Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:49 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:49 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Warnings: 0
Actually James, a player referred to the small reds as purples on the show...I'm just trying to remember who it was (MisterAl will probably know!)...but I do prefer oranges to be fair.

Hinge is a good one, as the Banker has recently offered the middle amount on a balanced 5-box board...as is Confetti Hound, there are a few who would love to see the confetti...but unfortunately forget they will surely be offered very good money while the £250,000 remains in play.

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:58 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

EDIT: It was Angela last April if I remember rightly!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Power5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:54 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

SeahawkTim wrote:
Three-Digit Rule - States that a player should be far more willing to gamble in situations where the worst result is a win of at least £100.

I'm not sure that one's true, I don't really think that high blues carry any significance unless there's nothing else of value left. If you've got a strong board it doesn't matter if the lowest value is 10p, £100 or maybe even £1,000. Only the presence of the 1p at 8-box or later might have a psychological impact. Probably only a guaranteed five-figure sum would really act as an incentive for people to gamble, and in that situation the offers would be likely to reflect that!

James1978

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:51 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I love the way the term "Confetti Hound" was just coined in the last few days, and we get one in action today! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

SeahawkTim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:12 pm    Author: SeahawkTim    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

James1978 wrote:
I love the way the term "Confetti Hound" was just coined in the last few days, and we get one in action today! :)

I can see the future! :laughing

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:34 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I'm really starting to wonder if there should be a reference to the tradition of any male player from Hull appearing on the show giving an exclamation whenever he hears the word "Hull"! :lol:

Started last year? Happening at the moment still?

Kanga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:41 pm    Author: Kanga    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Big-Davey wrote:
I'm really starting to wonder if there should be a reference to the tradition of any male player from Hull appearing on the show giving an exclamation whenever he hears the word "Hull"! :lol:

HULLabaloo :lol:

deal who rebecca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:45 am    Author: deal who rebecca    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

h2005 wrote:
I've just spotted this on the official Channel 4 DOND site:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/deal ... -lingo-a-n

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/deal ... -lingo-m-z

I wonder where they got the definitions for "OPW" etc from! A cynic might suggest they got them from this thread, seeing as such abbreviations have never been officially used on the show. ;) :ponder:

links don't see to work any ore

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:39 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Have you tried navigating the site? The links might simply have changed :)

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:57 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

deal who rebecca wrote:
h2005 wrote:
I've just spotted this on the official Channel 4 DOND site:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/deal ... -lingo-a-n

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/deal ... -lingo-m-z

I wonder where they got the definitions for "OPW" etc from! A cynic might suggest they got them from this thread, seeing as such abbreviations have never been officially used on the show. ;) :ponder:

links don't see to work any ore

I've had a look and they don't appear to be hosted on Channel 4's site any more. In fact there's not much on their site to be honest.

There's a DoND Dictionary on the "other site" - http://www.dealornodeal.co.uk/show/donddictionary/ - which features words and phrases, but not abbreviations like OPW as they're more specific to this site.

I actually made some contributions to that DoND Dictionary when they were asking for suggestions ages ago and they posted them on there. Can't remember exactly what but they were but I think it included - Banker's Gamble, Confetti , Curse of the newbie and Sting in the tail.

Just looking through that list again and there's quite a few that don't get used now.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases
Administrator & Global Moderator

I've updated the first post to make this "DONDictionary" more relevant to the show as it is nowadays.

Any modifications/additions would of course be welcomed. :smt023

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:33 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I have a quick one: you say for the 1p club "The group of contestants to have won the lowest possible prize of 1p."

Shouldn't it say "The group of contestants to have won the lowest possible monetary prize of 1p", paving way for the lowest possible prize being nothing?

Also, is it worth the DONDictionary including a reference to Markism; coined by myself but credit going to our resident radical optimist Mark, it basically means being an optimist in your game...if you had big amounts in previous recent shows, you could well have another...whereas if you'd had small amounts in previous recent shows, you could finally have a big one.

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:51 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I'll make the amendments shortly. :smt023

(The word "Markism" is dangerously close to the word "Marxism". I think the two are quite different!)

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I've also added the "Nothing Club" to include a note about those who have won nothing.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:17 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I know it sounds similar to Marxism...so unless you had better ideas for what to coin his opportunism, it's a case of like it or lump it! :P

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 am    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

What about "MarkismnothingtodowithMarxismism"?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 am    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Go for it! :lol:

(EDIT: That way, you can claim copyright over Mark :P )

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 am    Author: Mark    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Yeah!

killersbee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:25 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I just though of the word "Wilsonism", is that different to wakeyism and markism? :ponder:

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Doesn't really need an entry though does it? It's pretty much the same as Wakeyism, dealing only if the offer is virtually the average on a precarious or dangerous board...anything stronger or the offer not as strong then play on :|

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]