Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:27 pm Last visit was: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:27 pm

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:28 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
h2005 wrote:
Banker's offer - he would have gone on the trip himself and sent Tom a postcard.

Thats not worth atleast £1,000. The banker is asked to offer what he would have.

redrum666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:31 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I really liked that game right up until the proveout round. The offer was clever, different (even though it was a clear rip-off of the US version) and I was delighted that Tom dealt.

Then we got two blatant lies during proveout. £20,000 was seriously inflated and a postcard costs 99p so basically the banker would've offered 99p on a £1,000/£3,000 finish. Yes, OK, I believe you. :suspect:

But, congratulations Tom, your dream meant nothing to me but had I gone for a dream and been offered it the way you were I would too have taken it. As the banker said, money can't buy some of the things that Tom is about to experience.

Congratulations!

Profile E-mail  

croftrock

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:32 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

That was brilliant. What would otherwise have been a very mundane game was made tense, exciting and original. Also, the postcard joke was hilarious.

I genuinely, and I do mean genuinely, don't understand the criticsms here.

What's "weird" or "ridiculous"? I really felt for the guy in a way I never would have done otherwise. Genuinely gripping. It's entertainment and that was bloody good!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:34 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

I really enjoyed that apart from the last offer!

croftrock

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:37 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

cookie_monster wrote:

You have got to be kidding!! That was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud at the telly.

redrum666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:39 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

croftrock wrote:
cookie_monster wrote:

You have got to be kidding!! That was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud at the telly.

It's not meant to be funny. The banker is meant to tell the truth and be honest and he didn't do that. Granted, had he said £1,800 and a postcard then it would've been fine but he didn't and therefore he lied.

Profile E-mail  

KP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:39 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

I'm sure the real offer would have been £2,000 but it was a great joke!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

travis P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:40 pm    Author: travis P    Post subject:

and incase nobody watched it. On In It to Win It, one person scooped the entire prize fund with the grand total of £50,000.

redrum666

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:42 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

travis P wrote:
and incase nobody watched it. On In It to Win It, one person scooped the entire prize fund with the grand total of £50,000.

What does this have to do with Today's show? :?

Profile E-mail  

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:45 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Welldone Tom, hope you enjoy that New Orleans Dream! :D

“Tell me," Wittgenstein's asked a friend, "why do people always say, it was natural for man to assume that the sun went round the earth rather than that the earth was rotating?" His friend replied, "Well, obviously because it just looks as though the Sun is going round the Earth."
Wittgenstein replied, "Well, what would it have looked like if it had looked as though the Earth was rotating?”
― Ludwig Wittgenstein

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:47 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

I think what made this game look so good was the fact as so many people's games blew up in the battle of the sexes.

Anyone get me??

:eyes:

Billy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:00 pm    Author: Billy    Post subject:

WOW! What a game for the final one I'll ever see aged 18!

I really couldn't get into it at the start for some reason, parts 1 and 2 just casually played and he just seemed to be having one of those horrible 'slow trainwreck' games where all the big numbers gradually go, leaving us with the millionth £100k-and-nothing board.

Then part 3 began. When that offer came up I've never wanted to scream "DEAL!!! DEAL!!!!! DEAL!!!!!!!!" at the TV more than any other offer *ever*, even the six-figure ones! I was terrified when Tom hinted that he wanted to go on, but I am so so glad he took that, what an incredible Deal! And then The Banker hinting that the whole thing was a sham...my reaction was exactly like Ed's except without the bald head. Thank god he was joking!

Absolute scorcher of a game, not sure it quite gets Show of the Month status but it's definitely up there! Well done on your New Orleans Dream, Tom, possibly the biggest Banker victory ever as no one's ever taken a deal which money can't buy before!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Fantastic offer - picture it for a second, if you had always wanted to go to Australia, if you had a strong board at 8-box and got offered a trip to Australia, you'd be silly to turn it down.

Same with Tom's dream. Good on him!

EDIT: Wonder what the stats can do with this win lol!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Profile E-mail  

22identicalboxes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:35 pm    Author: 22identicalboxes    Post subject:

Well, that was rather unsual. Tom was obviously going to take the fourth offer, you can't buy that sort of dream.

The proveout was a bit silly, though, he'd never have been offered £20k at five-box.

StuartPlymouth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:17 pm    Author: StuartPlymouth    Post subject:

I think that was a great game. It makes it abit different when the Banker uses his knowledge of the contestants to create an individual special offer. It doesn't happen very often so it's a nice change.

Tom did get his dream after all! :-D

Profile E-mail  

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:23 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Hmmm I missed this game but from what I've read about it, it reminds me of Paul B's game. I'm not usually a fan of these 'gimmicks' although Brenda's wasn't too bad.

Is this the full 2nd non monetary offer that has been dealt? :?

Not sure about the 5th offer. probably would have been bouncing around 15-18K.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:36 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

SrWilson wrote:
WHAT A MUPPET.

why dont we just change all the money for holidays.

i can see where you're coming from actually, it sort of gives a funny feeling to the game. I always thought the game was weighing up risk and reward with dreams with real money.

This offer was rather mind boggling.

basicasic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:55 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Well a pretty ordinary game up until the dream offer. I have to admit I'd be more likely to deal a dream offer like this, which contains elements that cannot be valued than a straight cash one.

It added an unusual twist and created a genuine dilemma which we could see him agonizing over. Its hard to be objective in situations like this. A trip to a MotoGP as a guest of the Yamaha team for a weekend would probably get me to deal even with the £100k still up on the board. So I'm not going to criticize him for dealing.

He'd probably have regretted it if he'd had the 100k in his box as I would but a dream is a dream and no amount of money would buy him a trip like that.

So good on ya mate. Have a great time in New Orleans (Weston-Super-Mare) lol.

KP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:03 am    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Don't forget Paul turned down a 'sporting dream' offer a while back!!

As I said, I cannot possibly judge this (apart from saying I'd have taken the very generous second offer so wouldn't have got here anyway) but I severely hope he has a wonderful time in New Orleans.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:07 am    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

he would have had the same outcome as Paul if he'd gone all the way LOL.

[ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]