Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:40 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Le Banquier 04/10/15

Warnings: 0
With the Australian version of Deal or No Deal now officially off the air, and the British version nearing its supposed curtain call, one version of the international franchise stands alone - the handout-filled, sponsor-laden Quebec version known as Le Banquier. The show has been one of Quebec's highest-rated programs since it first premiered in 2007, and is now back for its 11th season.

We begin the new season's episode recaps with the second episode of the season. I've DVRed the premiere episode, but I have yet to watch it. Rest assured, dear readers, I will post a recap of it when I have a chance.

Fresh off of a summer filled with political fiascos and a high-profile marriage to media magnate-turned-politician Pierre Karl Peladeau, hostess / producer Julie Snyder returns to the stage, as blonde and bubbly as ever. She's accompanied by Martin Matte, our contestant for the evening. He's an actor and the star of a show that none of you have ever heard of called Les Beaux Malaises.

If you haven't already figured it out yet, this is a "special" episode of Le Banquier, as Martin will be playing for his personal charity, the Martin Matte Foundation, which provides support for victims of head traumas.

Our case models for this show are 26 actors who have appeared on or currently star in Les Beaux Malaises alongside Martin. After a great deal of fooling around, the audience is awoken, and Martin selects case 26. It is brought down by Jean Lapointe, who appears to be about 200 years old. For some reason, he takes out his false teeth and plunks them down on the Dollar Desk. And to make matters worse, Julie then starts to play with them. Yuck :smt078.

Just one more thing before I hit you with the digits - the sponsor prizes that appear in some of the cases have changed slightly for this season. Capital One is now Videotron Mobile (still awards a $10,000 bonus), and La Valise Maxi is now La Valise Sunwing (still awards a trip, which is now always worth $8,000). The Surprise remains unchanged.

Now that you're up to date, let's see what happened.

Round 1
[12] - $75
[4] - $300,000
[18] - $100,000
[20] - $0.01
[3] - $10
[19] - Sunwing / $1,000 - Martin is presented with a trip to Cuba, and says he'll most likely give that away to one of his foundation's beneficiaries.

After a whopping 33 minutes, including a commercial break after the fourth case was opened, we get the first offer.

BANKER'S OFFER

$49,000

Martin says REFUSÉE.

Round 2
[17] - $5
[23] - $125,000
[2] - $400,000
[10] - $50
[15] - Videotron Mobile - Ten grand in the hand for Martin no matter how this game plays out.

BANKER'S OFFER

$54,000

Martin says REFUSÉE.

Round 3
[11] - $5,000
[5] - $500,000 - Don't worry about that, folks. This is Le Banquier, after all, and if you've read my previous recaps, you can figure out what's going to happen.
[13] - $100
[16] - $200

At this point, the two kids who portray Martin's children on Les Beaux Malaises appear, and award Martin with a $5,000 PlayStation package. After that, the offer arrives.

BANKER'S OFFER

$48,000

In a normal game of Deal, I can guarantee you that the Banker wouldn't have made an offer close to that. But this is Le Banquier, where Julie Snyder and company reject your reality and substitute their own. As expected, Martin says REFUSÉE.

Round 4
[7] - $200,000
[6] - $750
[25] - $1

BANKER'S OFFER

$52,000

Martin says REFUSÉE.

Round 5
[8] - $20
[14] - $500

BANKER'S OFFER

$61,000

Martin says REFUSÉE.

Round 6
[24] - Surprise / $25,000 - The Surprise is $10,000 worth of outdoor furniture from Club Piscine.

BANKER'S OFFER

$69,000

Martin says REFUSÉE.

Round 7
[9] - Nothing! - The placard holding the amount fell into the lid of the case, re-creating a funny moment from Deal UK. The amount was then revealed to be $400.

BANKER'S OFFER

$91,000

Martin says REFUSÉE.

Round 8
[21] - $175,000 - Again, there is nothing to worry about here.

BANKER'S OFFER

$75,000

Martin says ACCEPTÉE.

Personally, I'd have gone on at this point, but I guess Martin had other ideas. Let's see if he made the right move.

Proveout

Round 9
[1] - $50,000

With a final two of $300 versus $150,000, monsieur Le Banquier delivers this...

