the Dream Factory that it claims to be. Well played, Tom, and enjoy the dream package. I wonder, since this Tom had Box 22, do you think he could be a relative of our very own Tom22 :lol: ? However, I should add that some of the regular posters around here are right - both DoND UK and US should try to avoid these kinds of gimmicky offers. As h2005 said, the show shouldn't become a showcase for new cars or things like that. Leave the giving away of trips and cars to The Price is Right, which gives away that kind of stuff every day.

Last edited by Dr. Hindsight on Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

alex1333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:20 pm    Author: alex1333    Post subject:

not really redrum though if u look at it percentage wise wasnt the underinflated offer the worse?

suszie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:29 pm    Author: suszie    Post subject:

I see noel never mentioned that rob had the £75,000 and he was standing next to lee, so all the big three was all next to each other.

MissK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:38 pm    Author: MissK    Post subject:

alex1333 wrote:

Bring back the tough decisions and real money offers not these b*llocks gimmicks which get people to instantly deal, it puts viewers off, well it certainly put me off

Firstly, hi all – this is my first post!

I understand that it may have looked as though the dream offer was a clear-cut deal for Tom, but having been there during the show, it wasn't a clear-cut decision at all. A lot of it was edited out, but it did actually take quite a while for the decision to be made.

For Tom it was definitely the right decision though!

James1978

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:50 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

What game result was that? I reckon it was either a TBW or TPW but who knows? To Tom it could have been worth more than the highest offer, 20k, and the others it could have been less than the box value! :)

But that was pretty interesting - I think the only thing that could have offered me was something to do with golf that's really extreme, like a round at Augusta National or something, which I don't think they could ever pull off! I doubt I'd deal anything which could be bought, certainly if there were big numbers left on the board.

I don't like early high offers like that 15k - the mean was only just over 20k, but maybe they're doing it so people chase their losses if they have a couple of bad rounds, rather than expecting anyone to deal them - but it's certainly preferable to insulting offers like a couple of weeks ago.

And the proveout postcard was certainly funny - maybe they thought an offer would be pretty irrelevant on a 1k/3k last pair, but then again Bianca dealt 2k!

Well done Tom! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]