Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 13 posts ] 

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:12 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Most ungreatful contestant?

Warnings: 0
Have there been any players in the history of DoND who just didn't seem to take anything from there experience and just didn't seem greatful for their time on dond? Either because they won a small amount of money or was it something else

Janelle appears to be the juiciest example, possibly CJ as well since she didn't have a good relationship with the other players and was promptly red-carded from the show without getting a chance to play the game. I also seem to remember James from April 2009 saying in a newspaper article that he hated being in the chair and having to play it up for the camera etc., which was a real shock as he seemed to have a good personality on the screen

Brick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

Donna Rampton from December 2006 comes to mind, although she did manage to muster "Thank you for having me" inbetween sobs at the end...

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:31 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

£70,000 Paul from January 2012 certainly qualifies, considering even though he won WAY more than what 95%+ of other players won he still cried when his box was opened to reveal the £250,000.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:17 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

Brick wrote:
Donna Rampton from December 2006 comes to mind, although she did manage to muster "Thank you for having me" inbetween sobs at the end...

I was in two minds over whether or not to include Donna, since she still expressed SOME gratitude at the end, despite her self-inflicted breakdown on set

Brick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:14 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

American Coupon Boy wrote:
£70,000 Paul from January 2012 certainly qualifies, considering even though he won WAY more than what 95%+ of other players won he still cried when his box was opened to reveal the £250,000.

I did think of Paul, although to be fair to him he was a lot calmer and seemingly more appreciative of what he won during the post-game interview which was posted online after the show. He'd presented himself as quite a competitive player during his game and in the heat of the moment, let the fact he'd been beaten get to him.

Toni from November 2011 may be another example. She was pretty much in pieces for the entirety of her game, took a reasonable deal for £26k at 8-box, then completely lost it when the proveout went against her :smt009

psychokiller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

I'd probably be a terrible contestant. I'd only care about the money and sod the experience. Don't give a stuff about a week's bender with strangers and rubbish, antiquated pub dance classics. Cautious Richard from 2008 had the right idea. £20,000 now, right now? For me? Now? Twenty thousand??? I'LL TAKE IT, TAKE IT ALL, GIVE IT!

Davao

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:11 pm    Author: Davao    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

Does Theresa count? Sounds like when she got one of her offers, she snapped at one of the contestants for giving her good advice? Sounds a bit ungrateful to me, the one from early 2007.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:53 pm    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

Davao wrote:
Does Theresa count? Sounds like when she got one of her offers, she snapped at one of the contestants for giving her good advice? Sounds a bit ungrateful to me, the one from early 2007.

That was Theresa who no-dealt £21k (92% of the average!!) on a £100k/£75k/not much else 8-box. LOL I'll never forgot how she just bluntly disregarded's advice Leila when she advised her to deal by saying "I won't go home with nothing", as if sounding SO sure of herself, then subsequently blew her game to pieces in the following round and when away with a blue. I can't say i felt sorry for Theresa when she crashed, she just seemed an arrogant sod of a woman IMO :smt011

Speaking of people who fit into this category. Remember Vaughan from the early days? "But i can earn £4,900 in a week in a commission" "I bet £12,000 on a horse to win £370,000 but i'm NOT a gambler!". With that attitude, he would've been kicked the show without getting to play if he came on after Season 2!! :shock:

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:23 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?
Forum Games Moderator

Noel could probably relate to him - I wonder how many times he picked up the phone, heard the offer from Glenn Hugill, and thought, 'bloody hell, I spend that on a night out on the town, and it's life-changing money to these chumps?!'
Alternatively, that might have given him a fresh sense of empathy for the people who came on the show, with the way so many of them were happy to take £5,000 or £10,000 and run. I've never seen any evidence for that empathy, but it might have come about...one would hope so, at least. You'd hope it was a learning experience for him, a real perspective-changer. Anyhow, that's enough of that tangent! 'Off-Topic' is my middle name, after all. :P

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:24 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

What the....? The last couple of posts seem to have vanished following issues with the site yesterday :shock: :?

daniel123

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:14 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?
Forum Games Moderator

There were issues with the site?
My last one from a few days ago is the latest until yours that I'm replying to, if that's any help. I haven't noticed any difference since then.

I also haven't been on the forum since then, which might explain that... :P

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:09 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?

I basically said that i could feel some insecurity coming from Vaughan when I watched his game, the ego was probably a front he was putting on to intimidate the banker, and that the loss of the £250k did knock his confidence a bit (hence the deal for a fairly modest £4,900 having just rejected £18,000)

And i also said that his comments of "Oh i can make £4,900 taking a leak behind a tree" and "I can win £370,000 by guessing which horse stable will have the most s*** in it by the end of the day" would not be tolerated in the more modern DoND world of "I've got debts, I've got kids crying for food, and i have a family that'll never forgive me if i play on and crash - I need money NOW. As soon as i'm get an offer of £7,000 or more i'm taking it and running!" - You might as well deal at an opening offer of £1,500 to pay for life-saving surgery to save your old, dying dog and be done with it

There was also one or two comments asking about Vaughan being unpopular with the others as he only picked on his 12th show. I remember there once being a comment from someone who said that Vaughan wasn't well-liked at the hotel due to his ego, but having physically watched his game on YouTube, he seemed to get along fairly well with the others in his game so who knows

Come to think about it, i think Vaughan was one of the first contestants who posted on here!

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:47 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Most ungreatful contestant?
Forum Games Moderator

Ah, right, I can't say I've noticed anyway! :P

Yes, I remember reading some of his posts before I joined up myself, I think he was posting in the first few months of the forum but disappeared somewhat after that. There was also Arlette who also played in January that year, but she didn't hang around either. Geordie of course signed up a few days after his show was broadcast, and he did provide us with some gems now and then 8)

We apparently had Dave from Show 56 and Aileen too, although only Dave appears to have genuinely been who he said he was...

[ 13 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]