Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 3 posts ] 

KP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:57 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Miljoenenjacht, Apr 4 2010 {SPOILER}
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
First things first: the pre-show advert before my stream started revealed that the legal drinking age in the Netherlands is 16.

It had to be more liberal than the UK didn't it?

500 people packed into possibly the world's most intimidating game show arena, all very warmly welcoming host Linda de Mol, who talks about the "exciting episode" last week. Oh yes, it was.

First video question clip is on MEERKATS!! It turns into a question asking which Lion King character was a meerkat, I think.

How does this show give away so much money? The producers got cheap car insurance. Simples!

Red half win overall 373-364, and each win an LG Blu-ray player. 9B/25 (Ria) is plucked randomly from the blue half; she's a crazy old lady. She's offered the pick of the three cases; one has a place in the final, one has €2,000 (and apparently that goes to every lottery ticket holder in her postcode!), the other has a "practical electric scooter" for everyone in her block. She picks blue... it's the cash! Every lottery player in postcode 2726 DS gets a big Easter present! (That's not a large area - Wikipedia claims that on average, a Dutch postal code comprises eight single addresses. Another top fact from that article; almost all combinations of two letters are allowed in postcodes, but SS, SD and SA are not used because of connections with Nazi organisations - remember that the Netherlands was successfully invaded by the Nazis in 1940.)

Anyway. Second round, and there's a question on something that was "number 1 in the irritation top 10". It probably makes more sense in Dutch. Block 2 win comfortably, eight clear of their nearest rivals; 1A/6 (missed his name, but it's an old man) gets the pick of the cases, goes blue... SCOOTER! He's laughing and shaking his wife's hand. That's a whole bunch of scooters given away!

First question in round 3 is something to do with materials recycled for use in the Dutch World$ Cup shirts. Classic Netherlands. Two questions later, it's 2B over 2A by a landslide, 51-31. No worries for 2A/20 (Marc), as he gets to pick a case, goes white... and gets a spot in the semi-final! The other five slots go to the top five in 2B, including an Irene, playing to restore the battered reputation of DoND contestants by that name (mean win of UK contestants called Irene: £2.01, I kid ye not). No such luck, as she goes out second in the poll-the-audience eliminator, followed by Orwine, the first black contestant I've seen at this stage in entirely too long.

Gert and Connie are the final two survivors. Both look prototypical middle-aged middle-class white game show contestants. Connie's husband is apparently called Hank, so I want her to win. They've been married 25 years - "applause!" Linda demands of the audience, who promptly respond. Yes, I do want her to win. Money clock starts goes up erratically but moderately quickly, then slowing up dramatically. This is probably worth waiting all the way and gambling... which both promptly do, as it stops at a feebly low €34,000. Linda still does her trademark Covered Mouth Of Shock, and that €34,000 is going to an audience member... 3B/1, Heidi, wins!

Gert v Connie has to have a winner though, and it's the maths question on the buzzer, 213-84. Long, long pause. I could have won this! Connie eventually pulls the trigger... 129! She plays! Second female contestant in a row, and Linda reminds Connie of last week's spooky happenings. What's she going for? One million, apparently. Two people have left this show as millionaires, and a few more have left with something not far short.

Canary yellow dresses for the models tonight (must be an Easter thing), and Linda gives Connie the choice of "26 identical cases". She picks Case 4. Why? "No idea." The ghost of Wakey has taken you over already, Connie, and you don't even know it exists... :P

Did the independent adjudicator just call her "Julie"? I think he did... anyway, we'll move on and get on with the game. I missed the €10k giveaways in skipping to what matters.

ROUND 1
26 (guess €75,000) - €300,000. "Oo-ee. Three ton."
22 (guess €1,000,000 - "Oh heck", or words to that effect) - €200,000. Believe it or not, those two aren't dreadful.
3 (guess €0.20, after almost opening the case too soon) - €500,000! "Oh!" Now this isn't good.
11 (guess €750,000 - crowd groan and gasp!) - €75,000. A zero missing, as Linda points out.
7 (guess €0.50) - Linda calls for one on the left - €50! We get one, but Linda is preoccupied with how "unlucky" the case-opener was for being two orders of magnitude out.
10 (guess €500) - €20. Big grin from Connie!

