Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » USAAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

J.R.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:55 pm    Author: J.R.    Post subject: DoND USA: January 7, 2007 ***SPOILER WARNING!***

Warnings: 0
And here's how it went!

This is sort of an special episode of DoND, I'll explain why it is a little later! I can tell you now that Howie is promising a "special twist" at the end of tonight's game!

Now, for this special game, the rollover contestant from last Wednesday's show has been skipped over (Her game will continue on the next show) and we have this new contestant waiting to take on The Banker!

Contestant: Cathy Beck!

Fast facts: Cathy is a huge fan of the 1978 movie "Grease"! She claims to have seen it at least 300 times!

Chosen case: 10!

Round One: Six Cases:

8: $400,000

2: $10,000

3: $75,000

5: $5,000

11: $25

4: $1,000,000!!!

The Banker decides to be really cheeky with this opening offer. Seeing as Cathy loves "Grease", The Banker is willing to give her this special prize...

Grease, literally!

It's a huge vat of cooking grease!!! :-D

It's a prize worth a meager $300, but The Banker will also throw in $10,000 in cash, bringing the grand total to...

Banker's offer: $10,300!

Well, slightly insulted by this silly offer, Cathy will make this a very quick...

NO DEAL!

The show takes a break and when it returns, the Models have changed into 50s-style poodle skirt outfits, just like Sandy in "Grease"!

Round Two: Five Cases:

20: $5!

17: $50,000

22: $1,000

19: $300

23: $25,000

Banker's offer: $41,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Three: Four Cases:

13: $200,000

25: $50

6: $400

14: $500

Banker's offer: $65,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Four: Three Cases:

16: .01¢!!!

9: $500,000!

7: $300,000

Banker's offer: $38,000!

NO DEAL!

After the break, the models have changed costume again! Now they're wearing that black outfit Sandy wore at the end of "Grease"!

(There is a reason for all this "Grease" stuff! After DoND, NBC is premiering a reality show called "Grease: You're The One That I Want!" that's casting the role of "Danny" and "Sandy" for a Broadway production!)

Round Five: Two Cases:

24: $100,000

21: $750

I think it's safe to call this final six a "One Case Game"...

The Final Six:

- $1
- $10
- $75
- $100
- $200
- $750,000

Banker's offer: $73,000!

NO DEAL!

Round Six: One Case:

15: $1!!

Banker's offer: $99,000!

DEAL!

Cathy risked it all in a huge "One Case Game" and worked out brilliantly to the tune of $99,000 in cold hard cash! But she could possibly win much more in the "special twist" coming in just a few minutes, but first we must see if Cathy made a great deal in the "Proveout" portion of this amazing game!

Proveout: Case One:

12: $75

Banker's offer: $142,000!
Dealt at: $99,000!

Proveout: Case Two:

26: $200

Banker's offer: $215,000!

Proveout: Case Three:

18: $100

Oh no, if Cathy had the courage to go all the way to the end, she would of avoided the landmine and would now be facing this massive offer (A figure that might upset some people...):

Banker's offer: $401,000!

Final Two: $10 or $750,000

Well, it's sad to say that Cathy did not make such a good deal after all. But, no matter what, Cathy will still take home a huge paycheck for $99,000 in real American Dollars. That is nothing to sneer at and it will change her life. However, you can clearly see huge disappointment on Cathy's face.

But, did Cathy actually sell a case that held $651,000 more than what she dealt at or did Cathy make a $98,990 profit on Case 10 after all?

Case 10 held...

10: $10

Whew! Cathy is massively relieved!

To prove it:

1: $750,000

Normally I'd go in my "Game Summary" bit, but the game is not over yet!

It's time for the "special twist" Howie has been telling us about all throughout the hour, that twist is...

DOUBLE OR NOTHING!

Yes, a feature some might recognize in the Australian version has come to the United States! Here's how this version will work:

Two large sized cases are brought out. If Cathy so desires, she may risk her $99,000 on one of those cases of her choice. One of them says "DOUBLE". The other says "NOTHING". If she finds "DOUBLE" she will turn her winnings into $198,000. If she were to open the case that says "NOTHING", Cathy will lose everything and depart from the game with no cash. It is a 100% risk, she cannot wager anything less than $99,000. Simple as that.

The offer is to play "Double or Nothing". Cathy decides to say...

NO DEAL!

Cathy decides not to take the risk. But, Howie lets Cathy pick a case anyway to see if she made the right decision.

Cathy would of chosen the case on the left and this is what would have happened to the $99,000 if Cathy had the courage to play.

LEFT: DOUBLE!

OUCH!!! Cathy would have won another $99,000 to go with what she dealt at in the main game. It was just too much to gamble. No worries, she still takes home the $99,000 deal! Not a bad sum of money at all! She's still happy!

To prove it:

RIGHT: NOTHING!

Game Summary:

Peak offer: $401,000
Case value: $10
Double or Nothing: Refused
Prize won: $99,000
Result: Technical Banker Win (76-24)

Quick reminder: Shannon Justice will return on Monday's game!

And there you have it!
-Joe R.

Last edited by J.R. on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:32 pm    Author: Hender    Post subject:

Not letting a contestant decide how much to gamble on double or nothing is a bit unfair i think..imagine if the contestant had won a million or close to it......risking it all to doulbe your money......wouldn't do it myself!!

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:46 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject:

Hey, aren't they supposed to let the player bet a portion of their winnings in the Double or Nothing game? That's how they do it in Australia. Also, JR, do you have any idea on whether or not they'll be keeping the Double or Nothing game, or was this just a one-shot kind of thing?

J.R.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:01 pm    Author: J.R.    Post subject:

Mark77 wrote:
Hey, aren't they supposed to let the player bet a portion of their winnings in the Double or Nothing game? That's how they do it in Australia.

Sadly, Howie never mentioned anything about wagering. He pretty much said to Cathy if she wanted to play and found "Double", she'd win the $198,000 only.

Mark77 wrote:
Also, JR, do you have any idea on whether or not they'll be keeping the Double or Nothing game, or was this just a one-shot kind of thing?

I'm not quite sure myself. None of the ads for tonight's show mentioned "Double or Nothing" so I largely suspect it was a one time thing.

Honestly, I found the American "Double or Nothing" be hugely disappointing. :(

-Joe R.

J.R.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:10 pm    Author: J.R.    Post subject:

Here are some pictures of the "Double" and "Nothing" cases!:

-Joe R.

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Brilliant shiny huge cases... awful execution.

I should have expected this from the US version. That is a shark jump moment right there.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » USAAll times are UTC [ DST ]