Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jonny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: Val 27/08

Warnings: 0
redrum666 wrote:
jonny wrote:
I don't know why everyone whinges about the sob stories...you do realise that this show is watched by pensioners? Therefore, sob stories = more pensioners who watch = more money. Believe it or not, they don't care about the young contingent around here who are sick of them...we're a minority!

Pensioners don't like doom and gloom rammed down their throats every afternoon, that's a fallacy. All these sob stories do is remind them that they're close to kicking the bucket as well. What tripe.

Don't be so negative. Haven't you noticed that the 'sob stories' are actually framed very positively? It's not like 'And today we have Katy, who has no arms and legs, and who's just lost all her family in an arsen attack' - it's 'this player has been through a tough time because of x and y dying...oh look how well they're coping, they're carrying on the memory of x and y - they want to dedicate this to relative x and that to relative y'. It's all sentimental - pensioners love that crap.

Anyway, reading these today's show threads are more depressing than watching the show itself!

23rd, 24th and 25th of July 2008 (Adam, Helen, William) recorded 7th April 2008

18th, 19th and 20th May 2009 (Cath, Sean, Lynne) recorded 4th February 2009

10th, 11th and 13th December 2009 recorded 4th June 2009

jonny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: Val 27/08

basicasic wrote:
jonny wrote:
I don't know why everyone whinges about the sob stories...you do realise that this show is watched by pensioners? Therefore, sob stories = more pensioners who watch = more money. Believe it or not, they don't care about the young contingent around here who are sick of them...we're a minority!

Dunno where you get that that theory from. Virtually everybody I speak to hates the sob stories.

I guess there's no way of proving it either way...it's just my theory about what's going on in the producers' heads. It ain't gonna stop anytime soon...

redrum666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:33 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Re: Val 27/08
Permanently Banned

jonny wrote:
redrum666 wrote:
jonny wrote:

Pensioners don't like doom and gloom rammed down their throats every afternoon, that's a fallacy. All these sob stories do is remind them that they're close to kicking the bucket as well. What tripe.

Don't be so negative. Haven't you noticed that the 'sob stories' are actually framed very positively? It's not like 'And today we have Katy, who has no arms and legs, and who's just lost all her family in an arsen attack' - it's 'this player has been through a tough time because of x and y dying...oh look how well they're coping, they're carrying on the memory of x and y - they want to dedicate this to relative x and that to relative y'. It's all sentimental - pensioners love that crap.

Anyway, reading these today's show threads are more depressing than watching the show itself!

The sob stories aren't framed positively when you have to sit here most afternoons watching people close to/in tears as they mope over their deceased spouse/relative or friend and then watch as they become an emotional wreck when it starts to go wrong. No pensioner wants that sorry reminder of impending death.

jonny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:35 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Val 27/08 split

redrum666 wrote:
jonny wrote:
redrum666 wrote:
jonny wrote:

The sob stories aren't framed positively when you have to sit here most afternoons watching people close to/in tears as they mope over their deceased spouse/relative or friend and then watch as they become an emotional wreck when it starts to go wrong. No pensioner wants that sorry reminder of impending death.

I don't think many of the pensioners watching the sob stories are thinking 'oh *beep*, I'm next!' - surely...none of the pensioners I've ever encountered...they're not that pessimistic!

jonny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:37 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Val 27/08 split

Tom22 wrote:
jonny wrote:

Thats very true as well... but if they put something positive on I think the mood would change.

I agree, I mean I don't really like the sob stories either - but I also don't like Noel's shirts, or some of the music, or the fact that the crazy chair is made of wood - there's no point in complaining about them, they're just another part of the show...

Tom22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:38 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Val 27/08

jonny wrote:
Tom22 wrote:
jonny wrote:

Thats very true as well... but if they put something positive on I think the mood would change.

I agree, I mean I don't really like the sob stories either - but I also don't like Noel's shirts, or some of the music, or the fact that the crazy chair is made of wood - there's no point in complaining about them, they're just another part of the show...

Whats wrong with a wooden crazy chair?! :blueponder :P

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

redrum666

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:38 pm    Author: redrum666    Post subject: Val 27/08 split split
Permanently Banned

Tom22 wrote:
jonny wrote:
Tom22 wrote:
jonny wrote:

Whats wrong with a wooden crazy chair?! :blueponder :P

Splinters? :eyes:

wkd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:40 pm    Author: wkd    Post subject: Re: Val 27/08

Presumably they think viewers heart strings are tugged and we are overwhelmed with empathy. To some extent they are right but people get anaethesitised to the point of indifference when we hear these tragedies nearly every day.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:52 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!
Administrator & Global Moderator

*Enters carefully... :P*

Jonny raised an interesting point about older people. The 2 main groups who watch the show are students and older people - in fact there may be more students than older people but I don't know the recent viewing figures by age group (croftrock? :P). As for older people liking (or rather, not disliking) the "sob stories", I'm not entirely sure that's a valid argument but it can't be proven. You do get some "battle-axes" (like Blanche from Coronation Street :lol:) who probably do like to hear a good death story though. :twisted:

It's true that the stories aren't presented in a negative way (normally) but I just don't see why things like dead relatives need to be mentioned at all on an early afternoon entertainment / game-show. There was once a time when the show would be opened with a funny story about the contestant or something - sob stories certainly never used to happen in the early days of DOND, and it's something that's only appeared in the last 9 months or so!

