Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Saperogo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

Warnings: 0
Everyone's reactions to recent games have annoyed me more than the games themselves.

Everyone.

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Rant thread
Forum Games Moderator

Saperogo wrote:
Everyone's reactions to recent games have annoyed me more than the games themselves.

Everyone.

....Not guilty? :shock: :smt009

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

I was not happy with Noel being so negative in Dave's game.
"That decision could haunt you for the rest of your life."

A bit of positivity would've been nice.

Fan of classic rock and metal

norwichdonder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 am    Author: norwichdonder    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

BankerSpanker wrote:

Remember Noel is a consummate panto actor and it's his role to play devils advocate. A foil to the banker. I was going to say he's toned down the rhetoric a lot, if you compare to say 2008/11 era. Does anyone agree with that? I will always clearly remember the show when he turned to the camera during the intro and screamed/cried "will players get some bravery".

James1978

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:17 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

norwichdonder wrote:
BankerSpanker wrote:

Remember Noel is a consummate panto actor and it's his role to play devils advocate. A foil to the banker. I was going to say he's toned down the rhetoric a lot, if you compare to say 2008/11 era. Does anyone agree with that? I will always clearly remember the show when he turned to the camera during the intro and screamed/cried "will players get some bravery".

Oh god, you're spot on - the Challenge repreats are currently in early 2007, and Noel is ranting at people dealing massive life-changing sums like £30 - £50k if there happens to be more in the box and shouting "It's not enough!!" when they take out values like £100k and £75k in proveout - and basically calls the players idiots when the banker says he would have offered an AMO proveout lie. :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Saperogo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:07 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

Saperogo wrote:

Everyone.

This statement was hyperbole, but I'm really more frustrated at everyone's inflated expectations here than at the gameplay.

Yes, the offers have been pretty low. Yes, the players have been playing very cautiously. Yes, it's frustrating that we haven't seen the same elements of risk that this show had when it first started. I completely agree with these points.

However, many people here seem to believe that we must ridicule everyone on the show for the moment for not delivering the games that we think we want. If you can just take a moment to step back and imagine that you were one of these players who played their game and won, say, £26,000, and you happened to look on this forum to gauge how people thought of your game, how would you feel?

Are these decisions statistically questionable? Sure. Does that give us the right to ridicule the players? I don't think so. You can be polite and say "Well, that was a questionable decision, but at least she got a really big sum out of this game," or you can be a jerk and say "What?! How dare she consider dealing that offer! And to deal it as well! What an idiot! She deserves whatever happens to her!"

People also need to remember that we've seen several spankings this past month for these "statistically questionable" decisions. Instead of praising these games, we just spout stuff like "That wasn't the prove-out this player deserved" or "I'M DONE WITH THIS GAME :smt011 ". Why on earth can't we be nice to people when they they played their game perfectly?

All I'm saying is that we need to remember that PEOPLE are playing this game; not machines; not robots; not Deal-Eye; not us (though I will concede that we are indeed people). If you aren't happy with the going-ons of the games, then get on the show and play your own game.

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:40 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Rant thread
Forum Games Moderator

The cult has finally got to me. I will confess several things.

We have "17-box", 14-box, 11-box, 16-box, anything bloody -box. It's one of the most annoying turns of phrase I've ever been subjected to a barrage of.
We get frustrated when there's a break at 6 minutes past 4pm, or 26 minutes past, or any time at all. Fair enough, I don't think there should be breaks, but it leads onto point number three:
EVERYTHING IS SAID AND DONE BY THE CLOCK! "Oh, it's 23 minutes past, that means she'll deal at 12-box" or "Oh, it's 42 minutes past 4, so it'll be one box at a time, or some twist will happen". NO!
99.99% of the time what is predicted does not occur. I have proof - look at, er, actually every single commentary thread of the last seven years.

We're pissed off when people don't register outright perfect OPWs. We have a set way of scoring a game - OPW, OBW, TPW, TBW, OBL, OPL, OD - it's wonderful but we take it too seriously! It's a game show! Who gives a damn how a section of obsessed individuals (us) scores one episode of a game show? Only us. And there aren't many of us at all.
What I'm saying is we take it so seriously we fail to realise one thing - it does not matter!

We have Fair Deal, EV, Volatility. Self-created devices to aid our statistical view of the game. How to gauge an offer's generosity, how to tell exactly how volatile the board is, playing around with different configurations - but it doesn't matter. Again, we fail to realise this.

I feel like saying to one or two people, "Hey, step outside the living room, there's a whole house out there. And if you open the front door - the world! :o :o ".

