Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 pm Last visit was: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 10 posts ] 

How far will Andy Murray reach in Wimbledon?
First round 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Second round 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Third round 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Fourth round 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Quarter-Final 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Semi-Final 54%  54%  [ 6 ]
Final 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Winner 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:03 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009

Warnings: 0
It's that time of the year again!

How far do you think Andy Murray will go in this year's SW19 tourny? With Rafael Nadal not taking part, many would argue that Murray isn't going to get a better chance at winning this. Do you agree?

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

Tom22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:26 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009

Quarter final. Never going to reach the final.

3rd. Toms Shrews III 1221
Top Scorer this week - dondsters 147 Worst scorer this week - Adium United 33
Bottom - Hammond's Heroes 766
(After Gameweek 22)

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009

My friend thinks he'll reach the semi-final without too much trouble.

Then Del Potro will knock the stuffing out of him. :|

I personally predicted a Del Potro v Federer Final myself, so I'll agree with my friend on this!

Resident divvy, keeps a nerdy eye on the UK Top 10, makes up the numbers in the forum Fantasy Football...

...and overseeing The 2010 Forum Wing Line-Up! Check it out in the Contestants section of the forum!

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:35 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009
Administrator & Global Moderator

I think he may reach the semi-final, but I can't see him getting beyond that stage at the moment.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009

Just for the record, here's the potential opponents Murray has lined up, in terms of seeding or stronger players from the draw...

First round - Robert Kendrick
Second round - Riccardo Ghedin
Third round - Viktor Troicki (30)
Fourth round - Stan Wawrinka (19)
Quarter-Final - Gilles Simon (8)
Semi-Final - Andy Roddick (6)
Final - Roger Federer (2)

Last edited by Big-Davey on Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Solskjaer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:16 pm    Author: Solskjaer    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009

I think he should get to the final barring any accidents.

I think Federer will take some stopping this year though and I hope he captures his 6th Wimbledon crown.

DanS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 pm    Author: DanS    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009

I think he'll reach the final. Then Federer will win. Comprehensively.

Big-Davey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:43 pm    Author: Big-Davey    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009

Ooooh, just found out if Federer does break Sampras' record and win his 16th Grand Slam, his return to the top of the ATP rankings will be confirmed!

daniel123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:05 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009
Forum Games Moderator

I voted for Semi-Finals, on the following basis.

First - barring the fact the Titanic sank, Federer pretty much is the Titanic of Wimbledon. Unsinkable, unstoppable. He's just going to keep on going, knocking everyone else down like skittles unless someone decent is put out there on the other side of the court. And even then, that other bloke'll have to be bloody good to even stand a chance. It's not a question anymore of "which players will be in the final"....Roger Federer...is certainly a finalist - and it is only a question now of who will face him in the final.

Second, Murray.....just isn't who or what we consider him to be. He won the Queen's tournament thingy, and I watched him do that, but there is only a very small possibility that he could go on to repeat what he did there, at Wimbledon. Sure the conditions aren't different, neither is the location really - but the pressure. This is Wimbledon.
And big ranking events like this do have an effect on people - take Steve Davis of the World Snooker circuit for example. Continual century breaks at home, in the clubs, at practice - but he can't pot a ball at arm's length on television. Him being 51 obviously has something to do with it, but compare the two situations, the high street club and the Crucible Theatre, and you find a huge difference.
Looking at Murray, I think he's certainly got the potential, the stamina, the confidence to carry on playing relatively consistently through the tournament - Queen's is a good example - and so I think now what's in question is whether or not he actually could play at his very best consistently, when faced with players like Federer or Del Potro.

The truth, of course, is that we won't know until it's happened. But we might aswell have a guess.
I went for Semi Finals. Whether or not he gets that far is different matter, but looking at it, I think it's pretty likely.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:10 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: Sports Poll of the Week 19: Wimbledon 2009
Global Moderator

Bah, you pessimistic lot. Of course he'll win, he's the British number one. :lol:

And even if he loses, at least he's Scottish. :P

[ 10 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General Discussion » Sports DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]