Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:40 pm Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:40 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Whizzer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:27 pm    Author: Whizzer    Post subject: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Warnings: 0
Allthough it hasn't officially been announced, it does look inevitable now that Deal or No Deal will be ending soon. I think the give away is that it's been moved from it's old 4pm slot to a 1:10pm slot. Yet in the 4pm slot every day is re-runs of the series Posh Pawn! It's going to get far less viewers in that 1:10pm slot! And it will continue in that slot(or round about that slot) for however many episodes are left to show, before it's axed. Being relegated to a 1:10pm slot seems a long way from it's heyday when it was on 4:15pm Mondays-Fridays and Saturday nights at about 8pm!

A shame really as I would have liked it have continued. Albeit it not being on so often. As I found when working, the show being on 5 times per week all year round was just too much to keep track of, and so I wasn't able to catch up with every episode. I would have preferred it continuing, but only being on for say 5 months of the year, or say just 3 episodes per week.

Like many people would agree, I found the show started going downhill when the changed it from it's 45 minute slot to a 1 hour slot, and the extra time filled with too much chat and faffing around.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:16 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

To be fair, there are signs that DoND is being phased out - If you look at how much they've scaled back the show (in terms of how much it's shown) since the end of last year, it's evident that show is pretty much on life support and is slowly fading to a seemingly imminent cancellation

First, the weekend shows were completely dropped back in October last year (The weekend shows were dropped in August 2013, then brought back at the start of 2014, then they were abruptly scrapped again in September last year, then they showed one more weekend show in October, but none since then. So i think the weekend shows are definitely gone for good this time)

Then, they took a break over Christmas, with only two shows in Christmas week, and then a break over new year', with only two shows on the weeking leading into 2015

And then, since February, the show has been taking breaks almost every second week (sometimes two weeks in a row) to accomodate the horse-racing telecasts. Also note that they've been taking these breaks on weeks when the Easter, Banker's Birthday and Summer specials would usually occur, so themed weeks may be in the bin for good too!

Then, in Early July, they quietly went off to a summer break and there was no DoND for well over 2 months (!). Now they've come back, the weekend shows aren't coming back any time soon, they're still pulling the show off to look after horse racing fans, and they have this pathetic new timeslot which is CERTAIN to yield poor viewing figures. I think the axing of the weekend shows was the beginning of the end for DoND, and since then it's been on less and less, and i think the 1.10pm timeslot is going to be the show's final downfall

I agree that DoND became boring to watch when it was stretched out to an hour long timeslot to leave all the boring bits in, and the change 'co-incided' with the influx of players being desperate for money, therefore predictably dealing early, which made the show even more mundane to watch.

Sadly, you only need to look at the decline in forum activity over the last few years to notice that a lot of people are thinking the same. Look at the site's activity from 2007, the forum was like a thriving metropolis, whereas today we have probably no more than 6 people (!) regularly posting on here now, and you only have to look at the decreasing lengths of the commentary threads (which are now NO MORE than 2 pages long and just have the exact same robotic commentary over and over) to notice that even the forum's interest in the show is really starting to dwindle

Even though i'm an international UK DoND fan, who discovered the UK version in January 2007 and quickly became hooked, but a 'late-bloomer' who didn't actually join the forums until April 2012, I think from about mid-2010 onwards was when the show started to become boring with cautious players,the games becoming less interesting and the atmosphere becoming somewhat flatter. We should've known It was an ominous warning of what was to come in 2011

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:13 am, edited 13 times in total.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:16 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Looks like it as the dates when they would return for filming would have been announced by now and it probably would have been next week...

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Mark wrote:
Looks like it as the dates when they would return for filming would have been announced by now and it probably would have been next week...

Unless they're keeping it a secret and plan to surprise us all with new shows...

Nah, would doubt it. They've messed it up too much from the original format. Box 23 I can cope with, the hour-long shows are just about bearable for me, and the offer button and "double trouble" weeks....just no.

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:00 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......
Forum Games Moderator

As the band 'The Answering Machine' put in their song 'Another City, Another Sorry' -

'...and it's over - it's over - it's over!'

