Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 pm Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:35 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: DoNDictionary - a DoND glossary
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
The words, phrases and definitions have been contributed by various forum members:

Phrases in bold red are currently used on the show, and phrases in bold black are more normally used here on the forum, but may have been used on the show in the past.

Nothing Club: The small, but growing, group of people who have walked away from the show with no money at all. This happens when the banker throws in an unusual gamble or twist, which gets accepted and doesn't go in the player's favour.

1p Club: The group of contestants to have won the lowest possible monetary prize of 1p.

1p kiss: Noel suggests that whoever reveals the 1p in active gameplay should deserve a kiss off the player.

50 shows Lucy: Nickname given to the longest running contestant Lucy who did 50 shows.

AMO: Above Mean Offer - an offer greater than the mean (average) of the remaining boxes. Such generous offers are very rare.

"All or peanuts" game or 1-box game: A phrase used by Noel to describe a game which has one valuable sum of money left in the game, and the rest is comparable pittance.

Advent calendar: A forum thread set up each Christmas, covering funny visual moments from DOND during the year.

Banker: The person who is on the other end of the phone to Noel and makes offers to try and buy the player’s box for as little amount of money as possible by making them deal. The banker makes his offers based on what is remaining on the board and also what he thinks of the player.

Banker beating / spanking: A banker beating is where the player sells their box for more than it's worth but didn't take the highest offer of the game; a banker spanking is the same except the player also took the highest offer of their game.

Banker's Gamble: Where the banker offers the chance for the player to undo their deal, and go back into live play. Only ever offered at 2-box. The Banker's Special Gamble is occasionally used, which incorporates an extra twist, such as a "double or nothing" gamble, where the player has a chance to risk their winnings to either win double or win nothing.

Banker’s Power 5: The five lowest amounts on the board - 1p, 10p, 50p, £1 and £5 – the opposite corner to the player’s Power 5.

Barge: The fictitious location of the home of the 1p winners.

Beryl: Contestant who was the first player to make an excessively cautious deal, taking £3,100 with £250,000 still in-play.

Black Widow: A contestant (usually female) who continually has high values in their boxes.

Boxgate: A name given to incidents involving the boxes, such as a box containing nothing in it.

Chasing the money: When a player no deals offers later in the game in order to chase higher offers they may have had earlier in the game.

Crazy Chair: The chair in which the contestants sit when they play their game.

Christmas Stars: In 2007 and 2008, special shows over Christmas saw nominated players raising money for charity.

Daddy or Mummy: Role given to one contestant at any time, with responsibilities such as welcoming the new contestants etc.

Donna's game - The game which started off the debate about whether friends, family members, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc. should be allowed to get involved, due to Donna's boyfriend heavily influencing her game.

Double Deal Week: A week in June 2006 when there were two games a day.

Dream factory: Noel’s phrase to describe the DOND studio.

Dream scenario: The final pair of £100,000 and £250,000.

Fair deal: Statistical measure, calculated as the mean of the square roots of the values remaining, squared.

Forcing offer: When the banker makes an offer that is so low, the contestant has little choice other than to no deal.

Governor: An offer the banker regularly uses to get players to deal. This was introduced as £26,000 in Feb 2007, but seems to have been replaced by £16,000 as of Mar 2011. Also known as "Old Faithful".

Greenyism: The concept of dealing, based on forum member greeny whose attitude to the game is/was very cautious.

Honorary Blues: Term used to describe the lowest reds.

Hypothetical swap: After a player has dealt, Noel sometimes asks if the player would have swapped their box had they carried on.

Independent Adjudicator: The person who seals all the 22 boxes and is the only person who knows where the money is.

Joke offer: An offer made for comedy value, by being very low.

IOPW (Irregular Outright Player Win): A player gets the most money out of the game, but does do via an unusual, non-canon twist such as the Banker's Gamble or an extra offer. See also "OPW".

LTL (Legalised Telephone Lottery): The now-defunct viewers' phone-in / web competition.

Lucky items: Used by Noel when a player is running out of luck - includes a lucky tea bag and various lucky hats.

Mally's Law: The system where contestants who had a high/low value yesterday are considered less likely to have one today. Named after contestant Mally from 2005.

