Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 16 posts ] 

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

Warnings: 0
What do you think was the best and worst "Banker's gamble"?

For me the best one was Justin from February 2010 (Un-dealt £18,500 on a 10p/£75k final 2) as it was well pitched for the board and paid off beautifully. The worst one i thought was £1,313 Hannah from December 2012 (refused a BG on a £750/£3,000 - she was only risking £563 and would've gone away with a useful consolation if she gambled and it didn't work out!! :smt011 Though admittedly i keep overlooking this one as i rather fancied Hannah at the time ;-) )

FrenchAPOALFan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:33 pm    Author: FrenchAPOALFan    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

I can't speak for the uk version since i didn't saw all the ep but i remember of a guy in your version who didn't deal a BG (he dealt at 8k and he had 3k/20k at the end).

On french version a woman had a "come back" (french name for BG) she dealt at something like 4900 (and she had 4000/25 000 finish :shock: )

She dealt the BG and ended up with the 25k :shock: .

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

A pretty bad one IIRC was Cheryl getting offered it on £75,000/1p when she'd dealt £7,000 at 5-box, had one to open, and the offer went up by that amount after each box! So she had the chance to gamble £7k at a point where she could have been offered £28k!!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:17 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

The "worst" were the ones where it was offered on a blue/red finish where the amount dealt was near the average, like Dirty George's from March 2008 (£15k on a blue/£35k finish) and Ali's from June 2012 (£40k on a 10p/£100k finish). They're not a difficult decision at all and a complete waste of time.

Ones like Alice's and Cheryl's were great from every perspective except a money saving one, as they're still VERY tough decisions for the person playing with a 50% chance of losing a sum that clearly meant a lot to them.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"
Forum Games Moderator

FrenchAPOALFan wrote:
I can't speak for the uk version since i didn't saw all the ep but i remember of a guy in your version who didn't deal a BG (he dealt at 8k and he had 3k/20k at the end).

On french version a woman had a "come back" (french name for BG) she dealt at something like 4900 (and she had 4000/25 000 finish :shock: )

She dealt the BG and ended up with the 25k :shock: .

Wow, that's the easiest decision she'll ever have to make! The Banker on the French Deal Or No Deal does seem a bit odd... :lol:

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

FrenchAPOALFan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:02 pm    Author: FrenchAPOALFan    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

He is lunatic, when the contestant have rubbish amount, he can propose 49 euros at 3 box stage with the highest box at 50 euros :laughing

KP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"
International Forums Moderator

The worst ones, as ACB said, were definitely those never-gonna-be-taken ones. They kept coming up on blue/£35k for some reason?

Best one might have been Shell, who dealt £17.5k at 4-box on 1p/£1/£20k/£100k and got offered it on the resultant 1p/£100k finish. (Declined, £100k on the table.) That's a situation where either decision could genuinely happen - I'd have gone Deal / Deal myself there in fact.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:57 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"
Forum Games Moderator

FrenchAPOALFan wrote:
He is lunatic, when the contestant have rubbish amount, he can propose 49 euros at 3 box stage with the highest box at 50 euros :laughing

It's above the mean, so DEAL! :-D

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

FrenchAPOALFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:28 am    Author: FrenchAPOALFan    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

daniel123 wrote:
FrenchAPOALFan wrote:

In facts he NO DEALT the 49 euros and he won the 50 :-D

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:04 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"
Forum Games Moderator

FrenchAPOALFan wrote:
daniel123 wrote:
FrenchAPOALFan wrote:

In facts he NO DEALT the 49 euros and he won the 50 :-D

Well, I have to say, I think that was a reckless gamble, but at least it paid off... :P

danielbaker1992

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:54 am    Author: danielbaker1992    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

Graham who won £50,000 in 2015 has to be one of the best. It was phenomenal how he crashed, cut his losses then ended up winning more than his highest offer of £45,000.

SBOW12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:29 pm    Author: SBOW12    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

One of the worst for me Angel from January 2014 she dealt at 9k and the prove out went down to a £5/35k finish The Banker offered the gamble and she took it because she had a thing about box 3 plus the fact she was allowed to swap for it. She ended up swapping 35k away for the fiver and then Box 23 didn't save her an irrational gamble backfiring big time.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:49 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

SBOW12 wrote:
One of the worst for me Angel from January 2014 she dealt at 9k and the prove out went down to a £5/35k finish The Banker offered the gamble and she took it because she had a thing about box 3 plus the fact she was allowed to swap for it. She ended up swapping 35k away for the fiver and then Box 23 didn't save her an irrational gamble backfiring big time.

I'd argue it was one of the best from an entertainment perspective. £9,000 would've been arguable either way on that finish in live play, and you'd think given the fact she initially made a cautious deal for that amount she wouldn't risk it, but surprisingly she did in the heat of the moment!

Probably the single most shocking acceptance of the Banker's Gamble there ever was, with Justin's from Love Week 2010 being the only other candidate.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:08 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

Oh god, how could I have forgotten £3k David from November 2008? That was one of my least favourite games ever! :shock:

He had one of strongest boards of all time at the halfway point, yet the offers were so bad that I don't think the banker was even trying to buy the box! :shock: :evil: His eventual deal for £3k at 5-box with the £20k and £35k higher (plus the £3k equal to it) was just pathetic - he even admitted that he dealt because he didn't want to upset everyone by winning a blue (at which point there was a 40% chance of happening, against far better odds of getting a better offer if he continued) and to make sure he went home with something after waiting 15 years to appear on a game show - and him declining the "Banker's gamble" on a £100/£35k finish was one of the EASIEST power 5 wins ever squandered. So in other words, he dealt when he did (and rejected the gamble) to save face, rather than because he had a modest targest or need for money . :x :smt011

I also found David quite irritating - Not only did he annoy me with his "saving face" attitude when he dealt and rejected the gamble, but he acted like he was owed a medal for "bravely" sharing the macabre details of his childhood bullying problem, and being so "compassionate" about his 15 year wait to come on the show (thank god there were no emotional breakdowns during the show - that would've turned me off completely!). The whole thing felt like it was designed to elicit viewer rubbernecking, rather than empathy or compassion. :|

A thoroughly-deserved OPL :evil: :twisted:

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:12 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"
Forum Games Moderator

Just 'played through' that game with the stats generator...those offers were horrendous! The mean at £49,000 and he offers £15,000?! Then the £3,000 he dealt, half of the Fair Deal, never mind the mean (and for me, 'Fair Deal' doesn't represent a fair deal at all, but there we are)

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:48 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Best and worst "Banker's Gamble"

Not going go lie, £3k David's game gave me serious "The gameplay doesn't matter, let's just give ourselves a pat on the back for having our token nerdy underdog who proved the bullies/haters/alphas wrong by just being himself narrative" vibes :|

[ 16 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]