It's a good song, by the way. But yeah, the goose is cooked, and really, it's burnt beyond edibility. Whizzer's six posts in five years tells enough of the story. We've said this in enough threads for enough months now, and the truth is that we probably can't let go of this show. We'll have to, whether we like it or not, and sometimes, that's the way it needs to be. :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

johnr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:35 am    Author: johnr    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Fiddling with the format too much and cautious players killed Millionaire too. ITV would shove an episode in here and there, more often than not 'celebrities who happened to be near Elstree at the time specials'

The money tree change wasn't a total disaster initially but then the question difficulty seemed to suddenly jump drastically and as for the clock...oh dear.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Millionaire was a complete let down after they introduced the clock and as for the family photos and webcam nonsense just... GO AWAY! :smt019

Fan of classic rock and metal

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:24 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Sadly, the same can be said about the US version of Millionaire. They changed the format WAY too much, first introducing the clock, then redesigning the money tree to make moderate results more likely like the UK version did in 2007, and then they completely abandoned the Millionaire formula all together by introducing the Super Mix format (and it tells you something that no other country has used that format). What really put the nail in the coffin, however, was not finding a suitable replacement after long running host Meredith Viera left. Cedric the Entertainer and Terry Crews did a terrible job as host, to the point that major markets lost interest in the show and either dropped it altogether or put it in a graveyard slot. They FINALLY brought back the classic format with a good host this season (though they kept that stupid Super Mix music :unsure ), but it's too little too late at this point. :(

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

selv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:25 pm    Author: selv    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Hi all,I totally agree that DOND is on its way out,various things they have done in the past couple of years ,especially the auditions had signed there death certificate.Sorry to say that if they would have had more audience participation then there wouldn't be a problem now. The reason I say this is because a new gameshow will be starting soon and the format gives more time with the audience, than the single player, and a couple of their family. ;) I went on Friday and if you are the type of person that likes a good time this is the one for you.It was a fantastic day..... :smt023 :smt023

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:54 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

selv wrote:
Hi all,I totally agree that DOND is on its way out,various things they have done in the past couple of years ,especially the auditions had signed there death certificate.Sorry to say that if they would have had more audience participation then there wouldn't be a problem now. The reason I say this is because a new gameshow will be starting soon and the format gives more time with the audience, than the single player, and a couple of their family. ;) I went on Friday and if you are the type of person that likes a good time this is the one for you.It was a fantastic day..... :smt023 :smt023

Are you referring to "Pick Me!" (i.e. the UK's version of Let's Make a Deal)? :ponder:

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:46 am    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

*Googles Pick Me*
Quote:
Pick Me! is a brand new gameshow with a difference. This raucous, fun-packed show will have all members of the audience shouting "Pick me" because anyone our host, Stephen Mulhern, chooses will come down and play. It's a fast-paced, game of wits with lots of chances to win.

PASS! :roll:

Fan of classic rock and metal

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:05 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

BankerSpanker wrote:
*Googles Pick Me*
Quote:
Pick Me! is a brand new gameshow with a difference. This raucous, fun-packed show will have all members of the audience shouting "Pick me" because anyone our host, Stephen Mulhern, chooses will come down and play. It's a fast-paced, game of wits with lots of chances to win.

PASS! :roll:

It hasn't been on TV yet and the shows that Stephen does on TV are good...

selv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:11 pm    Author: selv    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Absolutely spot on there Mark ,shame people judge before they see,but I reckon it will last longer than Divided/Ejector Seat/ or Common Denominator ever did ;) ...