MarkismnothingtodowithMarxismism: (Named after forum member Mark.) Being an optimist in your game...if you had big amounts in previous recent shows, you could well have another...whereas if you'd had small amounts in previous recent shows, you could finally have a big one. Links to Mally's Law (see above).

Mummy: See "Daddy".

Newbie: the new player in a game.

OBW (Outright Banker Win) : The contestant deals for an amount lower than the box value, OR the contestant no-deals to the end and wins an amount lower than their highest offer.

OD (Outright Draw) : The contestant deals for the same amount as the box value, or no-deals to the end and wins the same as the peak offer.

OPL (Outright Player Loss): The contestant deals the lowest of the six offers, which is also lower than their box amount.

OPW (Outright Player Win): The contestant gets the highest amount of money out of the game. Also known as a "banker spanking". See also "IOPW".

Old Faithful: See "Governor".

Pilgrims: Audience members.

PJ: The first contestant to be offered a SWAP and no money at 2-box. Probably the first ever 'controversial' game.

Pound Table: The table at which the contestant’s box sits, along with the banker’s phone and Noel and the contestant's mugs.

Power 5: The 5 highest values on the board - £35,000, £50,000, £75,000, £100,000 and £250,000.

Proveout offer: An offer the banker makes after the player has dealt.

Quickie: When the player chooses three boxes very quickly and they are opened very quickly.

Red/yellow cards: Used by Noel to jokingly send someone out of the studio, as in a football match. There is also a yellow card.

Sequencegate: Term used for the DOND scandal in early 2006, when it was discovered that the show accidentally used the same few sequences of amounts in the boxes.

Swap: when the Banker offers the chance for the player to swap their box for another box.

Sweep: When the player asks the advice of the other contestants standing behind the wings.

Targetist: A player driven by a particular financial target, which they are likely to accept if offered, whatever remains on the board.

Technical Banker Win (TBW): The contestant deals for an amount greater than the box value, but less than half the peak offer.

Technical Draw (TD): The contestant deals for exactly half the peak offer (and this amount is greater than the box value).

Technical Player Win (TPW): The contestant deals for an amount greater than the box value, and more than half the peak offer. Also known as a "banker beating".

Trainwreck: A disastrous game, typically ending in a blue amount being won.

Wakeyism: The idea of “no dealing” due to the aggressive pro-gambling nature of (now banned) forum member wakey1512.

Walk of Wealth: The path along which the players walk at the start of their game.

Wings: The benches behind which the contestants stand. There is the East Wing (on the right as you watch the TV) and the West Wing (on the left). The "wing position" is the position where a player stands on the wings.

Last edited by h2005 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:59 am, edited 11 times in total.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:19 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and definitions

This quite simply amazing thread has now been updated in order to help people decode the somewhat weird abbrevations and phrases often used on this forum and on the show.

h2005

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:57 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I've just spotted this on the official Channel 4 DOND site:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/deal ... -lingo-a-n

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/deal ... -lingo-m-z

I wonder where they got the definitions for "OPW" etc from! A cynic might suggest they got them from this thread, seeing as such abbreviations have never been officially used on the show. ;) :ponder:

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:54 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

So more than three years after their invention on Bother's Bar, these have now made it to "official" status!

Would have been even better if "Wakeyism" had made it though :lol: Hope you used it during your game H!

Power5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:04 pm    Author: Power5    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

In fact a fair number of the definitions have been copied word for word, or almost word for word, from here!

Would the C4 mole please reveal him/herself? ;)

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:31 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases
International Forums Moderator

Hah! We've made it! :) Wish we'd sorted out the draw definition beforehand though!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

James1978

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:37 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I thought "VENTRESS" used to be one of the references (though to be fair, I'm the only one who still refers to Stuart (1) as that) :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:47 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Given the flack that C4 has given certain members for posting copyrighted material on youtube, can we do the same to them and ask them for credit for copying verbatin our definitions?

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:51 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Simon F wrote:
Given the flack that C4 has given certain members for posting copyrighted material on youtube, can we do the same to them and ask them for credit for copying verbatin our definitions?

