Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:13 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:13 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Phil 09

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:58 am    Author: Phil 09    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista

Warnings: 0
I know someone who is, David. And cost £100 for some 'professional' to install. This being the same 'professional' about a year ago who said that the reason for his PC motherboard acting up (and replaced when not necessary) was because of... (You won't believe this!) ...

"Because his PC is on a earthquake fault line".

:ponder: (Don't ask! But as he is austistic, he sort of brought into the excuse). Had that been me, I'd have created a fault line courtesy of his head smacking floor! :x

But otherwise, Windows 7 as I understand is just a polished up version of Vista. (previously 'Longhorn'. Stupid name unless designed for rednecks or something?!). :?

Vista itself has more security holes in it than a Swiss Cheese from stories I've read over the last week or so. I use XPSP3 and rather the better the devil you know, at least for now.

Although I was far more comfortable with Windows SP2. Slower, yes, but more secure.

Phil.

Jimmy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:23 pm    Author: Jimmy    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Global Moderator

I'm using Windows 7 at the moment, and personally I think it's a massive improvement. I've always preferred Macintosh computers with the docks, and the way Microsoft have designed the new taskbar almost replicates the Apple dock. It does also seem a lot faster as well - definitely worth the £60 I paid. I grabbed the pre-order bargain back in July. :smt023

h2005

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:42 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject: Re: Windows Vista
Administrator & Global Moderator

My old laptop had Vista on it but only 1Gb of RAM. It was a nightmare! They should never have released Vista laptops with only 1Gb of RAM, as it's just not enough. Even with all the unnecessary bells and whistles of Vista turned off, my 1Gb laptop still struggled. Ideally, you need at least 2Gb to run Vista. My newer laptop has 3Gb of RAM, and has virtually no problems when compared to my 1Gb beast.

I installed a Beta version of Windows 7 on my 1Gb machine and it runs much better than Vista ever did on it! There aren't really many useful new features on Windows 7 (as far as I can see); the main selling point is that it seems to be more stable than Vista, and it uses less memory and is more compatible with older software/devices. (Although having said that, there are some new little quirks such as the improved taskbar, as Jimmy mentioned.)

So as far as I can see, Windows 7 is little more than an enhanced Service Pack for Vista! Microsoft have whacked on some new features to justify selling it as a new operating system, and then they're making money from people who upgrade from Vista to 7. So in a way, they're making money out of the mistakes they made with Vista! :evil:

[ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]