Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 pm Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:09 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 10 posts ] 

Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k was...
Reasonable 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Questionable 28%  28%  [ 4 ]
Reckless 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Something else 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

hogwild94

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:30 pm    Author: hogwild94    Post subject: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k
Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I usually abstain in these, but that doesn't mean I won't set them up. What do you think about Jolene's 4-box call? :smt023

Check out SLUDGE for original, non-cover rock music!

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:33 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k

Reasonable. If she had the £250,000 then most likely she would have won it.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k
Forum Games Moderator

When I only have one box to open at a time when I'm playing the US version of DoND, I feel much too confident for my own good. This probably was the case for Jolene.

I voted "Questionable", even if I would've probably done the same.

KP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:41 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k
International Forums Moderator

Reasonable, if only because of the guaranteed doubling for the penny implying a significant uplift for either of the other safe boxes.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k

Definitely reasonable.

EV at 4-box is somewhere around the £22-24k mark so mathematically worth the gamble. If you can afford to take the 1/4 risk of losing £19k, no qualms with the no deal.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:19 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k

Absolutely reasonable. There were A LOT of peanuts/$250k 4 case boards on the U.S. syndicated version and everyone who was in that scenario got offered $22,000+, so in comparison the Banker's offer today was pretty stingy.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:01 am    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k

If it were two boxes to open then I'd have gone for questionable.

As it was one box I would say it was reasonable.

Fan of classic rock and metal

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:37 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k

I thought it was reckless. On that board, I'd have expected an offer of £15,000, despite the presence of the £250,000. The Banker is known for his stinginess, and even if he lowballs an offer, that would be instant deal bait for me, cautious person that I am.

The game freaks me out. You're looking at the person who'd be so terrified, he'd take literally any offer due to extreme fear of failure. If I'd have been offered £8,000 on that board, I'd have taken it.

You think the people who play the game today or cautious? I'm even worse. I'd be in ACB's Horrible Deals Club for sure.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:32 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k
Forum Games Moderator

I voted 'questionable'. There's no way in this world it was absolutely reasonable. Not one iota.

There was a degree of sense in it, true, but putting as much as she did on the line? Haha, aha, er, no. Not for me any more, thanks. I'm off to the proverbial hills with my £11,500. :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

rico7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 am    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: Jolene's NO DEAL to £19k

I think it was reasonable. It always helps if the banker tells you what the uplift would be. If she hadn't picked out the 250K I think she would have dealt at 3 box if the offer was in the 30Ks as I think it would have been.
In a one box at a time scenario at 5 box with one significant red left I would usually go on until 3 box and no further as the odds are more in your favour.

[ 10 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]