Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:42 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:42 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:01 pm    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Greediest Players

Warnings: 0
Just Like Gurpal, Corinne, and Joycey, Does Anyone Know Some Of The Greediesy Players? Especially the ones who have gone to the end with 250k and not won it. Does anyone? Thank you :D

Fan of many game shows and Series 87 Champion of Countdown!

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Kerry-Anne from May 2011 should definitely be on that list. Turning down £140,000 on a £10,000/£250,000 finish was, in my eyes, by far the stupidest decision in Deal history, regardless of how much you want to win the jackpot.At least with all the other people you could argue that they had considerably more to gain than to lose with their super risky final Gamble's, whereas Kerry-Anne risked a insane drop of £130,000 just to gain a further £110,000.

Of course, with that logic £50k Rich should also be at the top of the list, but at least he was fully aware of how reckless his risks were but was willing to take them anyway just to play out his 1 in 22 shot at the £250,000. And yes, I am biased by the fact that Rich's game is one of my Top 5 favorite games of all time. ;)

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:37 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Is Rich's game on Youtube? Haven't seen that but would quite like to...

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:24 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

The first ones i think of that fit this category are:

Madie a.k.a Player 14 from the feet-finding days of the show. Turned down £28k (102% of the mean on a £100k high), then crashed and settled for a mediocre offer of £4,800 on £5/£15k finish. But the juiciest one would probably be £50k Scott from August 2012, who turned down some of the most generous offers in the show's history. Most notoriously £25,250 (EXACTLY the mean) on a £500/£50k with a potential reward of less than double.

Scott's ultimate reasons for playing the way he did divided opinions on here as he wanted to win as much money as he could and spend it all on his kids and himself before his game aired so he could get revenge on his cheating ex-wife by not giving her a penny of his winnings. Remember that song "Hit 'Em Up Style" by Blu Cantrell from 2001, which was about getting revenge on your cheating ex by getting your hands on their money and spending it all? That's kind of how this was, but without Scott stealing from his ex thankfully

The irony is, despite the "Love it or hate it" reaction to Scott's game, we should've been thankful for it either way, as there were no power-5 level wins for 4 months after Scott's game (Well, it would've been a different story if Esher dealt at 5-box or didn't swap her box at the end :( )

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 am    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Aaron Brock wrote:
Is Rich's game on Youtube? Haven't seen that but would quite like to...

Yes, poor quality, I think it's blocked in this country though. His interview Is on youtube and you can watch it also on the Facebook deal or no deal r.i.p page

higginson_ronan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am    Author: higginson_ronan    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

JamesJMH91 wrote:
The first ones i think of that fit this category are:

Madie a.k.a Player 14 from the feet-finding days of the show. Turned down £28k (102% of the mean on a £100k high), then crashed and settled for a mediocre offer of £4,800 on £5/£15k finish. But the juiciest one would probably be £50k Scott from August 2012, who turned down some of the most generous offers in the show's history. Most notoriously £25,250 (EXACTLY the mean) on a £500/£50k with a potential reward of less than double.

Scott's ultimate reasons for playing the way he did divided opinions on here as he wanted to win as much
money as he could and spend it all on his kids and himself before his game aired so he could get revenge on his cheating ex-wife by not giving her a penny of his winnings. Remember that song "Hit 'Em Up Style" by Blu Cantrell from 2001, which was about getting revenge on your cheating ex by getting your hands on their money and spending it all? That's kind of how this was, but without Scott stealing from his ex

The irony is, despite the "Love it or hate it" reaction to Scott's game, we should've been thankful for it either way, as there were no power-5 level wins for 4 months after Scott's game (Well, it would've been a different story if Esher dealt at 5-box or didn't swap her box at the end :( )

Is Scotts Game Anywhere Online?

Davao

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:23 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

I wouldn't say Corrine was greedy. Corrine had 1 goal in mind, she wanted a car that would have cost her 250,000 pounds. She wanted to go for it and the only way to get that car was by winning the jackpot, and she didn't she ended up winning 1p. She deserved to win the big one, after all of the courage she showed in that game.