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:18 pm    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Think Noel all but confirmed today's show was the last ever filmed with what he said at the end in "We do hope you have enjoyed all that we have done here in the dream factory" or WTTE

Think it's just a matter of when not if the end is officially confirmed very soon

IMO Box 23 and the offer button were just not needed as the show was going along just fine without them, not to mention very unfair on all those people who had played Deal pre-Box 23 and gone away with a pittance and not had the get out of jail card that Box 23 provided on occasions and then in effect causing players to become even more cautious than ever

(Well, maybe apart from that brief period after Ann and Harry played and everyone seemed to get a bit braver for a little bit before it all slumped again)

As the old saying goes, if it ain't broken don't try and fix it or WTTE

Of course TV shows have to evolve on occasion but the aforementioned gimmicks, coupled with Channel 4 completely mucking the show around in the schedules in terms of taking it off for horse racing and even closing down the weekend shows for good, has had the opposite effect and killed it stone dead to the point where we are just waiting for the hammer to fall now the trigger has been pulled for the end of the show

10 years is a good innings, just a shame it has to end this way for the show the way it's been treated in this Box 23/offer button era

You've been banker bashed
"Regrettably when he rings, he is laughing his designer socks off"

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:17 pm    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Bringing up a topic from various prior discussions - if filming HAS finished, I'm assuming there'd still be 21 players on the wings who haven't played their games. Did they just a consolation sum of money? Or were they replaced on the wings by, say, memorable ex-players? I know no-one will know - but I'm just curious.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:13 am    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

mr_northern_guy wrote:
Bringing up a topic from various prior discussions - if filming HAS finished, I'm assuming there'd still be 21 players on the wings who haven't played their games. Did they just a consolation sum of money? Or were they replaced on the wings by, say, memorable ex-players? I know no-one will know - but I'm just curious.

The leftover 21 will probably get the same treatment as the leftovers from the Double trouble specials: they'll be sent home with nothing and "be left thinking what could've been." :roll: :(

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:44 am    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

mr_northern_guy wrote:

When I was there one time, this was one of the questions that was brought up before a recording

Thankfully one of the executives was on the set, not sure if it was Richard or Glenn, and said one of the ideas they were considering was indeed bringing back ex players to open boxes when the last batch of contestants was being whittled down

psychokiller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:01 am    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

richie4eva1 wrote:
mr_northern_guy wrote:

When I was there one time, this was one of the questions that was brought up before a recording

Thankfully one of the executives was on the set, not sure if it was Richard or Glenn, and said one of the ideas they were considering was indeed bringing back ex players to open boxes when the last batch of contestants was being whittled down

Was Noel's show recorded quite close to those final June 2016 games? The ex-contestants in that show might well be the wingers in those swansong games.

Still be a bit awkward when it's the last player - all the wingers will be strangers to them. It will be a very lonely experience and a motivational chant of ''TAX FREE!'' from an elderly game show contestant from the Blair reign won't change this.

richie4eva1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:25 am    Author: richie4eva1    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

psychokiller wrote:

Was Noel's show recorded quite close to those final June 2016 games? The ex-contestants in that show might well be the wingers in those swansong games.

Still be a bit awkward when it's the last player - all the wingers will be strangers to them. It will be a very lonely experience and a motivational chant of ''TAX FREE!'' from an elderly game show contestant from the Blair reign won't change this.

I wouldn't know, my final pilgrimage was the beginning of last year ;)

Will be interesting to see what they actually do when the time comes and we get close to the end

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:20 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: The end of Deal or No Deal......

Well, it looks like i was right about the amount of horse-racing breaks, the extended 2 month+ summer (and early Autumn) break, the current break over Christmas and new year's being a sign that the show is being fazed out and slowly easing into an eventual cancellation

The way the show has gone lately, I have a feeling it will be an unceremonious end when the final episode airs, but i do hope the show does get a good send-off when the final episode hits the airwaves :( :smt023

I do agree that the gimmicks and weirdness since the end of 2013, in the form of box 23, the weekend shows suddenly being ditched for good, the offer button, the double trouble specials, the schedule becoming a mess thanks to the show taking breaks every second or third week so channel 4 can shove horse-racing in our faces, and the needless change of timeslot from 4.15pm to 1.10/2.10pm, have pretty much signed the show's death warrant

You know when get a show that peaks in its first couple of seasons and then starts to become boring or too weird after that? DoND is/was a good example of that

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]