Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.

Deal Or No Deal
Deal or No Deal Fansite and Forum: Welcome to DOND, the home of Deal or No Deal fans.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 am Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 am

Contestant applications for the 2024 filming of Deal or No Deal are now OPEN! More info here.

New user? Register to join in! Returning user? Login (or reset your password).

Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you like fireworks?
Poll ended at Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:11 am
Yes - I don't mind people setting off fireworks 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
No - I don't like fireworks and think they should be banned 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
I think there should only be fireworks at public displays with a professional 40%  40%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 22

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:11 am    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject: Poll Of The Week (4) - Do you like fireworks?

Warnings: 0
This week was bonfire night where hundreds of people let of all their fireworks but what is your feeling on fireworks?

Do you enjoy fireworks going off for days on end, or would you prefer an out-right ban, or should they just be kept for public displays and no more.

For me I don't mind fireworks, it's more the people who are stupid with them and don't realise how dangerous they can be that annoy me.

h2005

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:06 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

As I said in the other thread...

Quote:
They are pretty to look at, yes, but also horribly dangerous and noisy. Not only do they upset domestic pets, but they also upset farm animals and even wildlife. Not mentioning the number of bonfires that end up destryoing hedgehogs etc.

The thing is, people are buying cheap ones that are made in China and they often aren't made to the standards they should be, meaning they are dangerous... two examples have already been given in this thread. :?

I think the safety laws should be tightened up on this one. I find it amazing that in some places, hanging baskets are banned because they might fall down. Yet people can buy their own fireworks and have their own displays with no safety checks by any authority at all. It's the disgrace that is health and safety these days that is concentrating on the wrong things.

So overall... I'm voting for "I think there should only be fireworks at public displays with a professional".

"The Banker"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:28 pm    Author: "The Banker"    Post subject:

I went for 'I think there should only be fireworks at public displays with a professional'.

Fireworks are pretty to look at and can make an evening fun, but like mike said, they can be dangerous if in the wrong hands. I think if they allowed fireworks at public displays only, it would reduce the amount of fireworks going off altogether and be of less disruption to animals, plus they'd be less accidents as they'd be used by professionals who know what they are doing and know whether they are working with correct fireworks and make it as safe as possible.

Tom22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:46 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

I wouldn't be bothered if they were banned altogether as they are very dangerous and can be used as weapons, but I think they should be allowed just in the hands of professionals. Some professional firework displays can be very impressive amazing to watch so I voted for the third option.

daniel123

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:41 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

Yes i love the things, and I've been doing the family fireworks(organizing, handling, setting off etc) (and i mean, the whole family) round my nan's house since 2002. If you want to come on 23/11, it's £250 a pot :-D

Erm, anyway. I like fireworks. A lot.

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

h2005

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:11 pm    Author: h2005    Post subject:
Administrator & Global Moderator

Erm... you've been handling fireworks since you were... 7?! :shock: :?

Tom22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:15 pm    Author: Tom22    Post subject:

h2005 wrote:

Illegal and ridiculously stupid...

hammondstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:45 pm    Author: hammondstar    Post subject:

Solskjaer's always been partial to a few cheesy Quavers.

As long as they're sandwiched between a bit of tesco sardine & tomato 'squidgy' paste.

daniel123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:48 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

Tom22 wrote:
h2005 wrote:

Illegal and ridiculously stupid...

Yes i know, and I'm not sorry to say that just about sums up me.

Oh, and for the record, i was handling fireworks only to take them out of the box and count them, and read their names so i could write them down. And later on in the night my grandad would set them off. But last year they decided to let me set them off aswell, and it's been like that since. Perfect in other words, especially now, thanks to Epcot, i have some idea of a good firework display. But i somehow dont think ours really compare with the Epcot fireworks :-D

Like Tom Hanks and his football on that island in 'Cast Away', it looks like it's just me and the bots here now. But that's alright, we're having a grand old time. Aren't we, Wilson? WILSOOOON?!

A few of us who were once part of the furniture, once stalwarts of the grand and extravagant, exuberant and thriving forum, have receded back into the walls, still faintly visible, still here as poignant, reminding relics of an era gone by; but most of us have vanished, forever immersed in the mists of time.

Sam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:37 pm    Author: Sam    Post subject:

No problems at all as long as they're not cheap and dangerous.

hursty2211

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:08 pm    Author: hursty2211    Post subject:

they are alright in moderation..but we hear the noisy things all year round..so by the time its nov..we are sick of them..they took it a little too far this year and decided to keep up with the annoying noise till gone 11pm..when people are in work and kids are in school.

alexb7873

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:25 pm    Author: alexb7873    Post subject:

no they suck a$$

Michael DeVere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:06 pm    Author: Michael DeVere    Post subject:

Yeah I dodn't mind fireworks but when they keep going off a month after the event it can get annoying. You're just sitting there and all of a sudden you hear some massive explosive which scares the life out of you.

daniel123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:40 pm    Author: daniel123    Post subject:
Forum Games Moderator

hursty2211 wrote:
they are alright in moderation..but we hear the noisy things all year round..so by the time its nov..we are sick of them..they took it a little too far this year and decided to keep up with the annoying noise till gone 11pm..when people are in work and kids are in school.

by the way, we dont go to school at 11PM. And in reality, most of them aren't as noisy as you think

Cazza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:12 pm    Author: Cazza    Post subject:

We love fireworks and saw an amazing display (a spectacular one in the village where we now live).

I can honestly say it was the best UK display I've ever seen and lasted at least 30 minutes :D

KP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:38 pm    Author: KP    Post subject:
International Forums Moderator

Middle way here; fireworks in the hands of the average Joe are dangerous and unimpressive, fireworks in the hands of trained professionals are safe and very very shiny :D

(Also, it would be much easier to avoid the noise if that is of concern. It is for me.)

I introduced utility theory to the forums. Blame me.
In your choices, beware of words leading you astray. Think in a balanced way about potential gains and losses.

hursty2211

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:31 pm    Author: hursty2211    Post subject:

Daniel..I meant that people and kids have to get up the next day for school and work! not school at 11pm!..and yes they are annoying when you hear them all day and all night at all months of the year! ..and have done a hard days work..obviously that is sonething you dont do..BUT ALL OUR HOUSEHOLD DO..was just having my opinion..pardon me for breathing!

cookie_monster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:49 pm    Author: cookie_monster    Post subject:

hursty2211 wrote:
Daniel..I meant that people and kids have to get up the next day for school and work! not school at 11pm!..and yes they are annoying when you hear them all day and all night at all months of the year! ..and have done a hard days work..obviously that is sonething you dont do..BUT ALL OUR HOUSEHOLD DO..was just having my opinion..pardon me for breathing!

Don't worry Maria, Daniel can be a bit 'off' sometimes ;)

hursty2211

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:22 am    Author: hursty2211    Post subject:

Thankx cookie

Maria x

matthew17

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:41 pm    Author: matthew17    Post subject: Re: Poll Of The Week (4) - Do you like fireworks?

I think there should really only be professional firework displays. sure, it's nice to try it out yourself, but sometimes it can go horribly wrong (one time my family were doing fireworks, one of the fireworks fell on its side when it was lit :shock: there was no damage or anything though).

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Deal or No Deal forum index » General Forums » General DiscussionAll times are UTC [ DST ]