Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:50 am Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:50 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

Warnings: 0
KP wrote:
One I'd forgotten about that was high-stakes but statistically questionable - £22,150 for Tony in January 2011 with the top four at 8-box. Also notable for something I've often wondered about happening, but which I'd forgotten actually did happen before - a 5-box undeal offer! That was (at least consistently) rejected too (with three blues, £50k, and £250k, but also the promise of 4- and 3-box offers).

Deals for over £20,000 generally shouldn't be considered horrible as that is life-changing changing money for most people and it is understandably too much for some people to risk when a blue win is possible. Michael's £24,000 Deal is only included because he was guaranteed £10,000 AND it was a horrible offer for the board.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Joel

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:35 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

How about horrible no deals? Anyone have a list of the few idiots that have turned down AMOs?

Not forgetting Kerry-Anne, of course...

KP

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:43 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club
International Forums Moderator

Madie (aka the infamous "Player 14" who hilariously asked for all details of his game to be removed from Bother's Bar, presumably after he realised what the heck he'd done), also notable for then hilariously dealing a rather ordinary 2-box offer on blue/£15k.

Two who managed it at 11-box in the ridiculous early 2007 fever - Dennis (who went on to be the inaugural 50p winner) and... I forget her name but it was £30k on a board which was missing only one decent red... but that red was the £250k.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:58 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

KP wrote:
Madie (aka the infamous "Player 14" who hilariously asked for all details of his game to be removed from Bother's Bar, presumably after he realised what the heck he'd done), also notable for then hilariously dealing a rather ordinary 2-box offer on blue/£15k.

Two who managed it at 11-box in the ridiculous early 2007 fever - Dennis (who went on to be the inaugural 50p winner) and... I forget her name but it was £30k on a board which was missing only one decent red... but that red was the £250k.

Don't forget the 4 members of the reckless £50,000 winners club, Barry from April 2007, Jean from 2010, and Rich and Scott from 2012.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

KP

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club
International Forums Moderator

I think only Rich turned down an AMO there, though Scott Brown turned down exactly the mean (with a blue kicker no less)...

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

Anyone ever heard of a guy named Jeff, errr?

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:56 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

Updated to include £3k David (November 2008), £20k Wilf (May 2011), £1.25k Rosie (August 2011), £15k Geoff (November 2011) and £6k Tia who became the lowest seller of the jackpot today.

Joel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

I don't think Tia should be on here. If she didn't have the £250k in her box she certainly wouldn't be... If she took out the £250k it would have been basically game over, so it wasn't horrible, but it was cautious.

matt26

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:30 am    Author: matt26    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

One deal which still sticks in my mind as extremely odd (which is weird given that it's not exactly a memorable game) is Terri's way back in May 2006. She dealt at £3.8k on a £750/15k finish - a cautious decision in itself, but what made the deal so unusual was how she'd previously turned down offers of 20k and 10k which were a fair bit more generous considering the 8-box and 5-box boards she had.

From June 2006, Stevie's deal was also very unusual - having turned down offers of 21k and 11k, she took 1.3k on a £500/3k finish.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:32 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

matt26 wrote:
One deal which still sticks in my mind as extremely odd (which is weird given that it's not exactly a memorable game) is Terri's way back in May 2006. She dealt at £3.8k on a £750/15k finish - a cautious decision in itself, but what made the deal so unusual was how she'd previously turned down offers of 20k and 10k which were a fair bit more generous considering the 8-box and 5-box boards she had.

From June 2006, Stevie's deal was also very unusual - having turned down offers of 21k and 11k, she took 1.3k on a £500/3k finish.

I usually won't include 2 box Deals on the list as they are a straight 50/50 and the offers usually aren't terrible enough to call it statistically Horrible to Deal at that point.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:13 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club
Forum Games Moderator

I'm not sure "horrible" is a statistical term, to be fair. :ponder: :lol:

I would agree re Stevie....it just seemed rather defeatist, especially given that even now, I would decline that £1,300 in the blink of an eye knowing I at least had £500. That said, I wouldn't have made it to that point, I don't think.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:25 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

I though Bianca who dealt at £2,000 on a £1,000/£3,000 final two (whose game will be 7 years ago on Sunday! :shock:) was a bit odd. In fact, i think it always seems a bit odd to deal on a final 2 that's 2 amounts next to each other as it's pretty much a win-win situation anyway :)

Some more to add are

Dave (September 2011) - His deal for £35,000 on the £15,000/£75,000 ending was pretty lowly really, but what made it seem more odd was the fact he declined a very generous offer at 5-box (£14,000 at 5-box with only £15,000 & £75,000 above it) and then dealt for a pretty crap offer on a strong finish

Glen (February 2006) - We go back to the early days of the show here, but his 8-box deal of £9,000 with £15,000/£35,000/£75,000/£100,000 still above it and £3,000 below it was pretty bad and i think even a mediocre round might've yielded a better offer if he was still in play. Also he turned down some better offers earlier in the game which makes it an even more baffling deal!

Maureen (January 2009) - Dealt at £7,000 at 5-box with £10,000/£35,000/£50,000 still above it

And if declining a banker's gamble counts, there was a young lady who played just before Xmas last year and she dealt at 5-box for a lowly sum of £1,300 or something like that, and then she declined an easy BG at 2-box which had a high red and £3,000!

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:08 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

KP wrote:

Oh yes that was Sheran you're talking about who had all reds accept £3,000 (i think) and £250,000 at 11-box, giving her the AMO of £30,000. And at 10-box her sole blue was the 1p....which she brought to the table!

It was really saddening to hear of Sheran's passing in summer 2010 too :(

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:17 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club
Forum Games Moderator

JamesJMH91 wrote:
In fact, i think it always seems a bit odd to deal on a final 2 that's 2 amounts next to each other as it's pretty much a win-win situation anyway :)

Igor might disagree. :suspect: :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:01 pm    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

Today's game can be added to the list.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:04 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

I don't think it was horrible.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:40 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club
Forum Games Moderator

Today's deal "horrible"?! :shock: :smt078 :smt011

Utterly awful thinking. Absolutely, ineffably, frankly ludicrous, farcical thinking.

A man with no money - at all - takes £26,000. Twenty-six thousand pounds. With a board where it very plausibly could have gone horribly wrong if he'd declined it. A horrible deal? Dear Moses above, what on Earth are you people on?! :smt009

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:43 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club
Forum Games Moderator

OK, on reflection (checking Deal-Eye... :suspect: ) I can see how it's a statistically poor decision.
Which it was. Fair enough, I acknowledge that.

But given his situation, it was never a 'horrible' decision to make at all. It was more 'questionable' but given he had no money whatsoever, actually 'understandable' rather than 'horrible'.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

I'm tempted to include today's Deal on the list, but I won't as £26,000 is a very large sum of money to risk and is larger than the starting average. It is, however, the easiest £100,000 win ever squandered.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:32 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Horrible Deals Club

In honor of the 1st anniversary of Zara's game, I'm granting her membership to the Club. :lol: :twisted:

[ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]