It's a game of Deal or No Deal.
It's a forum for fans of Deal or No Deal.

I don't care if you're upset at an ad break, or frustrated at the clock. But hear me now when I say this - neither does anybody else.

It does not matter.

Rant over.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

stewartw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:02 pm    Author: stewartw    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

daniel123 wrote:
The cult has finally got to me. I will confess several things.

We have "17-box", 14-box, 11-box, 16-box, anything bloody -box. It's one of the most annoying turns of phrase I've ever been subjected to a barrage of.
We get frustrated when there's a break at 6 minutes past 4pm, or 26 minutes past, or any time at all. Fair enough, I don't think there should be breaks, but it leads onto point number three:
EVERYTHING IS SAID AND DONE BY THE CLOCK! "Oh, it's 23 minutes past, that means she'll deal at 12-box" or "Oh, it's 42 minutes past 4, so it'll be one box at a time, or some twist will happen". NO!
99.99% of the time what is predicted does not occur. I have proof - look at, er, actually every single commentary thread of the last seven years.

We're pissed off when people don't register outright perfect OPWs. We have a set way of scoring a game - OPW, OBW, TPW, TBW, OBL, OPL, OD - it's wonderful but we take it too seriously! It's a game show! Who gives a damn how a section of obsessed individuals (us) scores one episode of a game show? Only us. And there aren't many of us at all.
What I'm saying is we take it so seriously we fail to realise one thing - it does not matter!

We have Fair Deal, EV, Volatility. Self-created devices to aid our statistical view of the game. How to gauge an offer's generosity, how to tell exactly how volatile the board is, playing around with different configurations - but it doesn't matter. Again, we fail to realise this.

I feel like saying to one or two people, "Hey, step outside the living room, there's a whole house out there. And if you open the front door - the world! :o :o ".

It's a game of Deal or No Deal.
It's a forum for fans of Deal or No Deal.

I don't care if you're upset at an ad break, or frustrated at the clock. But hear me now when I say this - neither does anybody else.

It does not matter.

Rant over.

:o *applauds* :smt023

Don't get me started on so-called 'spankings' *shudders*

For the record I have been on here 2 years and still have no idea what most of those three-letter abbreviations are simply because I clearly am not that 'devoted'. I have made my views on DOND quite well known on here but I have never condoned the vitriol directed towards some players, especially when it turns out they actually made very decent decisions. It is frustrating I get that, when the frugal deals seem so frequent at times, and I think it has hampered the programme. But ridiculing them or somehow construing it as abject failure in a random game is stupid.

It's not the only game show subject to intense scrutiny though, to be fair. Countdown is insane with graphs, charts, running totals, and they have all sorts of terms; Maxes, Darrens, Flats, Niners, Ambulances to name but a few. And the comments make my skin crawl. 'I can't believe they picked a consonant in that last round as had they saved the S for the next one they'd have got a nine!!!,' 'WOOOO I got the highest possible score today and beat these awful contestants, because you see, I've played 5,000 games online and they played like they'd done barely 1,000!', that kind of thing. Suffice to say I didnt hang around there very long.

Thankfully though this sort of thing does not pervade onto Countdown itself, which cannot be said for DOND. I've said before about how many times big wins are presented as failure and this irritates me.

Last edited by stewartw on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:02 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

"Predictable one-box at a time"
"Predictable something extra happening at 5-box"
"Predictable break coming"
"Predictable deal at X-box"
"Predictable deal/crash after the break."

Getting real sick of seeing that EVERY thread!
As for those abbreviations, I don't even use them.

Joel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:06 pm    Author: Joel    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

As much as I agree with the best part of that rant, assuming that just because someone takes an interest in the stats side of the show means that they don't 'go outside', is a very, very futile thing to say.

Saperogo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:12 pm    Author: Saperogo    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

daniel123 wrote:

The worst is when these figures are ignored. I've seen at least one instance of an offer of about 106% the fair deal being criticized for being "statistically poor". It seems people don't really have a grasp of statistics at all.

There's a lot of "the offer should've been £xxx" going on lately, but how does one come up with such a figure? Is it based on how you internally feel the offer should be, or are you basing it on how you think the offer would be if it were the 20xx banker (perhaps the banker at the time you started watching)? Such decisions on what offers "should be" don't seem to be based at all on mathematics or statistics, but rather on some internal perception of "this is what the offer should be".

Archstered

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 pm    Author: Archstered    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

JoelDavies wrote:
As much as I agree with the best part of that rant, assuming that just because someone takes an interest in the stats side of the show means that they don't 'go outside', is a very, very futile thing to say.

