Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 pm Last visit was: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 pm

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 12 posts ] 

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 am    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

Warnings: 0
Just a thought that occurred to me while I was talking to my friend earlier.

The conversation moved on to numbers - specifically, which numbers we did or didn't like.

We spoke for many moons, randomly asking each other numbers and why we liked/disliked them in particular.

This, and discussion on a thread somewhere on here, has prompted me to come up with my own, personalised list of every number from 1 to 109 (and selected others above that) and basically, what I think of them. Whether I like them, dislike, and so on.

Which is here:

1 – Nothing for or against. Neutral.
2 – Not fond of 2, but it's bearable.
3 – No. Just, no.
4 – Good number. Very good. I like 4 a lot.
5 – Meh. It's OK.
6 – No.
7 – Yes, ish. I like 7, it's alright. Decent enough number.
8 – Yeah, fine with 8 too. Nothing against.
9 – No.
10 – OK. Not too bad, not brilliant.
11 – Yeah, bearable. Not too bad, slightly “vanilla” for me though. Nothing exciting.
12 – OK, I like 12 a bit. It's a good, solid, strong number.
13 – No.

14 – Slightly vulnerable-looking to me, for some reason. Not strong, despite the 4 involved. But other than that, I like it.

15 – Not keen.

16 – Stronger than 14, not so much as 12. But in some ways, a better number than 12; this despite my dislike of 6, which holds me back from saying I like 16. In spite – I do like the look of 16.

17 – It's the connection with 1, which I find indifferent, that puts me off 17. I could say the same about all the numbers starting with 1, but it wouldn't be true. For some reason, it affects some numbers and not others. 17 is one of “those” numbers.

18 – Don't like. It's that simple, really. No explanation for it. Other than, maybe, that 8 reminds me of a spider, but that's not much of an explanation.
19 – No.
20 – Decent. Don't mind 20 at all.

21 – Yeah, I like 21 actually. Not strong necessarily, but it has an artistic, free feel to it for me. Don't know why at all.
22 – Double 2. Doesn't sit well with me at all. Not fond of 22.
23 – No.
24 – Solid. Reassuring. Matter-of-fact. I like it, not too much but it's good.
25 – Hmm. Not sure of 25. Mixed feelings.
26 – I actually quite like it. Believe it or not...because it has 2 and 6 in it, two numbers I'm not keen on when they're on their own. But together, they seem to work, just.
27 – And the same with 27; quite what the appeal of 27 is for me, I don't know, but there's just an appeal there.
28 – Strong; confident. Good number.
29 – Again, unsure of this.
30 – No.
31 – No.
32 – No.
33 – Absolutely not.
34 – No.
35 – Bearable.
36 – Yes; indeed this is a shock, because it features 3 and 6 – probably my two least favourite numbers. But like 26, when they're put together, the story is so much different. 36 to me is a symbol of solidarity, sensibility, rationality, strength.
37 – Hmmm......not too fond, don't mind it that much. In certain fonts, I like 37, and in others, absolutely not.
38 – Mixed feelings again, but this time erring towards a dislike. It's unstable-looking.
39 – No.
40 – Yes. Like with several others here, 40 is solid and strong. It is comforting to me.
41 – Reverse of 14, and I much prefer this to 14. Good number.
42 – YES! I love 42. Don't ask me why; it just “does it” for me, something clicks.
43 – No.
44 – YES! ABSOLUTELY YES! I won't say any more.
45 – Yep, good number is 45.
46 – No, I don't like it particularly. 4 followed by 6 doesn't sit well.
47 – Yes. A flamboyant number, yet equally as strong as the others.
48 – Not particularly.
49 – No.
50 – No.

51 – No.
52 – No.
53 – Absolutely not.
54 – Slightly bearable.
55 – Absolutely not.
56 – Yeah, just about.
57 – No.
58 – No.
59 – No.
60 – Not particularly.

61 – No.
62 – No.
63 – No.
64 – Yes. Strong – defiant, solid, stands out from the others.
65 – Hmm...I suppose it's alright.
66 – No. Absolutely no.
67 – YES. Don't know why really, it just has an appeal to me. It's quite artistic, has a flair to it that I see in it. A maverick streak; sets it apart from other numbers.
68 – 'No.
69 – No.
70 – Meh.

71 – Meh.
72 – Yeah, I'm alright with 72. Decent.
73 – Absolutely not.
74 – Yeah, again, a good number. Just.
75 – Yes. The epitome of solid, strong numbers. This is a good, powerful number.
76 – Not quite so keen, but it's not bad.
77 – Yes. I like this; double 7 does it for me – not much, but enough.
78 – Hmmm... I don't particularly mind it.
79 – No.
80 – No.

