Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What was the main thing that caused DoND to go downhill?
Too many gimmicks/artificial gameplay elements 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Sob Stories 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Too much padding 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
The Banker becoming annoying 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Too much silly behaviour 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cautious players / Variety thinning out 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
The show being fatigued by being run constantly between 2011 and 2013 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Constant breaks for horse racing telecasts 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
It just peaked in it's early seasons and naturally got stale afterwards 40%  40%  [ 13 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 32

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:34 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: What killed DoND?
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
JT in particular I think knew how poor his offer was, from his facial expressions...but was too polite to say it. I agree re that pattern beginning around the time of Trevor; if he'd played four months earlier, he'd have been looking at £30,000 or £40,000 with four blues and the quarter-million, not a stick at £9,900. By later standards, £9,900 was generous...

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What killed DoND?

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:16 am, edited 12 times in total.

Davao

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:48 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: What killed DoND?

By the time the Offer Button and 23 came the show already died, so it can't be blamed on that. I think that fun element was taken out of it and the unpredictability and thrills you had in the earlier seasons. I think it got stale as time went on because virtually everything was already accomplished so what else could they do with it? I also felt that DOND became tighter with money as time went on, as you saw less of big wins and things like it. It was always people taking the offer at 8 box or 5 box. There was no risk at all.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:32 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: What killed DoND?

Davao wrote:
I also felt that DOND became tighter with money as time went on, as you saw less of big wins and things like it. It was always people taking the offer at 8 box or 5 box. There was no risk at all.

People always assumed the recession was entirely to blame for this, but I felt DoND started to get tighter with money after the phone-in competition was scrapped - notice all the gimmicks, sob-stories, playings becoming more cautious etc. started almost immediately after the home viewer competition was axed? It just felt as if the show began to struggle with revenue from that point on and they began using (sometimes desperate) cost-cutting measures to help the show survive on a reduced budget as there weren't as many big wins or exciting games as there used to be

It got to the stage where people were (mostly) just taking the first offer of "good money" rather than playing the game statistically and at times i felt like they were deliberately trying to discourage players from gambling to save the show money, by having Noel and/or the wing contestants talk down the game by playing up the worst case scenario, the contestant in the chair's sentimental reasons for wanting money, how unbearable life would be for them if they played on and it went wrong and how "generous" the offers were (when they were like 15% of the average if that :roll: ) to get the person in the chair to deal

Davao

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:11 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: What killed DoND?

Another problem with these games, if a player won a blue in 1 game, then the next 3 or 4 games in a row would be people dealing at 8 box, or being cautious due to the previous game. It was kinda annoying how people got influenced by other games it's your own game, not theirs!

Stevo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:50 pm    Author: Stevo    Post subject: Re: What killed DoND?

For me, I suffered with DOND fatigue. Too many games, sometimes 6 days a week, some days with two shows in a day - it was on SO much in the earlier years.

I still think 5 shows a week, with the odd weekend special ( Easter Sunday / Bonfire Night / Christmas ) would have been more than enough. It got stale for that reason, but in addition the gimmicks took away the traditional feel.

Is still genuinely one of my favourite shows of all time. I will never forget the utterly captivating Game 362 with Sarah back in 2007 where she actually swapped for the £250k during the early part of the game!!!

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]