I don't care that you didn't get your prediction bonus, I'm here for the BIG money.

OFFER €30,000

Somehow this round wound up as almost good, and the offer reflects that. Needless to say, it's rejected - Linda reminds Connie of the €34,000 prize from the money clock, before an instant NO DEAL.

Five cases this round, Linda reminds Connie and us.

ROUND 2
15 (guess €100) - €50,000. Linda again calls for a left-side amount.
18 (guess €10) - €500. We get one.
8 (missed the guess) - €100,000. Linda reminds Connie that "all the millions" are in play, although there is now nothing between €25,000 and €400,000!
5 (guess €2,500) - €10,000. The top-right of the board has been obliterated - this is terrifying!
1 (guess €0.01) - €0.50! Nearly.

Early deal? You'd have to think about it.

OFFER €130,000

Nobody's ever dealt the second offer here, although someone did with this format in, of all places, Australia, the home with the world's highest per capita supply of slot machines. I would almost forgive someone taking this one. Linda says this is an "extreme" offer for this stage, or something like that. NO DEAL it is though, and Linda was caught on the hop by the speed of it, expecting advice to be sought!

ROUND 3
17 (guess €1,000) - €100! Linda does a silly thumbs-up sign to Connie. There's been a few near-misses tonight but no correct guesses...
9 (guess €2,500,000. Linda covers her face in horror at the mere thought!)
We've not even opened the blinking case yet, Linda!!
Where were we? Ah yes, 9 - €1! Huge relief from all concerned and a big round of applause! Five of the top six at halfway and Linda is dancing around being a bit loopy.
25 (guess €2,500,000! Linda just shrugs it off this time) - €10! This is turning into a classic...
19 (guess €5,000,000! Or was it €2,500,000?) - €2,500!

ALL-LEFT ROUND! "You're doing fantastic!" Even with the huge hole in the board, I'm prepared to agree now:

Code:
           €25,000
€0.01     €400,000
€0.20     €750,000
€5      €1,000,000
€1,000  €2,500,000
€5,000  €5,000,000

The mean is well over €800,000. Take out two more low numbers, and the median is €400,000! This will hence be a massive, life-changing offer...

OFFER €240,000

I think that might just be a record third offer for this version, though the US show likely holds the world record thanks to the Million Dollar Mission. Looks like Connie actually has a female partner in the audience. NO DEAL in an instant!!

Oh boy.

ROUND 4
20 (guess €1,000) - €5! Linda is getting massively excited at this board now.
2 (guess €0.01) - €25,000! The median is €400,000!!
16 (guess €2,500,000 - Linda just goes "OK", then calls a break!) - €750,000. AND PEOPLE STILL APPLAUD!!!

All three millions at eight-case. Can't remember the last time this happened. If it ever has.

OFFER €395,000

Ooh, sneaky. Just below the one six-figure case remaining. NO DEAL IN AN INSTANT AGAIN!! Linda is stunned at the speed of that decision... I'd have done the same but nothing like as quickly!

ROUND 5
13 (guess, almost forgotten, €5,000) - €400,000. Median is €5,000, but the probability of "six zeroes" in the case is 50% if this is low...
6 (guess €1,000) - €1,000,000!

But we're still in the game.

The Most Terrifying Final Six You Will Ever See Anywhere In The World, Ever

€0.01
€0.20
€1,000
€5,000
€2,500,000
€5,000,000

This is deal time.

OFFER €710,000

Yup, this is deal time. Although the mean exceeds €1.2m, and there's only one to open... partner says to go on? Oh, that was someone else, possibly? I'm not sure. Anyway, the female who seems to be her audience helper points out "it's a lot of money", which obviously it is. Linda then talks through all permutations. I've no idea what the offer for a one-case game would be and don't wish to find out, there is just no point in me chasing this. She is... not me. NO DEAL!