It's something no-one will seemingly ever agree on, and the fault does lie with the makers of the show rather than the people appearing on the show, as I suspect they may ask the contestants beforehand if they have any heart-wrenching stories they want to tell. But as I said elsewhere, this is just surely in response to the general trend in television nowadays regarding sob stories... it appears in X Factor more than ever, and also in shows such as Britain's Got Talent.

Personally I don't like references to death on the show as often as we're getting it but as long as it's out of the way at the start (as is normally the case) it doesn't bother me greatly.

basicasic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:09 pm    Author: basicasic    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!
Permanently Banned

It really has gone beyond a joke now. Another day another death just about sums it up. What has death and disaster got to do with DOND or any game show for that matter?

I really could not care less about contestants dead relatives, massive debts or general misfortune. I want to feel happy and uplifted. When I first started watching DOND the show was fun and lively. Contestants did a lot of laughing and took risks and won big. It was a hoot to watch. All we see these days are floods of tears, mind-numbing caution and we are left feeling suicidal after the show instead of inspired. Its nauseating watching a contestant bleat on about bereaved relatives whilst the rest of the blubbing wingers seemingly think that that a good old harrowing sob-story makes them more deserving of a big cash prize. As if a big cash win will make everything better.

And if ever proof-positive was needed that there is no afterlife then DOND is it. Whenever a deceased relative is supposedly looking down on them like a guardian angel they always end up in a trainwreck and win zilch. Either that or their loved-one really hated their guts.

Even my mother said tonight it makes you feel like slitting your wrists before they start.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:45 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

I'm trying to remember when it was this sort of thing became a regular occurrence, I remember the first time something like that came up was in June '06 when Frank who played on Fathers' Day needed 20k for his daughter's operation, and I thought it was wonderful when he got it (and by taking a justifiable risk beforehand), and he was such an entertaining contestant it didn't really matter. And I though Ron from October last year who also got 20k from the box, that was a really dramatic, powerful game too. At first if it was only a very occasional thing, I liked it but I can't remember one from the next now.

I think it must have just been the very end of last year, especially when Orry was around.

Indeed my favourite show that last week before Xmas was Stephen's becuase he was funny and didn't take it too seriously, and the intro was him joking on about his wedding photos from the 70s, instead of deal relatives etc, even though the actual game was a bit of a non-event.

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:55 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!
Administrator & Global Moderator

James1978 wrote:
I'm trying to remember when it was this sort of thing became a regular occurrence

I seem to remember not thinking about it during Ron's game, whereas it was definitely evident by the time of Orry's game. I think the few weeks before Christmas is when it started really. The main one was "Poet" Ian who cried about his parents... even though they were "alive and healthy" (to paraphrase him)! :?

James1978 wrote:
instead of deal relatives etc

Interesting typo!!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:33 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

Unless you are sadistic, I honestly don't see how anyone would want to turn on and be entertained by some person you don't know ramble on about dead relatives for 10 minutes. Bez's game start today was fantastic. I don't mind the odd one, but when we get 4 a week it gets too much; we need variety.

alex xxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 am    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

i know im bringing this to the top of the list again but i haven't read this before. i dont think that really the contestants can be to blame for this, because from the start of the audition process there are all sorts of questions that lead you to talk about your life and it's ups and downs. that means that inevitably some poeple who have had a more difficult life e.g. claude my wonderful husband are going to get picked as contestants. I would like to think that he was picked because he is hilarious, positive, and also a really good representation of a disabled man who has a great outlook. but maybe some people are picked because they need the money for the sob story they have. claude has his own, he has cp and he has never walked, he lost both his parents before he was 30 and he has had a tough time, but that doesnt stop him being funny and having an incredible laugh! (which i hope you will see plenty of) :) i dont think that the contestants are necessarily at fault, at the end of the day they have their lives whether good or bad and they are picked by endemol and are prompted by noel 99.9% of the time to tell their sob stories, so while i dont like to hear about endless sob stories its not the contestants fault. :oops: :D

killersbee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 am    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

Agreed, I blame the show for these sob stories, not the players themselves

Surely the players have a right to not mention it :?

alex xxx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:31 pm    Author: alex xxx    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

maybe so killersbee but if you notice noel brings it up every show and asks the contestant :ponder:

jonny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:04 pm    Author: jonny    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

I think it's kinda the thing that makes the players get selected in the first place. The producers think it makes them interesting...

Wendy47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:15 pm    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

Everybody has some kind of sob story but whether you choose to have Noel speak about it is up to you. When you first arrive, a member of the production team goes through the items they have chosen from your files (stuff from the application forms or what you have talked about over the phone) to go on your 'information card' which Noel uses. You say whether the information is correct or if you'd rather not talk about it.

KP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:17 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!
International Forums Moderator

I can only presume Endemol('s crack team of researchers) think that the audience want to see contestants like this as they 'deserve' to play and that other people shouldn't get to 'earn' money by 'just opening boxes'?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Wendy47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 pm    Author: Wendy47    Post subject: Re: STOP the sob stories, Deal or No Deal!

Well they'll be disappointed with me then. :laughing

[ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]