Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 7 posts ] 

h2005

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:01 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: DoND comeback? Noel rules out a return
Administrator & Global Moderator

Warnings: 0
An interesting article from the Express with quotes from Noel Edmonds: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-ra ... ost-Banker

The summary is that Noel thinks DoND should come back on Channel 4... but without him as host as he doesn't think he should go back to it.

He also claims that the show came to an end because of difficulties budgeting for it, as Channel 4's share price would go through the floor if the £250,000 was won everyday for a week. Surely that was obvious from the outset back in 2005. :ponder:

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:08 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: DoND comeback? Noel rules out a return
Forum Games Moderator

I'm in two minds on this one, really. On one hand, I think a return for the show would be interesting, and seeing how people perceived it and whether it could even achieve the same popularity that it had towards the end would be intriguing. On the other, it's a bit like an ageing, retired sportsperson choosing to come out of retirement and give their sport another bash. It doesn't end with a revival of past successes, but it's an entertaining spectacle to watch, seeing the old cogs moving again, just not in the same working order.

For the sake of the show's reputation in the eyes of television history, I would rather it stayed as it is. 11 years were enough, and there isn't anything new that could be tweaked or changed in my opinion without DoND becoming a TV imitation of HMS Victory: heralded by those who loved it, almost completely made up of new parts because the original was rendered useless quite early on in its career and thereafter preserved for posterity.

The difference is that Victory still serves a purpose, and still brings in money for those who work in, on, and around her. Deal or No Deal, in maritime terms, is a hulk - it floats, but that's about it. It couldn't get anywhere under its own steam, which is exactly why it was abandoned in the first place. It's good for use as a storage area, containing all the memories and characters of the past, but that, for me, is where they belong. :smt023

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

JamesJMH91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:59 am    Author: JamesJMH91    Post subject: Re: DoND comeback? Noel rules out a return

I personally can't see DoND making a comeback. While it would be good to see, I just couldn't see it achieving the same level of success as it did first time around. There's not really much that could be done to tweak the format and make it more interesting, other than introduce a completely different, perhaps Americanised format. Plus, with the damage that Endemol's budget copped from the show's high payouts in the early seasons (ultimately resulting in DoND running on a reduced budget, with the majority of contestants from about the recession era-onwards being very cautious and having lowered expectations), it'd probably still struggle for big wins and be dominated by predictable cautious deals and unavoidable blue wins :roll: Of course, DoND gradually lost its reputation amongst a lot of people after it's heyday of the first 2 seasons, thanks to cautious contestants, sob-stories, too many gimmicks, weird cult-like behaviour etc. becoming the norm, which did turn a lot of people off.

I'd kind of feel the same way about DoND coming back as i do about the current trend of animated Disney movies having live-action reboots - It's taking people's nostalgia for granted, recycling it, and just pumping out the same thing, with everything unchanged but with different actors and maybe one or two needless "woke" changes to subtly push some kind of political propaganda. It was fine the way it was is better left in the past - it had it's heyday, it ran it's course, it had a great innings, it got stale and it ended. I could say "Let it go" but i don't really want to be reminded too much of THAT Disney song :roll: :smt023

It would be interesting to see what the likes of psychokiller and Dr Hindsight would have to say here! :lol:

Last edited by JamesJMH91 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

American Coupon Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 pm    Author: American Coupon Boy    Post subject: Re: DoND comeback? Noel rules out a return

I'm personally glad that Deal is being revived in the states rather than the UK, especially as it seems the producers learned their lesson and aren't interjecting too many gimmicks into the game. A female Banker and the ability to negotiate one offer both provide top comedy without being too game-breaking.

The UK version's rapid decline in 2015 and 2016 pretty much ruined any chance of it being revived. No broadcaster would want to risk such a high budget game show that is likely to receive very low viewing figures like the last 2 years of the show did.

The next series begins immediately after the premiere of the Deal or No Deal revival.

Brick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:16 pm    Author: Brick    Post subject: Re: DoND comeback? Noel rules out a return

It's barely been 2 years since the show ended - if they brought it back tomorrow, even with a new presenter, it's unlikely the show would tap into a new audience who would stick with it for the long run. 15 to 1 returned about a decade after it originally ended, and got a few series out of its revival because the gap meant it drew interest from a new audience as well as people who remembered it first time round.

It's possible DOND could turn up once in a while as a celebrity charity special - in the same way Weakest Link did last year (5 years after it ended) - but in terms of becoming a regular series again, we'll have to wait a while for the retro value to kick back in again.

rico7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm    Author: rico7    Post subject: Re: DoND comeback? Noel rules out a return

It's interesting that DOND has come back in the US after 9 years and with the same host Howie Mandel, but difficult to see this happening with Noel unless he agreed to some specials.

I think it could make a comeback like WWTBAM with a new host but probably not yet.
The other question is whether they can afford to have the prize money at the same level that it was for a weekday programme that had been suffering with declining ratings.

If and when there is a comeback it might be an idea to go with something comparable to the US- once a week primetime in the evening rather than daily with a larger prize available eg. 500K or 1 million.

It seems a long time ago now that DOND UK aired on Saturday evenings and with good ratings!

psychokiller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 pm    Author: psychokiller    Post subject: Re: DoND comeback? Noel rules out a return

rico7 wrote:
The other question is whether they can afford to have the prize money at the same level that it was for a weekday programme that had been suffering with declining ratings.

You'd be going back to the time you last updated that avatar, in the heady throes of a pre-financial jackknife Labour government.

[ 7 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » UK DoND Forums » Deal or No Deal General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]