The biggest winner of all time was Helma in the late 2005 run, €1,495,000 from a four-case Deal. She had a board like this but with €75,000 in tow. The €1,000 she actually had on the table is still in play.

ROUND 6
21 (guess €5,000,000 - silence, and Linda motions to bash her head on the button case!) €5,000!! Linda gives Connie a hug and is looking very, very overexcited and shocked. Wouldn't you be?!?

Million?

OFFER €1,000,000

Million! Helma was offered €995,000 at this stage with €75,000 and a different low number instead of the bottom two. "You're a millionaire!" cries Linda, ignoring the fact she'll probably gamble here. "Two from the five," Linda says after hushing the crowd, have seven figures. The other three... don't. Linda reckons the offer for taking out €5m will be at least €500,000. She's probably, shockingly, right. Phrased like that, I'm actually gambling, especially as that indicates a stick for taking out €2.5m assuming static generosity. Oh, and the small matter of maybe breaking Helma's record if it's neither. Is Linda influencing or not? I can't tell. Oh, she now says it's a "fantastic offer of €1,000,000" - DEAL! And Linda screams with joy! The third millionaire in this show's history!

Remember, the Dutch equivalent of the Igor finish is still on here, as well as the Dutch equivalent of the Donna finish.

PROVEOUT
23 (guess €5,000,000) - €1,000!! Top two and bottom two as the final four cases!!!
14 (guess €5,000,000) - €0.20!! Linda walks away in shock. Then laughs hysterically.

We have a 1/3 chance of the biggest-money finish possible in any DoND ever. Linda reckons this offer would be €2m. Incredibly, she's probably right.

24 (guess €2,500,000 - Alice finish multiplied by 20, anyone?!?) - €2,500,000!!! CORRECT GUESS FOR €3,000, the first correct guess of the night, but who even cares about that when you've got...

The Highest Volatility Finish Possible In Any DoND Anywhere In The World, Ever
€0.01
€5,000,000

Linda just does not know how to react. Apart from squeaks. Only one other player has bought €5m to the table - the second millionaire.

Case 12's holder guesses she has €5m... her case has... €0.01!! Case 4 does indeed have €5,000,000. The ghost of Wakey was with her indeed!! Still, she channeled that spirit far enough - with some dramatic speedy gambles, too - to become the show's third millionaire, and the first I've commentated on! Congratulations Connie!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

matt26

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: Miljoenenjacht, Apr 4 2010 {SPOILER}

I love how in the last episode you said that it was 'the most terrifying final six ever' and 'most volatile finish in DOND history'... and then you say it all over again this time! Miljoenenjacht sounds like a great show. Where exactly can I see it live? Granted, I probably won't understand ANYTHING they're saying, but it should be easy enough to make out the basics of what's going on...

So bearing in mind the 25% tax on winnings, she goes away with... over £660,000! Is this the highest stakes gameshow ever? Also, she sold her box for 100 million times what it's worth... that must be a DOND record surely? In all honesty, if it's as exciting as it sounds from reading this, I'd rather have an English version of this once a fortnight rather than the current format six times a week!

KP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:30 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Miljoenenjacht, Apr 4 2010 {SPOILER}
International Forums Moderator

Actually, the player had €5m. The remaining case on the 'wings' was opened first for prediction purposes, which I didn't make clear enough.

The link to this episode is here. If you want to cut to the case-opening game, it starts just after 45:00. (Yes, that does mean they get the case-opening game done quicker than we do; although this comes at a cost of losing some of the story-building, there are interviews with the final two, and a longer one with the eventual DoND contestant.)

Second game in a row in which the player has picked one of the two multi-million-euro cases, but then left the penny to the end, and yes, this was a bit like that one, but on another level altogether!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

[ 3 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » International DoND Forums » International DoND Forums » Rest of the worldAll times are UTC [ DST ]