Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 4 posts ] 

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Le Banquier 12/10/14

Warnings: 0
It's time for more fantastic Frenchness on Le Banquier, the game show with most sponsors allowed by law.

We've got another themed episode this week, as our contestant is a huge fan of La Voix, the Quebec version of The Voice. Meet 37-year-old Katherine Carrol, a married mother of two. She originally applied to be on Le Banquier during its first season in 2007, and only made it onto the show now.

The usual bonuses are in play, including the new Maxi Case, which awards a trip. The usual models are at home collecting paychecks, so 26 former contestants from La Voix are holding the cases instead. Katherine picks case 13, and we've got ourselves a game.

Round 1 - 6 to open
[22] - $25,000
[12] - $1
[7] - $100
[17] - $175,000 - Tabarnac.
[11] - $500
[15] - $75 / Maxi Case - Katherine wins a trip for four to Hawaii, courtesy of Maxi.

BANKER'S OFFER

$48,000

Katherine says REFUSÉE.

Round 2 - 5 to open
[26] - $0.01 - This came after repeated chants of "Un sou, un sou" from the audience.
[9] - $500,000 - Tabarnac.
[21] - $200,000 - Tabarnac.
[8] - $50 / Surprise - Katherine wins a new home theater from Brick worth $10,000.
[10] - $20

Over $700,000 wiped out in one round. Will Monsieur Le Banquier drop the offer as a result?

BANKER'S OFFER

$51,000

He went up? Bizarre. It doesn't faze our contestant, however, as she says REFUSÉE.

Round 3 - 4 to open
[25] - $150,000 - Tabarnac.
[2] - $1,000
[5] - $300,000 - Tabarnac.
[4] - $100,000 - Tabarnac.

A total of $551,000 eliminated in that round. Surely the offer will decrease this time.

But before we find that out, we have to listen to Katherine participate in a singing duel with Annie Villeneuve, just like on La Voix or The Voice. Surprisingly, Katherine sings quite well, prompting Marc Dupré, one of the coaches on La Voix to present her with a day at a recording studio worth $4,000.

Then, Charles Lafortune, one of the show's hosts, sweetens the pot with a V.I.P. pass to attend all of La Voix's live shows this season. Ben, if you're reading this, I have seen the light, and I now fully support your stance against unnecessary handouts on game shows.

Fun fact: Host Julie Snyder's production company, Les Productions J, produces both Le Banquier and La Voix. Coincidence? Most likely.

Seventy-seven hours later, Julie suddenly remembers that Le Banquier is supposed to be a game show, and we finally get the third offer.

BANKER'S OFFER

$35,000

Monsieur Le Banquier finally did go down, and rightfully so. But Katherine is here for more, so it's a quick REFUSÉE from her.

Round 4 - 3 to open
[18] - $200
[24] - $5
[6] - $400

The Quebec equivalent of an all-blue round on the UK version. Here comes the offer.

BANKER'S OFFER

$58,000

I would deal at this point, as the game is teetering on complete disaster, even with the Capital One freebie still in play. Katherine, on the other hand, thinks she can squeeze more money out of this game, so she says REFUSÉE.

Round 5 - 2 to open
[3] - $750
[16] - $400,000 - Tabarnac, and game basically over.

With $50,000 and $125,000 among the last remaining reds on the board, Katherine receives this offer:

BANKER'S OFFER

$29,000

Katherine says REFUSÉE.

Round 6 - 1 to open
[1] - $10

BANKER'S OFFER

$39,000

After some deliberation, Katherine realizes that the game is unraveling faster than a cheap sweater, so she says ACCEPTÉE.

Could she have done better, though? Let's find out.

Proveout
Round 7 - 1 to open

[19] - Capital One - Just missed out on the bonus. Katherine becomes the first contestant to deal with the Capital One bonus still in play.

BANKER'S OFFER
WOULD'VE BEEN

$51,000

Round 8 - 1 to open
[14] - $125,000

With the last of the Power Eight gone, Julie opens case 13 to reveal $5,000.

The other cases:
[20] - $300
[23] - $50,000

But we're not finished there. A special red button is brought out on a tray, and Katherine presses it to receive a 2015 Nissan Micra SR. Great, another gratuitous handout. This is getting ridiculous already. And yes, Nissan is another one of Le Banquier's 2,000 sponsors.

Katherine sung her way to $83,720 in cash and prizes tonight. Will our next contestant fare better? Find out next week, as we celebrate 50 years of Le Journal de Montreal on Le Banquier. Until then, merci, et bonne soirée.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:49 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 12/10/14

$44,720 in extras given away this episode, which I believe is a record for a non-celebrity episode. :roll: :smt011 The handouts on this version are really getting my skin, but the Canadian viewing audience as a whole seem to like it and that's what matters.

I would've broke the golden for mathematicians and declined that $39,000 offer (which was above the average of the board) as a) I was guaranteed over $15,000 in hand-outs already, b) the $10,000 Capital One bonus was still in play and c) historically this Banker is known to make even bigger AMOs on a weak board, so going on actually had a positive Expected Value. With the Capital One bonus pocketed and the offer being 113% of the average, however, I would've insta-dealt the $51,000 offer for the 2nd Banker Spanking in a row. 8)

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:54 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 12/10/14

I think the reason why they have so many sponsored handouts and AMOs on Le Banquier is because they're really afraid that if a player wins a left-side amount, it won't make for good television. Le Banquier is one of the highest-rates shows on TV in Quebec, and they want to maintain that status. Additionally, they want to ensure that the contestants leave the game with something, and if that doesn't work in the money category, they'll shower them with gifts either during the game, or at the end.

The show has only had about four blue winners since 2007, and they were all eventually invited back for a second chance special, where they each won additional prizes. I can recall one game from early on in the run where the player won only $20 in cash, but was given over $21,500 worth of prizes during and after her game because she was a bride-to-be.

For the record, the lowest win remains the $14.22 deal on a $5/$20 finish accepted by "Super Fred" early on in the show's run. But this deal was not without its handouts. The deal also included 50 pairs of white socks, and an article on his experience in 7 Jours magazine.

Davao

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:31 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Le Banquier 12/10/14

I like this version of DOND it has a cool and fun gimmick and a less chance of winning a blue. The prizes are great. Thanks for the recap Mark and keep up the good work! :smt023 A pleasure to read these

[ 4 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]