Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:19 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » Other DoND Games & Discussion » Expanded & SpecialAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1
International Forums Moderator

Warnings: 0
This was the game idea mentioned by crazyeddie elsewhere on this forum and I'm willing to host it to anyone who wishes.

In summary, you can decide to Deal or No Deal - or to Pivot. If you choose to Pivot, it is treated as a Deal in that there are no more active play offers (only hypothetical offers), but you will be left with a 50-50 gamble at the end between the contents of your box and the offer you chose to Pivot. (If you Pivot, you choose an envelope from two. One has DEAL and the other NO DEAL - if you pick the NO DEAL envelope you win your box value, if you pick the DEAL envelope you win the amount you Pivoted. Or you could take the two-box offer between them.)

The Pivot is almost a means of compromise between Dealing and No Dealing - as your final offer will be between the box value and an earlier offer.

Example:

Eight-box board of the top two and six blues. The offer is £15,000 and you choose to Pivot. Now, if you have a blue in your box, the NO DEAL envelope is worth whatever blue you have left, the DEAL envelope is worth £15,000, and as such your game has finished with a two-box blue/£15k decision with an appropriate offer for that. If you have the quarter-million on the table, you are left with effectively a £15k/£250k final two and an offer appropriate for that board. And likewise for £100k.

Who wants to play?

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:54 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Can I play? I was about to go out but I'm trapped in my room by hail...

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:04 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Of course.

Pick your box, and then your first five.

In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:07 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Hmm I'll have 19 as mine, and then:

please!

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:12 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

We'll see where 19 gets you...

22 - 10p. Perfect start, near enough.
12 - £10,000. It'll do.
2 -£1,000. That'll definitely do.
21 -£100,000... That won't...
1 - £20,000. Breaking the power-of-10 pattern there...

Not the best of starts but four of the Power 5 including the top prize remain.

Banker's offer:

£5,000

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:14 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Weeeeeell it could have been worse I suppose...No Deal thank you!

(I just realised my system is going to go wrong about halfway through, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:23 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Argh sorry, the weather's improved so I have to go to Sainsbury's...should be back in just over an hour though...

daniel4389

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:59 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

I'm back!

KP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:20 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

I took ages there, was out myself...

4 - 1p. That's the best place to have it...
9 - £5. Great round so far...
3 - 50p. WHAT A ROUND!

The Banker wants this game to pivot from here with the reverse of this round...

Banker's offer:

£16,500

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:44 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

This game is progressing very slowly and I fear it won't continue till tomorrow but for what it's worth, No Deal!

KP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:03 am    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

8 - £35,000. Back to reality I'm afraid.
6 - £1! That's the entire Banker's Power 5 gone...
13 - £10! And again the lowest on the board!

The Banker is decidedly nervous here...

Banker's offer:

£22,000

If you choose to Pivot, the Banker guarantees the final offer will be at least £8,500, and if your box contains the quarter-million it will be £85,000

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:31 am    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Hmm I'd hope for a bit more if I had the £250k...the £8,500 isn't bad though. Still it's a No Deal.

KP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:45 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

7 - £500! This is looking very good now...
14 - £75,000! Oh.
11 - £5,000. Definitely still acceptable, leaving this board:

£50
£100
£250

£750

£3,000

£15,000

£50,000

£250,000

Banker's offer:

£19,250

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:52 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Hmmm on a normal board I think I'd deal that...actually yes I would. But of course now I have the Pivot option....and as all the blues left are relatively high then I should think/hope the final offer would be quite decent...sooo...

Pivot!

Which is handy as this is where my system would have broken down. I'd have gone for:

KP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:02 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Well, we now know that you are going to have a decision between £19,250 and whatever is in your box. But now we find out not only what is in your box, but what other offers could have confronted you... the strange thing here is that we want to see blues in one way but we also know that would have meant a higher offer to come... but that's the nature of the Pivot, a compromise decision.

5 - £50. We now know you're not going to be leaving with less than £100, but we're also more likely to get a higher offer now.
20 - £750. It's looking promising for your chances of a bigger final offer, but it's also looking like you could have Dealt or Pivoted on a higher sum of money if you had chosen to No Deal...
18 - £15,000. That ensures you'll have a significant decision, as the one amount really close to the Pivot amount is now off the board. Still the quarter-million is there, and now we'd rather like it or £50,000 on the table, because this offer's going to be higher...

Banker's offer would've been:

£38,500

Twice as much. The Banker says that if you had chosen to Pivot at this point, the guaranteed minimum offer would have been £12,500 and that if you had the quarter-million on the table it would have been £125,000. Remember, he has not made any promise on the offer you actually chose to Pivot...

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:05 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Hmmm OK......I would have pivoted there with the £12,500 guarantee I think. And I was about to say 16 but I just realised that there's kind of a good reason why I should have missed that out. So I'd have gone 12, 16, 17 and left 15 to the end.

KP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:08 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

12 has gone... you took it out in the first round. You have 10, 15, 16 and 17 on the wings.

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:09 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Sorry - 10, 16 and 17 then please!

KP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:16 pm    Author: KP    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

10 - £250,000! Goodness that was one to conveniently forget about... we now need to hope you have £50,000 in your box.
16 - £100! That's good, your minimum win goes up, and if this is the £250 you cannot leave with under £3,000.
17 - £3,000. That leaves a blue against £50,000...

Banker's offer:

Banker's Gamble

With a twist. You can change your decision to whatever you like. Instead of this confusing 'Deal is to gamble and No Deal is not to' malarky, we'll do this with no nonsense... you're back in play. At £19,250, do you wish to Deal, No Deal or (for the second time) Pivot?

daniel4389

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:25 pm    Author: daniel4389    Post subject: Re: Deal, No Deal or Pivot: Game 1

Hahah that still confused me until I'd thought it through for a minute...

Well I'd definitely definitely deal that in a normal game, I don't think I'd even have to think about it. So No Deal's out...Deal or Pivot?

I'm not totally sure enough of the offer if the £250's in my box to be comfortable with pivoting...I don't want to risk winning a blue but then there's a chance the offer wouldn't be any good either....sooo...

Deal!

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » DoND Activities, Games & Quizzes Forums » Other DoND Games & Discussion » Expanded & SpecialAll times are UTC [ DST ]