81 – Not fond. It's my old house number, but I never liked it that much.
82 – It's OK.
83 – No.
84 – Actually yes, a marginal call here. I like 84. Don't know why.
85 – Er....again, another borderline decision. I'm going for “like”, just.
86 – No.
87 – Er..........actually YES. I like 87, the 7 appears to be leaning on nothing and about to imminently fall over, which anywhere else would make me dislike it because it appears vulnerable. But here, next to 8, seems like 7's home. I like 87, a lot.
88 – Not particularly.
89 – No.
90 – Erm...yeah, it's relatively alright.

91 – No.
92 – It's OK.
93 – No. Absolutely not.
94 – OK.
95 – I'm warming to it. Over time. It's decent.
96 – Yeah....yeah, I like 96. 9 leans on 6, which compliments 9 nicely indeed. Good number.
97 – Er, no. Marginal call.
98 – No.
99 – No.

100 – No.
101 – No.
102 – No.
103 – No.
104 – A little.
105 – Yeah, quite strong-looking. It's alright.
106 – Again, alright.
107 – Yeah, looking stronger and better now.
108 – YES. Symbol of hope and strength.
109 – Not particularly. Doesn't do it for me.

Selected others:-

111 – No.
112 – Yes. Absolutely.
120 – Yes.
123 – Absolutely not.
127 – Somehow, this does it for me.
133 – No. Never.
135 – Strangely solid. How, I don't know.
140 – Yes.
144 – Yes.
145 – Yes.
147 – YES! Hey, I've been brought up with snooker, how can I not like 147?
175 – Yes.

Impressive? :-D

I find with numbers like 3 in particular, I do absolutely nothing in threes. Nothing at all.

Washing my hands, it's: 1) Soap rubbed four times on right hand, 5 times on left hand; 2) left hand under water, rinse 5 or 7 times, followed by right hand 5 or 7 times; 3) right hand dry with towel - each finger twice followed by back of hand then palm, then same with left hand; 4) Lie towel nice and symmetrical on the towel rack. Both ends equally pulled down, totally even.

When I'm scrolling down a web page, if there's information I want to read that's below where I'm looking, I click the "down" button on the side twice or four times. If four times means I go down too far, I go up another one. Never, ever 3.

When I'm preparing to take a shot, in snooker; pull cue back four, five or seven times before striking cue ball.

When I'm preparing to shoot at a target, with a gun; it's two or five deep breaths and then shoot.

Making a cup of tea: once I've taken the teabags out (always two teabags), and put in 2.5 teaspoons of sugar (always 2.5, never 3), and added some milk, I stir the tea either 10 or 11 times before hitting the side of the cup 4 times. Even here, never, ever 3.

When I'm walking: I keep mental note of the number of steps I'm taking. I usually restart once I get to about 12. More often than not, if I approach a door, or the end of my journey, on a relative of 3, I take another step. Never, ever 3.

I think you get the idea here (I hope! :lol: ).

But that's just me. I want to know, are there any numbers you particularly like/dislike? Why?

Are there any you downright avoid, as I do?

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Last edited by daniel123 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skyline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 pm    Author: Skyline    Post subject: Re: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

Absolute classic of a thread. ;-)

Wow. I'm gonna attempt to do the same thing.

0. Quite a satisfying number.
1. A very strange number, if you think about it. You can't do too much with it though, except count.
2. Our first prime number. I like prime numbers.
3. Great number. Always liked it.
4. Kind of wimpish. Not particularly a fan, but it'll do.
5. Very mischievous looking number. Plus, it's prime.
6. Meh.
7. It's prime. And very good.
8. Very fat. Not too keen on it, either.
9. Overrated. 11 can do a lot more cool stuff. Meh.
10. A rather bland number. Not a fan of most multiples of 10, either.

11. My favourite number. Plus it's my house number. And a very interesting number at that, too. Plus, it's prime. I like all multiples of 11.
12. Not bad. One of my favourite childhood jumpers had this number on.
13. Doesn't deserve the hate. Not unlucky, at all (why do people even consider 13 to be unlucky?) I commonly wind up with seat 13 on a plane when I easyJet off to Corsica, and usually I'm lucky not to have someone sit next to me. And it's prime. A great number.
14. Quite good.
15. Something about this number that reminds me of a soldier. Don't ask.
16. Very feminine number. Kinda reminds me of Ariel from the little mermaid.
17. Something very scruffy about this number. It is prime, though, so I like it.
18. Absolutely brilliant number, plus it's my birthday number. Numbers starting with 18 just look so neat.
19. Good stuff. It's prime, too.