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:56 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

That glutton that insisted on eating his lunch midway through the game. Stirred up a second round of 'boxgate' when he announced Box 12 but it was assumed he'd called out Box 10 such was the extent of the garbled delivery through a swirling munch of a hot chip. With Box 10 revealing the £250k, everyone will wonder how the game would have panned out had the hungry tw@t just waited another half hour.

Davao

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:29 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

I don't think anyone is greedy. I think they want to do what is the best for them in the show. I don't think we should judge people for being greedy, after all it's their game, their money to win? Judging by some of the comments I've seen by people here, why get all pissed when someone wins a blue? Or someone deals too early? Let them deal when they want, let them go to the end if they want, it's a gameshow.

The people that piss me off the most? The ones who are hypocrites, those who praise Alice, but criticize Corrine, because her gamble went wrong? If corrine won the £250,000? People would praise her surely? But if your gamble goes wrong you get criticized unfairly, as it's a luck based game, it can go both ways

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:05 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

To be fair, a lot of contestants who blindly chased the £250k struck me more as zealous glory hunters rather than being greedy, which certainly isn't the same. Morris was a perfect example of this, as his attitude suggested that he was simply chasing the fame of being the first quarter millionaire, rather than the money, further evidenced by Morris' obvious shock and mild frustration after his decision to decline £101,000 failed

One player who really rubbed me the wrong way with his attitude was Vaughan from the early-ish days of the show. I don't know if Vaughan was just trying to spit fighting words to intimidate the banker and was actually dead broke in real life, but no way known would his attitude have been tolerated in the post-season 2 DoND world where it was practically an obligation to claim you were as skint as a Z-list has-been reduced to working a £6 an hour job in a factory alongside 50 ex-criminals and currently facing redundancy

"Oh, you can magically make £5,000 in a week and you became filthy rich by betting thousands of hard earned £££ on a horse? You're out on your ear son!"

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:02 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

JamesJMH91 wrote:
post-season 2 DoND world where it was practically an obligation to claim you were as skint as a Z-list has-been reduced to working a £6 an hour job in a factory alongside 50 ex-criminals and currently facing redundancy

Aww, you're cute if you think dirty, smoke ridden factories house the ex-convicts :-)

Every single kitchen, even in the most prestigious establishments, has at least one on their books. I've worked with some horrors indeed, and my copybook isn't clean itself.

Morris did have his '''lucky number'' on the table, which held sway ultimately. Otherwise it'd have been deal at £101k I reckon.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Another contestant I thought of was Di from 2007 who no-dealt an insanely generous £44,000 with just the jackpot higher, then a huge drop to £20k. I'll never forget how Di just brushed off Kerry's advice to deal and then no-dealt the offer, clearly not in a good state to take risks like that. You could only imagine the emotional chagrin that Di displayed after she took out the big one in the very next box and subsequently cut her losses for a (generous for the final pairing but absolutely miniscule compared to what she turned her back on) £8,000

psychokiller

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:33 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

JamesJMH91 wrote:
Another contestant I thought of was Di from 2007 who no-dealt an insanely generous £44,000 with just the jackpot higher, then a huge drop to £20k. I'll never forget how Di just brushed off Kerry's advice to deal and then no-dealt the offer, clearly not in a good state to take risks like that. You could only imagine the emotional chagrin that Di displayed after she took out the big one in the very next box and subsequently cut her losses for a (generous for the final pairing but absolutely miniscule compared to what she turned her back on) £8,000

Unforgettable, that one. I have seen it since but even if I hadn't the episode would live fresh in my memory. Her husband looked dangerously angry, the side of his lip drooped. And okay maybe she got some stick because the gamble failed to pay off, but it'd have been a survival and nothing more had the £250k stayed. Sometimes if you yomp through no man's land, every so often you might dodge the hellfire. Nong, a £250k winner, is a prominent example of ''clearly should not be gambling like this in her mental state'' that did actually get away with it.

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:52 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Di was one of my rare cases of "Schadenfreude"(sp?) - along with 1p Matty. Both were hilarious in their different ways!

(God I sound a right hypocrite here!!)

