Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:34 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

james_bwfc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 am    Author: james_bwfc    Post subject:
Account Suspended

Warnings: 0
Vicky Walsh wrote:
yes, dond is not a cash machine and should not be treated as a source of income, simple as that. i think any decision a person makes is obviously right for them, and that is all that matters.

It would be wonderful if people knew what was in the boxes and trip along happily knowing they would have 100k in their box, but we don't! so its all about risk. 10k was enough for stevie, simple.

I took the risk and lost, big time! lol, others will take it and win HUGE sums of money, some will take the consolation prize. That is what makes it a beautiful game.

Opinions and debate are fantastic, but i find it a useful life tip not to judge people when you don't know them, perhaps just sticking to debating the game as opposed to the person.

That is true however it seems the vast majority of the players on DOND 'take the consolation prize' as it were. No, infact I think most people on DOND don't even get to the point of consolation they just take the money before they think 'anything bad will happen' when in most cases, they haven't analysed the board correctly and end up losing thousands towards the box, if not tens of thousands or in some cases hundreds of thousands!

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:12 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

james_bwfc wrote:
Vicky Walsh wrote:
yes, dond is not a cash machine and should not be treated as a source of income, simple as that. i think any decision a person makes is obviously right for them, and that is all that matters.

It would be wonderful if people knew what was in the boxes and trip along happily knowing they would have 100k in their box, but we don't! so its all about risk. 10k was enough for stevie, simple.

I took the risk and lost, big time! lol, others will take it and win HUGE sums of money, some will take the consolation prize. That is what makes it a beautiful game.

Opinions and debate are fantastic, but i find it a useful life tip not to judge people when you don't know them, perhaps just sticking to debating the game as opposed to the person.

That is true however it seems the vast majority of the players on DOND 'take the consolation prize' as it were. No, infact I think most people on DOND don't even get to the point of consolation they just take the money before they think 'anything bad will happen' when in most cases, they haven't analysed the board correctly and end up losing thousands towards the box, if not tens of thousands or in some cases hundreds of thousands!

Maybe they have analysed the board correctly for them and dealt when they want to?

Anyway, I'll let Lance have the last word on this.

Lance wrote:
Anyone who doesn't respect money is a bit of a clot, quite frankly.

Thank you for that, Lance... and happy Lance Day - it's a year to the day now since good old Lance won £87,000 to take home to the old side car... :lol:

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:44 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basicasic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:59 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Vicky Walsh wrote:
I took the risk and lost, big time! lol

But you didn't lose big time. You still went home with more than you came with. You lost a potential amount of money which is disappointing but you took it in the right spirit. We've seen some undignified histrionics from folk who have won less than they expected (some of whom still went away with a decent amount) and it's not nice to watch.

But overall nobody risks a bean of their own money. Everybody goes home with more than they came even if it is only 1p.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:04 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
Vicky Walsh wrote:
I took the risk and lost, big time! lol

But you didn't lose big time. You still went home with more than you came with. You lost a potential amount of money which is disappointing but you took it in the right spirit. We've seen some undignified histrionics from folk who have won less than they expected (some of whom still went away with a decent amount) and it's not nice to watch.

But overall nobody risks a bean of their own money. Everybody goes home with more than they came even if it is only 1p.

Vicky didn't do anything wrong because she didn't know the banker would only offer 10K at 8 box and that was worth turning down but sometimes you give the impression you'd rather see someone no deal 10-15K and win a blue than deal at 10-15K and a lot people would rather take a modest amount there happy with than go against the odds a lot of the time and win a blue.

I can see where you're coming from though a lot of people don't think like you but obviously i respect your opinion and you put across some very interesting thought provoking posts on this forum.

You expect people to gamble sometimes whatever the board and be happy with the outcome whatever it is but most of us don't think like that.
You obviously don't get any pleasure from people sometimes dealing at a modest sum of money that they're happy with.

(although sometimes people don't know about odds and don't make the most of good boards so I'll give you that but not always).

basicasic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:06 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

alexandercbrown wrote:
Vicky didn't do anything wrong because she didn't know the banker would only offer 10K at 8 box and that was worth turning down

I agree. I wrote at the time 'I couldn't really fault the way Vicky played it.'

alexandercbrown wrote:
but sometimes you give the impression you'd rather see someone no deal 10-15K and win a blue than deal at 10-15K and a lot people would rather take a modest amount there happy with than go against the odds a lot of the time and win a blue.