20. Don't like this number at all. Plus it's too fat.
21. Meh.
22. It's a multiple of 11. So it's automatically awesome.
23. It's prime, doesn't mean I like it. Overrated.
24. A very round, mainstream number. I have no qualms with it.
25. Alright.
26. Meh.
27. Not bad, plus it's a cube number.
28. My old house number. Something very comfortable about this number, too.
29. An excellent duo of digits. I'm known as 29 on another forum. (Well, 29403 but shortened). And it's prime.

30. Not bad.
31. Pretty cool number.
32. Meh.
33. A multiple of 11, and it's fantastic. And I wear this number for the baseball team. And 33 squared is the amazing 1089.
34. It's OK.
35. Reminds me of a rockstar.
36. I like it.
37. Reminds me of frogs.
38. Nice.
39. Meh.

40. Not too keen on it.
41. It's prime, but very wimpish.
42. Absolutely not.
43. Meh.
44. Yes.

59. A childhood number, prime, and cool looking. I love it.

All multiples of 11 are great numbers.

Last edited by Skyline on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daniel123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

Very interesting indeed. 3, you like 3? How, why? :shock:

Yes, I'm sure this thread will go down as one of the best in our forum's history... ;)

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

selv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm    Author: selv    Post subject: Re: Numbers

Yes Danny you're absolutely right,just like a lead balloon...but before it hits the deck here are my numbers...
1....nope.
2....nope.
3....yep. red.
4...nope.
5....yep.red.
6....nope.
7....yep.red.
8....nope.
9....yep.red.
10....nope.
11....nope.
12....yep.red.
13....yep.black.
14....yep.red.
15....nope.
16....nope.
17....nope.
18....yep.red.
19....nope.
20....yep.black.
21....yep.red.
22....nope.
23....nope.
24....yep.
25....nope.
26....yep.black.
27....nope.
28....yep.black.
29....yep.black.
30....nope.
31....nope.
32....nope.
33....nope.
34....nope.
35....yep.black.
36....yep.red.

As you can see these are my lucky roulette numbers, so if you put 20p on each one of these for one spin I bet you will win £7-20 :) :) :) :) :) :) : :) :|.... :smt023 try it at your local bookies :smt023 ...

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:06 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

Very interesting indeed selv - and I've never been called Danny on here before either! :lol: :P

I suppose I created this to see if anyone else had the same kind of tendency as me, to like/dislike certain numbers.
Why I did every single number from 1 to 109, I really don't know...

selv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 pm    Author: selv    Post subject: Re: Numbers

147 – YES! Hey, I've been brought up with snooker, how can I not like 147?

Hi Dan, just noticed the number above,so if we are talking snooker then mine will be my highest break which was..
89 -and never to be beaten since :( :( :roll: ;)

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:58 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

Well, since we are on the subject...

...you've done a lot, lot better than me. I imagine you've been playing for a long time? I first set my eyes on a snooker table when I was about 4, but I've only been playing with any regularity for just over a year (usually only once a week, also).

So be prepared...for a shock. My highest break I made last year. A PHENOMENAL -

16. :shock: :lol: :smt009

I think the appropriate phrase is "room for improvement"... :smt023 :eyes:

mr_northern_guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:27 am    Author: mr_northern_guy    Post subject: Re: Numbers

I like 10 and 5 the most. I've also tended to use 31, 7, 20 and 12 on lottery lines recent. Let's just say that on that day (31/7/2012) my life changed...sort of. 13 is also good for me (shock horror).

I absolutely hate the number 4...and 26 should be bad for me, simply because my life (sort of) changed on that day as well.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:03 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

Bump ;) :-D

I've recently found the number 4642, and have become kind of addicted to it. I think it's the perfect number - it has 4, 64, 42 and 24, and backwards it's 2464.

Lovely stuff :D

Dr. Hindsight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm    Author: Dr. Hindsight    Post subject: Re: Numbers

I like 7. If I'm playing for a sports team or something where wearing a numbered jersey is required, and 7 isn't available, I go with 17, 27, or 77.

And that's it. No crazy long list for me.

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

I'm warming to 16. As with 24, which I now upgrade to "very good number indeed". :smt023

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject: Re: Numbers
Forum Games Moderator

Bump.

I've just discovered I was the 42nd member with a username starting with "D" to join this site. This makes me very happy. :D

[ 12 posts ] 
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]