Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:25 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
I think there must be some occasions in September or October when DOND episodes aren't being shown, or there are extra episodes, or somethng, because some of the information about the dates seems to be slightly contradictory.

I've come to the conclusion that Noel did indeed miss 15 shows when he was ill, not 17, and also that they come back after the summer break on Tue-29-Aug, i.e. they're not showing it on Bank Holiday Mon-28-Aug... but I thought they showed it anyway on bank holidays?

Anyway, if you've been to see a recording of DOND in the past couple of months, do please post a brief message saying when you went and the date of the episode you saw being recorded...

I've updated the dates table in the first post of this thread. Look what DOND's done to me! Turned me into a saddo trying to work out when it was recorded! :oops: Well, I hope it's of some use to someone... it is, isn't it?;-) :-D

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:36 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject:

I'm sure they were asking Gaz last week about his experiences since being on the show, but his Hall of Fame show was recorded a full month before his game actually aired. So the impact of being recognised etc. was still a long way off at that stage, as he hadn't even appeared in the wings let alone been seen on TV winning £100,000. :?

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:47 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Yeh, I know, that's what I thought. And didn't Noel ask him how the ice cream business is going? And Gaz said that it'd been a good summer up until now? Summer? It was April at the time! :-D

And the same for Kirsty's game, her Hall of Fame episode tonight was recorded only a week after her game was aired!

And also Morris would've been in a similar position to Gaz, the contestants and the audience wouldn't have even known who he was, because his game wasn't aired until about three weeks after filming his Hall of Fame episode.

Domino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:19 am    Author: Domino    Post subject:

Why do they record the programmes so far ahead of transmission? I could understand a buffer of, say, a week or two between recording and transmission, but why three/four months? It only leads to ludicrous instructions to the audience like asking them to wear autumn clothes in the middle of summer. And press leaks about big winners become more likely.

Its like Who Wants to be a Millionaire. We knew in advance when Judith Keppel won the first million because it had been pre recorded and the result leaked to the press.

And isn't it a bit risky being so specific about the transmission day (eg welcome to the Saturday edition)? What if there were a major power cut at 4.15 on a Friday at Channel Four and that days episode couldnt be shown?

The next days episode would have Noel referring back to an edition that nobody had seen.

Or does Noel do six takes of the introduction to each show?

ie

Hello and welcome to the Monday edition.
Hello and welcome to the Tuesday edition
Hello and welcome to the Wednesday edition

etc etc etc

Having said all that, I still think its a superb show. :D

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:13 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Domino wrote:
Why do they record the programmes so far ahead of transmission? I could understand a buffer of, say, a week or two between recording and transmission, but why three/four months? It only leads to ludicrous instructions to the audience like asking them to wear autumn clothes in the middle of summer. And press leaks about big winners become more likely.

When they started DOND last October, the recordings were done only a few days in advance. But since then, as they record 15 a week, 2 weeks on, 1 week off, the gap between recording and transmitting has increased.

As there is an on-screen summer break lasting about a month, they jumped from being three months ahead to being four months ahead when they finished filming on 16th June.

When they start filming again in October, they will once again be only a few days in advance, and then the gap will increase the more they record.

It's also to do with the availability of the contestants. If they recorded, say, only 6 episodes a week, or even did 1 week on 1 week off with 15 episiodes a week, it would mean that the contestants would have to be involved with DOND for potentially 6 weeks or more, which is consdierably more than the 3 /4 weeks that DOND contestants currently have to dedicate to it.

And, Noel Edmonds has other business interests too - so no doubt he appreciates the June - October filming break to have a holiday and concentrate on his other business interests.

Domino wrote:
Its like Who Wants to be a Millionaire. We knew in advance when Judith Keppel won the first million because it had been pre recorded and the result leaked to the press.

That is the reason I knew when I was watching Morris' £20k-£250k game, and Kirsty's £75k-£250k game, that they didn't win the £250k, because I hadn't heard about it in the press. DOND is now so popular, that the press are likely to report it when (and if?!) it does actually happen.

domino wrote:
And isn't it a bit risky being so specific about the transmission day (eg welcome to the Saturday edition)? What if there were a major power cut at 4.15 on a Friday at Channel Four and that days episode couldnt be shown?

I'd imagine that, say Monday's episode wasn't shown for whatever reason, they'd show Monday's episode on Tuesday, Tues on Wed, Wed on Thurs, Thurs on Fri, and then have a double-bill of Friday's and Saturday's episodes on Saturday, to catch up.

Yes, it would mean that Noel would be announcing it's the wrong day, but they could edit it out at the last minute. I mean, if they can "insert" extra commercial breaks, they can do anything! It wouldn't really matter anyway even if he did announce it was a Monday on a Tuesday or whatever, it'd just be a bit confusing, that's all. And it would be fairly obvious that the epiodes have been delayed if they couldn't show an episode on one day for whatever reason.

