Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 am Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Power5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:23 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

Warnings: 0
Well, that was just one of the unluckiest games we've ever seen - Noel certainly got that one right.

If you ignore the first two offers as probably nobody will ever deal them, that game had a peak value of £900, which is surely the lowest ever?

alexandercbrown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:25 pm    Author: alexandercbrown    Post subject:

KP wrote:
This is looking like one of those games where the contestant can reasonably claim she never got a chance to play...

...my god. Even Beryl would have won a blue today.

yeah, I don't know what the point of offering stupidly low offers is.
What are the banker/producers playing at?!

If Claire had been offered 6/7K at 11 box , 2.5K at 8 box, and 1.5K at 5 box she at least would have had decisions to make and would have made for better viewing. Madness. She wasn't even given a chance. ( Ok she would have proabbly turned them down but still., you never know she might have bailed out at 5 box if it was about double)

This is the third game this week I've been *beeped* off at due to the stupid banker.

redrum666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:27 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

I DESPISE DEAL OR NO DEAL!

That was horrid. Plain horrid. Not only did Vicky crash and burn yesterday but today Claire from the pool walks home with £100 after some of the most derisory offers from the banker I have ever seen. Talk about mean!

Now, both Clare's/Claire's, both from my neck of the woods, have had awful games that put me in a really bad mood.

This had better pick up on Sunday and Norman in particular had better do really well to lift the spirits of the Merseyside players!

james_bwfc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:32 pm    Author: james_bwfc    Post subject:
Account Suspended

alexandercbrown wrote:
KP wrote:
This is looking like one of those games where the contestant can reasonably claim she never got a chance to play...

...my god. Even Beryl would have won a blue today.

yeah, I don't know what the point of offering stupidly low offers is.
What are the banker/producers playing at?!

If Claire had been offered 6/7K at 11 box , 2.5K at 8 box, and 1.5K at 5 box she at least would have had decisions to make and would have made for better viewing. Madness. She wasn't even given a chance. ( Ok she would have proabbly turned them down but still., you never know she might have bailed out at 5 box if it was about double)

This is the third game this week I've been *beeped* off at due to the stupid banker.

It is to make games more exciting and tense when there is a red in the box - this I have absolutely no objection to. However if the game is already falling apart there is no need to continually offer low amounts of money. This does show however that the producers do not know what is in the box (yes KP). If they knew £100 was in Claires box they wouldn't have pushed her onto the end to win it. As for your second statement alexander, you would be suprised how low the offers need to be to take someone out of the chair (Look at Kathleen or Kelsie for example)

Another day with the same offers Claire would have won a fortune and everyone would be saying how the banker was punished for his low offers. I tend to think the banker is punished more when he sells a low value box for far to much - stupidly high offers. You would think he 'learns' but when a player gets in the chair he is afriad of big offers will inveitably follow.

I don't think Claire's offers were at all personal in this way it was because the game was falling apart from the off. This is just unlucky for the player as they have no point to deal at and it's not like the bankers offers needed 'improved' a lot because Claire's targets looked to be relatively high.

Bad luck Claire.

basicasic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:25 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

james_bwfc wrote:
It is to make games more exciting and tense when there is a red in the box

Which is a good thing in my opinion. He should do it more often.

james_bwfc wrote:
However if the game is already falling apart there is no need to continually offer low amounts of money.

But it does give him an opportunity to appear very mean and intimidate and unnerve the other contestants in the wings with very little actual financial cost to the current player. Lets face it even if he had been feeling generous today the offers wouldn't have been much higher because the board was too bad and Claire probably would still have been forced on.

james_bwfc wrote:
As for your second statement alexander, you would be suprised how low the offers need to be to take someone out of the chair (Look at Kathleen or Kelsie for example)

It never ceases to amaze me that people will abandon a decent board for lousy offers once their self imposed target is hit.

james_bwfc wrote:
I don't think Claire's offers were at all personal in this way it was because the game was falling apart from the off. This is just unlucky for the player as they have no point to deal at and it's not like the bankers offers needed 'improved' a lot because Claire's targets looked to be relatively high.

Spot on.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:42 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

While it didn't really matter what the offers were, Claire was clearly treated with contempt - and it does make for horrendous television in my opinion!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

redrum666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:47 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Just to clarify-

I DESPISE DEAL OR NO DEAL

I actually think that the offers to Claire were personal today. £750 at 5-box was absolutely atrocious. She did well to stay calm and not try to kill Noel (even though he's only the messenger). The banker clearly thought "early player, treat her with no respect".