BANKER'S OFFER
WOULD'VE BEEN

$85,000

We already know that Martin could've had a bit more, but there's a fine line between that and double the amount of his deal. Unfortunately, the latter proved to be the case, as Julie reveals that the 150 large resided in case 26. Case 22 had three bills.

So, after a less-than-great deal that would leave Ipswich's own Mark Dade fuming, surely we must be finished. Martin's total stands at $108,000 in cash and stuff at this point. But no, we're not finished just yet. The president of furniture store Brault & Martineau, one of Le Banquier's 20,000 sponsors, comes out from backstage and presents Martin with a giant cheque for $150,000. See? I told you everything would be okay.

While I begin to throw objects at my TV screen, Martin's total is raised to $258,000. Now I know how Robert Seidelman from Game Show Garbage felt when he had to review crappy game shows.

This happened once when Julie herself played the game in season 1, and a second time when Celine Dion replicated the feat two seasons ago. Now it's happened a third, and if that's the proverbial third strike, then we're most definitely out.

Join me next week for more faffing about on Le Banquier. Until then, good night, and good deals.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:20 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 04/10/15

Yep, once again a game is rendered virtually irrelevant by a ridiculously huge handout at the end. :roll:

I probably would've taken a page out of Reverend David's book and view the blank case as a sign that I need to get out ASAP, and then taken the AMO $91,000 thereafter (which I would've taken even without the blank case beforehand, obviously). :P

I personally like what the Italian version is doing this season in terms of handouts MUCH better. If a player finds 3 blues in a row, they get to play a game of skill (like knocking over a tower of cans with softballs within 1 minute) and if they succeed they get a €3,000 bonus. Then, if they find another 3 blues in a row after that, regardless of whether they succeeded with the skill game, €100,000 is added to the top prize.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:56 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 04/10/15

Really? $150,000 given away for no reason whatsoever? And I thought UK DOND had enough gimmicks! :roll:

Fan of classic rock and metal

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:36 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 04/10/15

Just to add to Ben's earlier comments about Affari Tuoi... apparently, if you open nine consecutive blues, the €3,000 bonus is either increased to €10,000, or €10,000 is added to it.

I agree that the show literally made the entire game useless by handing out a bonus of $150,000 at the end. That's the main problem with Le Banquier. They don't want anyone to fail, and on the rare occasion that someone does, suddenly a $30,000 car appears from nowhere. Someone won five dollars last season, and that's exactly what happened. Snyder and co. turned an awful game into a $70,000+ win, which included the aforementioned car, $10,000 from Capital One (now Videotron Mobile), a trip, whatever was in the Surprise case, and various other prizes.

Martin Matte certainly didn't "fail." $108,000 in cash and prizes for charity is great. What I think happened is that someone on Le Banquier's staff saw Deal UK's charity specials, and after seeing the Gauwckwynne (sp.?) win an "impressive" 10p for charity, they realized that if this happened on their show, there'd be hell to pay. That's why regardless of what happens in the game, the celebrity contestants are always guaranteed a large cheque from one of the show's many sponsors at the end so that the charity will get something out of the ordeal.

In regards to that, I posted the following comment on Le Banquier's official Facebook page. The people who leave comments on the page are quite dim-witted, so we'll see what kind of reaction it gets.

J'ai un gros problème avec cela. Je sais que ce jeu a été joué pour la charité, mais quand vous donnez un chèque comme ça à la fin, vous rendrez le jeu régulier complètement inutile.

Translation: I have a big problem with this. I know that this game was played for charity, but when you give out a cheque like this at the end, you render the regular game completely useless.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 04/10/15

Dr. Hindsight wrote:
Just to add to Ben's earlier comments about Affari Tuoi... apparently, if you open nine consecutive blues, the €3,000 bonus is either increased to €10,000, or €10,000 is added to it.

The bonus is augmented to €10,000 in that scenario regardless of whether the skill game is won. It's HIGHLY unlikely to happen, though, as they don't count Scambetto (trip in italian; the new name for the Crazy Box) as a blue, so there are only 9 blues to eliminate throughout the game.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:07 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 04/10/15

Another thing I noticed is that they took out Pacco X, the box with the mystery amount chosen by the contestant. I thought that was a neat element, and it's a shame that Paccos X and Y didn't last. These new features you described sound very cool, though, as it could set the stage for a €600,000 game (would've been €1.2 million had Radoppia hung around).

[ 6 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]