Also those games where people did chase the £250k on risky boards, Nong being one example which paid off, and several others mentioned at the start of the thread which didn't, make me think what I would have done, and then I realise I wouldn't have even reached those crunch points as in most of them I'd have dealt at 8-box or 5-box (at least I'd have won a hell of a lot more than Corinne, Joycey, Gurpal and even Kerry-Anne even if they'd all been TBW's!) :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

thundercat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:03 pm    Author: thundercat    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Naturally players who decline generous offers for pursuit of more higher offers or box amounts are greedy by definition

But I'd also like to include players in that greedy definition as those who have no interest in playing the game and will take the first decent offer that comes around regardless of the strength of the board and subsequent entertainment value lost.

Some might say cautious contestants are entitled to do what they want if it means dealing early as its their money, but the same can equally be said for those who decide to decline generous offers for more. For that reason I'd say there's an equal case for greed on both sides but it depends entirely on the circumstances.

Matthew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:30 am    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Location: Paignton, Devon but originally from Keighley, West Yorkshire
Agree with all the above players, but for me the most greediest who didn't still have the £250k was John G from February 2006. I mean, he said No Deal to an offer of £25,000 on a 5-box board with £50k and £75k left where the average was just OVER £25,000! (£25,252 to be exact, so that £25,000 offer was practically 99% of the average! sdgthju :smt103) I remember watching it and literally screamed at the top of my lungs: "DEAL YOU BLOODY IDIOT!!!!"
But he didn't listen and everyone was in shock, hell even Noel looked genuinely shocked he turned it down! Thankfully, he completely crashed after that. Never have I felt so happy and elated to see a OTT reckless gamble fail spectacularly! :smt046 :laughing :bluelol :twisted:
Sorry if I sound offensive, but I just flat out hate players who don't understand the value of money, regardless of how they want to play the game. :veryangry :angry :evil:

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:26 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Another one from the show's "twilight years" was John from February 2015. He no-dealt £28,000 with only the £250k higher followed by a big drop to £15k. He then no-dealt a BANG-ON THE AVERAGE offer of £7,750 on a £500/£15k finish and opened his box to "win" £15,000, but then gambled box 23 and lost the lot!!

He took three ridiculous gambles and could've had a good ending but essentially threw it all away by gambling box 23! :smt009 :smt011

Matthew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:16 pm    Author: Matthew    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

Location: Paignton, Devon but originally from Keighley, West Yorkshire
JamesJMH91 wrote:
Another one from the show's "twilight years" was John from February 2015. He no-dealt £28,000 with only the £250k higher followed by a big drop to £15k. He then no-dealt a BANG-ON THE AVERAGE offer of £7,750 on a £500/£15k finish and opened his box to "win" £15,000, but then gambled box 23 and lost the lot!!

He took three ridiculous gambles and could've had a good ending but essentially threw it all away by gambling box 23! :smt009 :smt011

Oh I remember him. I mean honestly, 3 crazy gambles just to get £15,000. Now anyone even with half a brain cell after taking those sort of gambles would take that money without hesitation, yet that crazed lunatic wanted even more! And at that point, I really wanted him to lose it all. And he did. Serves him right the greedy idiot, hope the other players on the wings laid into him for being so foolish. :smt019 :smt011

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:23 am    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

I just had to re-read John's game thread as I don't remember him at all, can't put a face to him (after all I all but stopped watching once box 23 came in) - the £28k no-deal was I felt quite understandable (though I wouldn't have done it) as he'd have scared the banker into a massive 2-box offer if he'd kept the £250k, especially with one of the 3 reds which were still there, and he'd always get a few thousand if it went (without gambling at 2-box or taking 23!). Compare it to Madie's no-deal of the same amount (though that was a different era obviously)!

Though gambling the mean at 2-box and buying Box 23 with £15k are a bit head-scratching, as KP pointed out (more or less the only post-game post worth reading among all the silly arguments) he never gambled anything against the odds!

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Greediest Players

I wonder what Madie's 2-box offer would've been if he didn't find the £100k - Given he'd turned down an above-the-mean offer at 5-box, he would've gotten about £60k or so on the "Maria" finish (the average on a £15k/£100k finish is £57,500), and given he got a final offer of £4,800, and the fact that it was actually possible to get an offer close to £50k on a blue/£100k in those days, Jan's hypothetical £48k offer on a similar finish the next day probably would've been Madie's last offer

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]