Also, what Noel said at the end of today's show doesn't sound promising. I hope it isn't what I think it is going to be.

CrazyChair

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:03 am    Author: CrazyChair    Post subject:

basicasic wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me that people will abandon a decent board for lousy offers once their self imposed target is hit.

I agree. That's why I'd never go with a target in mind. I'd play the board and hope for the best.

Quote:
The banker clearly thought "early player, treat her with no respect".

I don't think that's the case. With the exception of the 3rd and 4th offers, she was treated fairly well, I thought. She was just incredibly unlucky. Why was she picked so early? I don't understand why some people can be there for 30+ shows and others are only there for 12 or 13.

redrum666

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:05 am    Author: redrum666    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

Yes, the 5th offer was really generous wasn't it?

£750 with £20,000 still in play!! Absolute Farce!

james_bwfc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:15 am    Author: james_bwfc    Post subject:
Account Suspended

CrazyChair wrote:
I don't think that's the case. With the exception of the 3rd and 4th offers, she was treated fairly well, I thought. She was just incredibly unlucky. Why was she picked so early? I don't understand why some people can be there for 30+ shows and others are only there for 12 or 13.

I think it gives the viewer the impression the player selection is 'random' to an extent.

basicasic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:27 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

KP wrote:
While it didn't really matter what the offers were, Claire was clearly treated with contempt - and it does make for horrendous television in my opinion!

I don't know why you bother to watch. You're never satisfied and always complaining.

KP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:32 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

Actually, I don't bother to watch anymore, I just follow these threads :)

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

james_bwfc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:34 am    Author: james_bwfc    Post subject:
Account Suspended

KP wrote:
Actually, I don't bother to watch anymore, I just follow these threads :)

Is it because you don't bother to watch anymore or you don't want to watch anymore?

KP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:36 am    Author: KP    Post subject:

The latter. I find it more interesting to view these threads as they focus on the game rather than a distracting 'show'.

I was merely using basicasic's vocabulary choice for clarity. And didn't get far...

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:11 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

I liked Claire from her time on the wings, so not sure why she played so early. The game was horrible – such bad luck as it never really got going, and the offers were also very low as well – even low for the already poor board! Well done to her for taking it well… it’s a shame she didn’t get the higher of the two values at the end, though! :(

basicasic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:20 am    Author: basicasic    Post subject:
Permanently Banned

redrum666 wrote:
I actually think that the offers to Claire were personal today. £750 at 5-box was absolutely atrocious.

I don't think they were. Why would they be personal? Its not as if he personally knows any of them.

Some of the offers today were poor no doubt. But even if he had been in a generous mood today he couldn't have offered that much more. Enough to warrant a deal ? Who know.

james_bwfc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:28 am    Author: james_bwfc    Post subject:
Account Suspended

KP wrote:
The latter. I find it more interesting to view these threads as they focus on the game rather than a distracting 'show'.

I was merely using basicasic's vocabulary choice for clarity. And didn't get far...

Understandably.

If the host is a bugging issue why not put the telly on mute?

James1978

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:53 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

While I agree that even fair offers on the board she had from the 3rd round onwards were likely to be no-dealt, I'd have at least liked there to be some difficult decisions to make rather than being forced on regardless. The mean at 11-box was about 11k I think, so less than 10% of the mean is an utter insult. The mean at 8-box was about £4.5k, so 10% of the mean again. The 5th offer wasn't quite as bad, but still pretty awful, and gamble £114 to gain £536 at the end again doesn't present much of a decision. It felt like she was given an early show, make the decisions as easy as possible and get her out of the way, and she deserved a lot better than that. But I can't see how it was personal, as she'd been fairly quiet - I'd have understood if he'd done that to someone like John G! :)

I mean she had two jobs so obviously wasn't loaded, you never know, 3k or so at 8-box may have presented a dilemma, which for me is what the game's all about. Not just be forced to take the contents of your box, bad game or not.

Philomena had if anything, a worse game (5k was the higehst sum left at 8-box IIRC), but I thought all her offers were fair for the board, to the point where someone could have maybe decided to cut their losses, it would have been more than the box contents! Ken as well got very fair offers for the terrible board he had at every stage but the 1st round. I don't see how Claire should have been treated any worse than those two.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

suszie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Author: suszie    Post subject:

I know stevie was only joking, but he was right and she should have dealt at £900 if you think about it.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:47 pm    Author: Tom    Post subject:

Another horrible game! Poor Claire!

[ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal Show Commentaries & DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]