Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 19 posts ] 

Least Deserving £250,000 winner
Laura 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alice 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Suzanne 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Tegen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Nong 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Paddy 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Archstered

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:22 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

Warnings: 0
We have a thread for the penny, but what about the confetti?

Take part in the poll and discuss, for me it HAS to be Alice. In fact, i'm pretty sure nothing like the sort will EVER happen again.

Joel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:47 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

Well I don't think the term 'least deserving' should be used but if I had to, it'd definitely be Nong. Her final decisions were completely reckless.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

None for me.

Archstered

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:56 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

I can understand why people say Nong, she had no business being in live play at 5 box, let alone 2 box...

But there was just something fresh about it. Something innocent.

It wasn't forced, and it really captured what Deal is about, putting people out of their comfort zones.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

Alice - she should never have been offered the banker's gamble.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:54 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

Least deserving is the wrong phrase but I'm going for the QM win that was most contrived and that's Alice

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

I agree with everyone else. Alice won the £250,000 solely because of that RIDICULOUSLY generous Banker's Gamble. Had it not been for that, she just would've been one of the average games during that era. Here is my ranking of how deserved the £250,000 wins were:

Least: Alice, for reasons stated above.

2nd Least: Suzzane, for getting ridiculously low offers on a dream board, practically forcing her to 4 box at which point she figured she might as well go all way with life-changing money guaranteed. She even admitted in her post-game interview that she would've dealt at 5 box had she got a fair offer.

3rd Least: Laura, as she solely won the £250,000 solely because of the Banker's HUGE gamble in making a ridiculously low 2 box offer. Again, she admitted post-game that she would've dealt the final offer had it been £5,000 more.

3rd Most: Paddy, for similar reasons as Suzzane. However, he probably would've gone on at 5 box even if the offer was more fair (£60,000ish) given his determination.

2nd Most: Tegen. Like Paddy and Suzzane, she was given low offers on a dream board. However, they were slightly better than Paddy's and Suzzane's and she also had much determination. The only reason I'm putting hers above Paddy is because she had a slightly better show overall,

Most: Nong, without question. Unlike the others she wasn't egged on by poor offers. She received perfectly judged offers throughout but still turned them down, determined to change her and her mom's lives.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:26 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

American Coupon Boy wrote:
I agree with everyone else. Alice won the £250,000 solely because of that RIDICULOUSLY generous Banker's Gamble. Had it not been for that, she just would've been one of the average games during that era. Here is my ranking of how deserved the £250,000 wins were:

2nd Least: Suzzane, for getting ridiculously low offers on a dream board, practically forcing her to 4 box at which point she figured she might as well go all way with life-changing money guaranteed. She even admitted in her post-game interview that she would've dealt at 5 box had she got a fair offer.

3rd Least: Laura, as she solely won the £250,000 solely because of the Banker's HUGE gamble in making a ridiculously low 2 box offer. Again, she admitted post-game that she would've dealt the final offer had it been £5,000 more.

3rd Most: Paddy, for similar reasons as Suzzane. However, he probably would've gone on at 5 box even if the offer was more fair (£60,000ish) given his determination.

2nd Most: Tegen. Like Paddy and Suzzane, she was given low offers on a dream board. However, they were slightly better than Paddy's and Suzzane's and she also had much determination. The only reason I'm putting hers above Paddy is because she had a slightly better show overall,

Most: Nong, without question. Unlike the others she wasn't egged on by poor offers. She received perfectly judged offers throughout but still turned them down, determined to change her and her mom's lives.

I find your analysis pretty interesting. I'm surprised to see someone put Nong as most deserved, although in comparison to everyone else her offers were the most generous.

The banker is surprisingly stingy on £20k/£250k finishes.

Skyline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:26 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?
Forum Games Moderator

None. Dumb thread is dumb.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:35 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

I don't really think any of the £250k wins are 'undeserved'. But Nong's would probably be the most hard earned £250k win as she made questionable decisions unlike Laura who was given a joke offer at 2-box, Alice who had a pretty easy Banker's Gamble, and the other three were spurred on by poor offers on a strong board

matt26

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:01 am    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

'Undeserving' is pretty harsh, but in terms of which was the most ridiculous, it has to be Alice's.

She'd already had a hypo offer of 30k after dealing for 17.5k, yet he went for the Banker's Gamble anyway?!

Laura's, IMO, wasn't as bad as many say because: a) she was risking a potential 42k on a coinflip, more than twice what Alice risked AND b) she'd already turned down £19,999 on a 10p/£750/3k/5k/250k 5-box - a pretty generous offer, all things considered.

StatsMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 pm    Author: StatsMan    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

Alice's certainly smacked of desperation of the producers to create another quarter-millionaire after 600+ shows since Laura, and to create a talking point of some controversy. And in fairness, it probably did bring some extra viewers back to the show. Gotta be the least deserving for me.

Biggest Pilgrim Game Wins:

Marlene - 21 July 2013: £118,000
Gill - 23 March 2014: £75,000
Tony - 24 April 2012: £72,000
Lee - 4 April 2013: £48,000
Tommy & Jen - 26 & 27 Mar 2013 :O - £45,000! :O :O

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:43 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?
Forum Games Moderator

Saperogo wrote:

I find your analysis pretty interesting. I'm surprised to see someone put Nong as most deserved, although in comparison to everyone else her offers were the most generous.

Tell that to Morris. ;) :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:51 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

daniel123 wrote:
Saperogo wrote:

Tell that to Morris. ;) :smt023

And Bunney. ;) ;) :smt023 :smt023

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:18 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?
Forum Games Moderator

Why yes! How could I forget? :shock: :P

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:52 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?

Any post-Bunney, pre-Roy game you want to bring up? :P

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?
Forum Games Moderator

How about...

Lynn! :-D

KP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:25 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?
International Forums Moderator

Ultimately for any QM win either the player or the Banker has to make a mistake - so all six winners could be considered "undeserving" in a way if you're really cruel. Although the Banker didn't really make a massive mistake with Tegen until 2-box, when it may not have mattered, and between that and her back story I'm confident in saying she's the most deserving.

I'll put down Nong as least deserving because it was the only QM win where the mistake came from the player rather than the Banker.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:15 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Worst/Least deserving quarter-millionaire?
Forum Games Moderator

Skyline wrote:
How about...

Lynn! :-D

Funny that actually; Lynn's (1) game is rarely ever mentioned, yet it was a spectacular OPW achieved against a very difficult backdrop. There was a good deal of ACB's 'bravery' involved to go on at 5-box, too, if I recall correctly.

Also, I went for Alice. Didn't see it personally but it was clearly a mistake by Mr Banksy with the BG there. Don't understand whatever his reasoning may have been for that. :ponder: (Other than the cynical "Come on Glenn, let's rake in a few thousand more viewers to this sinking ship"....) ;)

[ 19 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]