Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:53 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
james-birmingham wrote:
cheers cookie :D yer all i wanted was to help out my mom and sisters but i guess wasnt my day but hey family fortunes always needs contestants ;)

Shame they only seem to be doing *beep*ed up celebrity versions now :(

But yeah, horrific luck, any time a contestant doesn't get one meaningful decision all game it's pretty damning, and that was the case today. :(

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

croftrock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:59 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

KP wrote:
Certainly was a game where he never had a chance, especially with those offers - even Beryl might have won a blue today, and that's an absolutely damning indictment of how the Banker played it.

How can it be an indictment? What offence has he committed? He's supposed to try and play the odds to beat the player. Those offers were perfect.

James was just unlucky. The game is random, honest and fair. It's been investigated independently over the summer and it's been proven that they don't know where the money is. There can't be any criticism of the game's fairness anymore.

Honestly, that game was really moving. I come on to share some emotion and instead there's childish cynicism.

James it just wasn't your day but you really made me care about you and in fact you made me cry!!! Good luck in the future for you and the family.

basicasic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:15 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

What a heartbreaker of a game. The sort of game that plays you rather than you play it.

James just never had a chance. The only offer that he realistically could have considered was the £2k at 5 box and I thought at worst he would take out one of the remaining reds. But sometimes when your luck is out - its right out.

The banker's offers were no more stingy that they have been of late and lets face it there was little scope for generosity with a board like that.

I just hope that James didn't really 'need' the money as it's really an invitation for disaster going on a game show (especially one based on pure luck) hoping for a big win.

Good luck for the future James.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:33 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

alexandercbrown wrote:
Ouch well ottis a year ago did knock out the power 5 in 5 boxes actually but this is pretty bad.

he did....and it's a year since his game tomorrow! [also a year since Steve Irwin died tomorrow aswell, but swiftly moving on....]

Early september just isnt the time you want your game to be, so sorry james but cheer up, £100 is better than £50 or £62.50!

As Noel rightly said, one of the unluckiest games in history. Ah well, welldone james on £100!

Power5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

It was one of the unluckiest games ever, but I do wish the Banker would at least give contestants a get-out opportunity on games like this. Admittedly it might not have worked for James as he was always after a five-figure sum. But the third and fourth offers were total joke offers, and the £2,000 which was the only vaguely sensible one wouldn't have got many people to deal.

Of course there's no need to offer close to the mean on volatile boards with big money in play, because most people will deal for a lot less. But on poor boards where many people will go to the end regardless, the Banker could do that to at least make it testing and offer a reasonable get-out. On that final five he could reasonably have offered at least twice what he did.

basicasic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:51 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Power5 wrote:
It was one of the unluckiest games ever, but I do wish the Banker would at least give contestants a get-out opportunity on games like this. Admittedly it might not have worked for James as he was always after a five-figure sum. But the third and fourth offers were total joke offers, and the £2,000 which was the only vaguely sensible one wouldn't have got many people to deal.

Of course there's no need to offer close to the mean on volatile boards with big money in play, because most people will deal for a lot less. But on poor boards where many people will go to the end regardless, the Banker could do that to at least make it testing and offer a reasonable get-out. On that final five he could reasonably have offered at least twice what he did.

This is one area that I agree with you completely. I've already said that I thought that the banker wasn't being any meaner than usual but in games like this, where the payout is never going to be huge, what harm would it cause to offer a get-out where the contestant can at least leave with some money, dignity and self-respect.

Having said that I'd be annoyed if an inflated offer got him to deal and the £15k was in his box. :?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:52 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Yes Red, I know the games are completely random but it is recently all the characters that are having the poorest games - this surely has to stop tomorrow!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

rico7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:53 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject:

Well played James, the boxes just didn't work out for you.

22identicalboxes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:04 pm    Author: 22identicalboxes    Post subject:

That was just relentless bad luck. I can't remember anyone ever taking out the top six in the first ten boxes before.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:09 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:18 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
Power5 wrote:

This is one area that I agree with you completely. I've already said that I thought that the banker wasn't being any meaner than usual but in games like this, where the payout is never going to be huge, what harm would it cause to offer a get-out where the contestant can at least leave with some money, dignity and self-respect.

Having said that I'd be annoyed if an inflated offer got him to deal and the £15k was in his box. :?