Well said Joel, It's as if people on here are starting to turn on each other... Not good.

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Rant thread
Forum Games Moderator

JoelDavies wrote:

As much is true. I wouldn't call that assumption futile as much as plain wrong - but it's not the assumption I was attempting to make.

This forum knows my situation; my personality; most of what happens in my life, actually - and that isn't much. I take an interest in the stats side of the game, very much so; it's an attraction to me. And I didn't go out for the first 17 years of my life. I do more now, but with selected people, at selected times and to selected places.

My comment was aimed at those who - and a gentleman doesn't name and shame - I believe are particularly vehement in their abject vitriol against anything and everything the player or anyone else - including forum members - does or contemplates doing. The people who can't seem to stop, no matter what anyone else says or does.

Certainly I didn't project it hitting the statisticians; though I do think we need to realise that we needn't take the game so seriously as we often do.

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:41 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Rant thread
Forum Games Moderator

Also, I really don't want to look as if I'm turning on people here. I'm not.

My dream, as you know, is the growth of this place back to somewhere near what it was 'then'. Thriving, bustling with life, constantly active, and alive. Which it's faded from in recent years. But I believe we can bring back the good times of old.

That entails, from my perspective at least, us all managing to coexist in this environment with minimal conflict. So why would I take a punt at several forum members here? In truth, my post probably looks like that, but I didn't fully intend for it to.
I meant it as a swipe at the cult of the show - and as an alarm bell to signal the cult we, too, appear to have slipped into.

This is nothing personal against anyone. It's a different take on the sort of protocol we go by on this forum, and more importantly, and relevantly, that of the show. It's a take which calls up some of the turns of phrase we use here that I know a fair few members are frustrated with.

True, I went out on a limb and risked a backlash with what I've said, but I'm open to hearing others' views on it. It was intended to open dialogue and it's done that.

If I've said something that anyone takes offence to, I'll accept that and apologise for it. My 'go outside' remark in particular was probably quite harsh, so I apologise for that.

Skyline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:59 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Rant thread
Forum Games Moderator

All these years and I still don't get what a TPW/TBW is... :shock: :lol:

Or an OD.

...or an EV.

:smt105

KP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:09 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Rant thread
International Forums Moderator

T(P/B)W = Technical (Player/Banker) Win. When the player makes a profit on the box but there was a higher offer, it's usually one of these two. If the Banker saved more than he paid out, it's a TBW; if the Banker paid out more than he saved, it's a TPW; if the two are equal, it's a technical draw.

So if someone dealt at £26k, and could've had £52k, that's a draw (the Banker paid out £26k and saved £26k); if the top of the game was £62.5k, that's a TBW (the Banker saved £36.5k); if the top of the game was £35k, it's a TPW (Banker only saved £9k).

OD is when the box is sold for its value, I think. Both types of draw are rare, but amusingly I saw both within my first three pilgrim shows!

And EV is Expected Value, the mean of the anticipated offers at the next phone call. It's usually used at 5-box, or in games with bonus offers, as there's ten or fewer permutations then, compared to 56 at 8-box.

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:09 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

Try this new one on for size:

GGW - Gamble Gone Wrong.

Pretty much self-explanatory. It happens at least once a week on this program.

daniel123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:20 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Rant thread
Forum Games Moderator

An inspired signature, Mr 5ive? ;) :suspect:

I wish you the best of luck with bringing GGW to the fore. In my recollection, several (at least several) abbreviations have been suggested in the time since the current scoring system was established, all of which have found their way to the scrap heap quicker than Noel shut up about "FMQM" after Monday's show. It's certainly worth a go, though.

Not only that, it's simple. Which most of our terms aren't, to the uneducated viewer at least. :smt023

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:26 am    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

I honestly used to think that OPW stood for Obvious Player Win, until someone told me the actual meaning. But if you think about it, my interpretation of that acronym isn't that far off ;).

And about my current signature text, it's taken almost eight years for someone to notice it. I tend to put random quotes or non-sequiturs in my signature, just to see if anyone will notice.

I'm a big fan of Whose Line is it, Anyway?, which was recently revived here in North America. I also do improv with a group once a month, so that's also what alludes to.

Good eye as usual, Mr. K. :smt023

BankerSpanker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:07 pm    Author: BankerSpanker    Post subject: Re: Rant thread

Just want to bring up something that's annoying me on this forum. Stupid posts like:
Quote:
'[player name] x3............................'

*insert nonsense here about player not having the guts*

'[player name] x3............................'

*insert nonsense here about how a certain gamble was worth a punt*

We don't need this rubbish! :smt011

[ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]