I don't wish anyone to win a blue. I would rather see them deal than get a blue. But it is a gambling show for potential big money and I do like to see people take at least a moderate risk sometimes. What I will say is it is an honourable thing and nothing to be ashamed of to have taken a risk and ended up with a blue.

alexandercbrown wrote:
You expect people to gamble sometimes whatever the board and be happy with the outcome whatever it is but most of us don't think like that.

I expect people to gamble if they've got a good board. I respect a deal if the board is dodgy. I generally respect a gamble followed by a deal (even if the board is still strong) because at least they had a go.

alexandercbrown wrote:
You obviously don't get any pleasure from people sometimes dealing at a modest sum of money that they're happy with.

It all depends on the circumstances. I enjoy contestants winning even modest amounts of money but can anyone hand on heart say they weren't at least a little bit disappointed with Stevie's deal?

alexandercbrown wrote:
(although sometimes people don't know about odds and don't make the most of good boards so I'll give you that
but not always).

For sure.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:08 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amidala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:25 pm    Author: Amidala    Post subject:

Well done Stevie, the 10k obviously meant alot to you.

Vicky Walsh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:36 pm    Author: Vicky Walsh    Post subject:

my personal approach to the game was, i'd rather die trying than not. i couldn't bear the thought of dealing and having 250k in my box, but i could bear losing 10k. It is nobody's right to walk away with a fat load of cash, and therefore i find it somewhat distasteful if people get really distressed when they do walk away with a blue amount.

My point is only, that everybody makes their own decisions that suit them, and it would be a boring game if EVERYBODY took the same gun-ho approach as me.

i totally understand your perspectives as i was the same when watching the game, but it does alter a lot once u become a player, so my opinion is bound to differ slightly from some others.

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:14 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

Last edited by alexandercbrown on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:23 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

Welldone Stevie, enjoy £10,000! :D

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:34 pm    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

Vicky Walsh wrote:
my personal approach to the game was, i'd rather die trying than not. i couldn't bear the thought of dealing and having 250k in my box, but i could bear losing 10k. It is nobody's right to walk away with a fat load of cash, and therefore i find it somewhat distasteful if people get really distressed when they do walk away with a blue amount.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I completly agree with you.

hammondstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:22 pm    Author: hammondstar    Post subject:

Rich D wrote:
:-) :-) :-)

Great input, Rich.

Rich D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:16 am    Author: Rich D    Post subject:

hammondstar wrote:
Rich D wrote:
:-) :-) :-)

Great input, Rich.

Er, thanks - I think?

In case it wasn't clear, the :-) :-) :-) was in response to Vicky's lovely comment about my previous post...

...and also how we seemed to be thinking on the same wavelength, as usually happens when Pisces & Scorpio put their heads together! :smt052

Last edited by Rich D on Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:19 am    Author: Rich D    Post subject:

BTW - I chose :-) cos it was the closest I could get to an aww-shucks smiley. Is that what it's supposed to represent?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:55 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject:

Rich, I think I might have to start watching you with a careful eye ;) just kidding.

I think my opinion has been shared many times- that chair changes people - one of the most illustrious examples being Adam who would always tell others to Deal and yet he never did in his own game.

It happens so often...

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

james_bwfc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:36 am    Author: james_bwfc    Post subject:
Account Suspended

Big-Davey wrote:
Rich, I think I might have to start watching you with a careful eye ;) just kidding.

I think my opinion has been shared many times- that chair changes people - one of the most illustrious examples being Adam who would always tell others to Deal and yet he never did in his own game.

It happens so often...

I think he just wanted the banker to think he was a dealer and subsequently have much lower offers in his game which actually makes it easier to go to the end. If that's what Adam wanted!

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:48 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

james_bwfc wrote:
Big-Davey wrote:

It happens so often...

I think he just wanted the banker to think he was a dealer and subsequently have much lower offers in his game which actually makes it easier to go to the end. If that's what Adam wanted!

i don't think that's what Adam wanted. He probably was a gambler but was worried because he didn't want other contestants to risk winning blues.
I don't think Adam ever said so much if it was me I would deal rather do what's best for you.
Stevie was a genuine dealer.

Suezan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:32 pm    Author: Suezan    Post subject:

Interview with stevie now added on my site under contestant interviews 3

[ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]