The double-bill catch up on Saturday would be much easier than trying to show a double-bill catch up on a weekday, as the Saturday schedule is much more flexible. I doubt they'd just cancel the missed episode altogether... well, at least, I hope they wouldn't do that! :?

domino wrote:
The next days episode would have Noel referring back to an edition that nobody had seen.

Or does Noel do six takes of the introduction to each show?

ie

Hello and welcome to the Monday edition.
Hello and welcome to the Tuesday edition
Hello and welcome to the Wednesday edition

etc etc etc

I doubt it, as they'd have to show the missed episode, otherwise it wouldn't be fair on the contestant whose show it is. And he also makes reference to the day more than once throughout the programme - e.g. on 4 July, when talking to the Banker (I think) he referred to Independence Day, etc.

Quote:
Having said all that, I still think its a superb show. :D

So do I! :-D

Domino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:32 am    Author: Domino    Post subject:

Many thanks, h2005.

Countdown has the same problem with recording so far in advance. Des refers to events happening on the day of transmission, even though it is recorded weeks before.

It was very sad when Richard Whiteley died, and they had several episodes in the can which they showed. It was poignant to hear him talking about things happening "today" when he had died weeks before.

:cry: :cry:

clarky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:31 pm    Author: clarky    Post subject: Filming Dates

Only 2 shows were recorded on May 5th due to the studio being too hot so the last show of the day was cancelled (an old lady fainted). i was in the audience to support Sarah (currently opening boxes) and her show will be aired September 7th - go Sarah!!!! Don;t worry - no spoilers willbe given ;)

daniel4389

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:19 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Ah, so I guess they did record on 14th April and 1st May, even though they were bank holidays. That's the only way the dates list makes sense, anyway!

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:26 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

There's also the complication of Noel being ill, which meant that a whole week was cancelled, as well as possibly a couple of other recordings being cancelled on one of the days just before he was ill. I'm confused.... :? :smt102

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:46 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Ah! Got it! Thanks to clarky, it all makes sense now! Clarky told me that Sarah's game was recorded on 16/5, and will be shown on 7/9, and the confusion I had about what some other people on here told me has been cleared up due to the fact that I now know the last recording of 5/5 was cancelled! And it also appears that Noel missed 15 shows when he was ill, not 17 as it wa sreported in a newspaper article I think.

I'll update the table in the first post of this thread shortly...

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:44 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

Bump!

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:26 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

What doesn't seem to add up about the days' line-ups are the fact that the box changes being introduced (i.e. the amounts in colour and the amounts on a spring) seemed to happen in the middle of a day.

Would have thought they'd have occurred at the start of a new recording week - but then again, maybe it was deliberate to make it so the changes occurred on a Monday?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:58 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

James1978 wrote:
What doesn't seem to add up about the days' line-ups are the fact that the box changes being introduced (i.e. the amounts in colour and the amounts on a spring) seemed to happen in the middle of a day.

Would have thought they'd have occurred at the start of a new recording week - but then again, maybe it was deliberate to make it so the changes occurred on a Monday?

Yeah. I think they did it so it changed on a Monday on screen - changing mid-week on screen would've been a bit odd. LOL!!! :-D

daniel4389

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:21 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Just to confirm that the filming dates table is accurate...someone I know saw Adam's game on the 18th of May, and only saw that one, which means it must have been the first one recorded, I think.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:06 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:

I think it goes AWOL soon, though, something doesn't add up somewhere from what I've heard about the dates people have seen episodes being recorded at the end of May / early June...of course the table isn't allowing for these rumoured Sunday episodes, so that could be why it goes AWOL.

Domino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:42 am    Author: Domino    Post subject:

Have they started recording again? No doubt we will find out if anyone wins the 250k through leaks in the papers.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:02 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject:

Oooh, I didn't realise that the shows on now were just after the time when Noel was ill! I didn't notice any difference. :?

Billy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:11 am    Author: Billy    Post subject:

I thought something was odd when someone gave the date for Khanny's game in his episode thread, and it was early June - I thought "Hang on, I'm sure a few episodes ago we were only in mid May!".

So the last game he recorded before falling ill was Emi's game (he probably wanted our first 50p winner too), and his first show back was Barbara's. And the gap of over two weeks was completely unnoticeable, at least in my eyes.

h2005

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:45 am    Author: h2005    Post subject:

I couldn't see any difference in Noel. They start recording again in October.

James1978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:02 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject:

Was it Wednesday's show Ashley disappeared on? That would make me think that show would have been a new day, or even week? I couldn't see him being there for the first show of the day then not there for the second if he was on court duty?

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

[ 554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]