QUOTE OF THE NIGHT!!!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

KP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases
International Forums Moderator

BRILLIANT!!

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

Simon F

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 pm    Author: Simon F    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I know that stuff written on internet forums and Haloscan probably isn't copyrightable but I honestly think C4 have a nerve.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

I'll suggest another thingy to go on the list. Markism - The theory of estimating the amount a player (as in, the person in the chair) will have in their box, based on the blue/red ratio of their box amounts in all of their past shows. Named after forum member Mark.

That definition probably needs a bit of doctoring as I don't fully understand Markism myself. My apologies if it's been suggested already

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

killersbee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:13 pm    Author: killersbee    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I think these are worth adding:

Hobo 5 - Short Term word used for The Banker's Power Five

Sbanking - A short term used for Banker Spanking

Skyline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:25 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re:
Forum Games Moderator

daniel123 wrote:
I'll suggest another thingy to go on the list. Markism - The theory of estimating the amount a player (as in, the person in the chair) will have in their box, based on the blue/red ratio of their box amounts in all of their past shows. Named after forum member Mark.

That definition probably needs a bit of doctoring as I don't fully understand Markism myself. My apologies if it's been suggested already

Brilliant.

killersbee - thanks for the suggestion of my inventions :lol:

Kaledmutant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:47 pm    Author: Kaledmutant    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Hope you don't mind me adding to the list:

Baby Faced Assassin - Young beauty by the name of Joey who often had high values in her box and got dubbed BFA because of it.

Aaron Brock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:33 pm    Author: Aaron Brock    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Isn't £20,000 called "The Rock" because back in its time, it was the most popular value on the table?

James1978

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:49 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I think a new one should be added, courtesy of cfd:

"£NO_DEAL" to indicated joke/forcing offers (and other variants thereof).

And you could also have "17-box opening round" for games where a twist comes at 5-box so they have to ensure the player gets that far! :)

"22 identical sealed boxes, and no questions except one.....do a poor deal for an easy few thousand or be brave and win a blue!"

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

They're definitely good additions!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

SeahawkTim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:47 am    Author: SeahawkTim    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

Here's a few terms I've cooked up while watching the show; feel free to use them if you wish:

Big Red - The £250,000.

Confetti Hound - Someone who plays until the £250,000 is out of the game, at which point they deal immediately.

Crimson Shock - A phenomenon where a player does so well in the opening half of the game, they psych themselves out and are unprepared for the eventuality of taking out reds in the second half.

Cyanophobia - Fear of the color blue. Typically used to describe players who Deal on above-average boards simply because they don't want to leave with a blue.

Foster Farms Award - Given to players who Deal at 8-box or sooner when they had the £250,000 in their box.

Freeroll - Situation in which a player is guaranteed a large amount (generally at least £10,000) regardless of the outcome.

Harry Houdini Award - Given to players who Deal at 8-box or sooner with excellent boards (Generally the £250K and two other Power 5 numbers), and spank the banker anyway.

Hinge - The median amount on a 5-box board. So named because the game can still "swing either way" if it's taken out, as it's a component of both a perfect round and a nightmare round.

Junior - The £100,000 box.

Marginal Value - Borrowed from poker, it's the hypothetical value of the money being risked, versus what you'll have if you win or lose. Typically, the money you risk is worth more than a proportional amount of money you stand to gain, but less than proportional amount you'll still have if you lose.

Purples - The £1000, £3000 and £5000 amounts. Can be treated either as red or blue, based on what the board makeup is when they're taken out.

Self-Defeatist - A player who undermines their own game by confessing to a life of bad luck or never winning anything, which often results in games where the player deals both too soon and for much less than they may have gotten if they hadn't been so pessimistic.

Three-Digit Rule - States that a player should be far more willing to gamble in situations where the worst result is a win of at least £100.

Last edited by SeahawkTim on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

James1978

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:54 pm    Author: James1978    Post subject: Re: DONDictionary - a glossary of DOND terms and phrases

I definitely like "Confetti Hound" and "Hinge"!

Also "Purprles" tend to me more well-known here as "Oranges" but purple actually does make more sense as it's a cross between red and blue! :)

[ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]