It's a two sided coin, isn't it? Rhona and Carol would never have won the 15K in their box if it wasn't for cr*p offers.
That said they might have been turned down anyway today. I thought it was more ridiculous in Claire's game where she was given no get out whatsoever.
He might not have dealt 3/4K anyway.

redrum666

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:43 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Big-Davey wrote:
Yes Red, I know the games are completely random but it is recently all the characters that are having the poorest games - this surely has to stop tomorrow!

I was replying to Rockjack's comment as he/she/undecided/both seems to think it's all a big fix.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:47 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

........................................)

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

croftrock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:13 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

alexandercbrown wrote:
basicasic wrote:
Power5 wrote:

It's a two sided coin, isn't it? Rhona and Carol would never have won the 15K in their box if it wasn't for cr*p offers.
That said they might have been turned down anyway today. I thought it was more ridiculous in Claire's game where she was given no get out whatsoever.
He might not have dealt 3/4K anyway.

These views are, critically, all retrospect dependent. Without knowledge of where the money is in live play, as an entertainment show they have to offer no money on one box board. They have to do the best they can to provide entertainment for those games. I do not agree that there must be a get out. They look after everyone like kings and they know they can't all win big.

How exciting would "Titanic" be if lifeboats showed up for evryone twenty minute before the end? In a one box game they should expect forcing offers. It's a last minute rescue or you drown. That's entertainment.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:15 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

That was a horrible game.

Poor James..deserved a lot more than that as he was a really nice guy.

Plus he shouldnt have had been picked so early due to this rubbish battle of the sexes thing..

Deal or No Deal sucks sometimes..

croftrock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:17 pm    Author: croftrock    Post subject:

redrum666 wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:

I was replying to Rockjack's comment as he/she/undecided/both seems to think it's all a big fix.

The Channel 4 audit that went on public display in April after the Phone problem in February that stated that Deal had been audited by two seperate companies and both found that the productiion had no knowledge of ANY of the box contents (including the viewers boxes). So it's not a big fix. It's not a fix of any size in fact.

james-birmingham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:31 pm    Author: james-birmingham    Post subject:

croftrock wrote:
KP wrote:
Certainly was a game where he never had a chance, especially with those offers - even Beryl might have won a blue today, and that's an absolutely damning indictment of how the Banker played it.

How can it be an indictment? What offence has he committed? He's supposed to try and play the odds to beat the player. Those offers were perfect.

James was just unlucky. The game is random, honest and fair. It's been investigated independently over the summer and it's been proven that they don't know where the money is. There can't be any criticism of the game's fairness anymore.

Honestly, that game was really moving. I come on to share some emotion and instead there's childish cynicism.

James it just wasn't your day but you really made me care about you and in fact you made me cry!!! Good luck in the future for you and the family.

thanks croftrock and yer wasnt meant to be on that day. and i thank you for ur comment and so does my mom and jamie who are now fine as we all are :)

james-birmingham

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:39 pm    Author: james-birmingham    Post subject:

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR TOUCHING WORDS MEAN ALOT TO ME !

I WONT LINGER ON IT WAS BAD LUCK AND NOTHING MORE I REALLY DID MAKE THE BANKER HAPPY DIDNT I, BUT IVE GOT MY FINGERS CROSSED FOR EVERY SINGLE PLAYER ON THE SHOW AND WILL BE PRAYING THEY DONT HAVE SUCH BAD LUCK AS I DID !

THANKS AGAIN EVERY1 AND IM HOPING THIS ISNT THE LAST UVE SEEN OF JAMESY ON THE TV 8)

hammondstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:48 pm    Author: hammondstar    Post subject:

redrum666 wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:

Well, at least someone other than me has a bit of sense 8)

Bad luck Jamesy, at least you have your good looks to fall back on. See, it's not all bad ;)

Marie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 pm    Author: Marie    Post subject:

james-birmingham wrote:
hi guys thanx for all the nice things u said im here waiting for hugz off you all ;) i was sooo unlucky and yer heartbroken but at least now my sis has a bed lol and im working on a bathroom for my mom :D

love 2 u all

xx

james

It does suck the good ppl never win huge... but at least ur sister has a bed :D xo shame i didnt know b4 hand i have a bed i dont use lol and u live pretty close :P hahaha

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]